Reg questions (Should I exchange, Should I keep?) New diver needs advice!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I am going to end up going with the Sherwood Maximus. I like the concept of being able to adjust it, the underarm routing, and the fact it has all of the features of the Blizzard. I just can't decide if that feature is worth the extra $100. Does anyone have any insight on this? And I thank everyone for the info on the HOG, I just like the ability to get a sherwood locally services.

So Blizzard vs. Maximus, any thoughts?

I am in Michigan as well but my diving is in warm water. I have had nothing but good experiences with both Leisure Pro and Dive Right in Scuba. I personally dive EDGE/HOG regs and LOVE them.

If you are interested I have a set of regs that have only been used for 1 week in Coz and then about 10 dives in fresh water at quarries in Ohio. They were then serviced at Scuba Centers of Michigan in Lincoln Park in November of 2011 and have not been used since. The guy that had them can no longer dive due to medical problems. Apex sealed 1st stage, Zeagle Tech-50D second and an Oceanic Alpha octo. Perfect for the diving you are going to do and far less expensive than buying new. If you are in SE Michigan you are probably not far at all from the shop that serviced these and would do so again for you in the future.

DRIS will gladly teach you how to service your HOG regs in classes they provide. I was inquiring with them about the HOG regs until I ran into a killer deal on some used Scubapro equipment. The Scubapro piston regs are legendary, but not the best for very cold water, as I understand it. The Scubapro diaphragm 1st stages, MK 17 in particular, have a great cold water reputation. A number of folks here on SB are very happy with their HOG equipment.

ScubaToys is a Sherwood, Hollis and Hog Dealer. Everything they sell online carries a full mfr's warranty. Scuba Diving Regulators Just Regs with reviews on sale

I would suggest that you call them as the prices listed are what they have to advertise online...

In order to take the Hog class you have to have a tech certificate first. And they're DIN, the Edge line is their yoke equivalent. It may not matter locally but for travel DIN tanks are generally harder to find.

Since you bought your gear at LeisurePro (10 yrs. ago?), they've become more mainstream. I'm fairly certain they're now both an authorized Oceanic (i.e. Hollis) and Zeagle dealer now as well - maybe others. Prices probably aren't as good as they used to be...

I think I am going to end up going with the Sherwood Maximus. I like the concept of being able to adjust it, the underarm routing, and the fact it has all of the features of the Blizzard. I just can't decide if that feature is worth the extra $100. Does anyone have any insight on this? And I thank everyone for the info on the HOG, I just like the ability to get a sherwood locally services.

So Blizzard vs. Maximus, any thoughts?

We have several Blizzards in the family and they do a fine job, even under the ice. When I was buying (2005) I too considered the Maximus. My LDS considered it more to mess with and not really needed so he actually sold be down (he was ordering them in either way). The under arm routing is liked by some. For most it's more parts/failure points looking for a problem to solve. I'd save the $$.

Pete

The under arm routing is liked by some. For most it's more parts/failure points looking for a problem to solve. I'd save the $$.

Your LDS did not know what they are talking about. While a Maximus does have more parts than a Blizzard but so does any other second stage that adjusts, so if you criticize the Maximus as overly complicated then you also criticize several highly regarded seconds like the G-250V, S-600, and XTX-50, etc. The underarm routing does not add a failure point because the second stage is designed to have the hose route from the bottom. It does not use a 90 degree elbow. Over the Blizzard the Maximus adds the moisturizing fins of the Oasis, adjustability of the second stage, and an adjusting ring to the first stage. Is it worth the extra money? Probably not but that is the same with any other manufacturers top of the line regulator.

ScubaToys is a Sherwood, Hollis and Hog Dealer. Everything they sell online carries a full mfr's warranty. Scuba Diving Regulators Just Regs with reviews on sale

I would suggest that you call them as the prices listed are what they have to advertise online...

In order to take the Hog class you have to have a tech certificate first. And they're DIN, the Edge line is their yoke equivalent. It may not matter locally but for travel DIN tanks are generally harder to find.

Since you bought your gear at LeisurePro (10 yrs. ago?), they've become more mainstream. I'm fairly certain they're now both an authorized Oceanic (i.e. Hollis) and Zeagle dealer now as well - maybe others. Prices probably aren't as good as they used to be...

Sorry that I was unclear on this. I originally looked at some gear and get certified 10 years ago. All the gear (aside from my fins) that I own now, is less than 1 month old.
I just want to get the best regulator for normal and cold water diving, that I can have easily serviced. I don't mind my Cressi, but none of the local shops list them as carried items, and that makes me nervous. Same thing with the HOG, sounds great, and might want one at some point, but right now, I don't even have the time to service it myself, let alone properly.

I am heavily leaning towards Sherwood still, just trying to find breathing effort comparison's to the Cressi MC9-SC (Black) that I currently have.

I can not imagine any reg breathing easier than my HOGs. Just not possible.

I dont get the worry about sending regs out to get serviced. Unless your LDS is going to service them while you wait, or you have enough pull with them to get your regs moved to the front of the line over all the other reg sets that have been dropped off to be serviced, you are probably going to be without your regs about the same amount of time it takes to ship them out and get them back. Also, if you are diving so much that shipping your regs out to get serviced is going to cost you a significant number of dives, you probably have a back up set. So if you have a back up set just have them serviced at opposite times from you main set and you will always have a set to dive with. Heck, I go months without diving and I know have three reg sets...and not I dont have more money than brains. If that were the case I would be so dumb I would probably forget to breathe :)

I like the Atomic regs, the B2 is sealed and ready for cold water diving. The Hollis DC2 is a great one as well. I agree with you LDS about the Cressi regs. Not a fan, their mask, fins, and snorkel are great but regs not so much. We beat all LP prices, so if you find it on LP for less let me know and we will beat it. We are an auterized dealer for Oceanic, Tusa, Cressi, Hollis, and Atomic so you would get the full warrenty. You can email me at sales@sugarlandscuba.com.

I get particually irrate by those reccomending regulators who consider 40 degrees cold. I have dove many Oceanic regs and took my SR1 out yesterday for a dive. Air temp in the low 20's water 34. The failure rate increased logrythmically as you approach the freezing point of the water you are diving in. All of the free flows I have expirenced are second stage orientated. Environmentally sealed diaphragm 1st stages are most immune to failure but as I said most failures are 2nda stages.

My SR1 free flowed twice on the dive. Both times I switched to my old posiedon which gave me no problem. The acid test is switching to a floodedl reg that is anything but dry. Another diver with a SR1 also free flowed. Since he only had a single tank so his dive was over. Under water I switched back to the SR1 only to have it free flow again. So I turned off its tank and 5 min latter pressured it back up and it had melted, I stayed with the posiedon through the rest of the dive. Similar things have happened with a bunch of Oceaics. The most reliable were their servo valve Zeta and Omega 2nds. I have never had my Oceanic 1st stage fail or the Sherwood. I've seen unsealed Cressie's that say they are cold water. COLD is relative and there is no way an unsealed reg is cold water.
!
I think that some blame for the second stage failures is due to the change in dynamics of various springs at low temps so I am going to detune both SR1's and see what happens on our next dive. Blizzards have fewer springs, metal strips that warm the seat assembly from your exhaled breath and do not breathe as easy. The more springs you have the harder it is to make a RELIABLE ice reg IMHO.

Done for now...I will edit my post latter to finish my thoughts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom