Rescue Diver Class Completed!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Completed EFR today so I'm now a Rescue Diver!

I'd go with PIR8 ... yes, it is physical but unless you're particularly unfit it won't kill you - if it does, you're in the right place with all those potential rescuers :wink:. You just need to maintain control of each situation and remember the drills.

After the pool last night, I am in agreement with PIR8 and oconnor69. :) Remembering how to do everything correctly is the hardest thing - that, and getting kicked in the groin when playing victim.
I also missed one stinking question on the test. :)
Fun class, can't wait to do the checkout and scenarios.

It was definitely physically challenging, but swimming is something that generally keeps your senses busy, and trying to remember all the proper steps WHILE swimming in somewhat of a proper direction... well, let's just be glad chewing gum isn't involved in diving, ha!

I take my second class tonight. I hope I can concentrate. My mind is like mush.

I take my second class tonight. I hope I can concentrate. My mind is like mush.

It will probably be a good distraction for you. Take your mind off some other things.

It will probably be a good distraction for you. Take your mind off some other things.

You're right. When I went last Sat for my make up class, I was really glad that I did. I finished the knowledge reviews for the last 2 chapters of the book so I will review the first 3 chapters when I get home from work tonight before leaving for class.

Dutch Springs for the water training on 9/29 will be a BIG distraction.

Congrats on getting your Rescue Diver. My wife and I are doing that now. One more pool session then we get to do our open water scenarios in San Carlos next month. Kinda fun but a lot of stuff to remember. It is one of those things: nice to know but I hope I never have to use it.

Have a great day
Steve

Did all you do a pool sesssion? All we had was 2 days at the lake an 2 day's in the classroom. Not to mention they held the EFR class 3 hour's prior to the rescue. 7-10 EFR 10-4 Rescue. Seemed like the victim's were looking for revenge. My favorite class an most rewarding to date was for Nitrox! I still play with the numbers to see what I can do.
Congrats on continuing your education!
Jeff

I had two days in a nice cool UK quarry... I think at least as useful as the rescue skills themselves is the greater awareness I've dveloped from both the reading and the skills sessions.
This will hopefully reduce the need to use the rescue skills!

We also have 2 classroom sessions and 2 days at a cold quarry. Our instructor said last night that the water still should be pretty warm, and if the air temp is around 70 or so, it won't be too much of a hassle suiting up in a 7mm. (I don't have a dry suit).

I took the written test last night and scored a 94. 3 wrong. I'm not too dissatisfied with that score. One question I got wrong was about what would cause a weight belt failure. I had absolutely no idea and checked all of the above. I also got wrong the quickest tow method (just totally forgot that one) and giving rescue breaths when you're more that 10 minutes from the boat or shore. Considering I read that chapter after my dad died and had a bit of trouble concentrating, I think I did pretty well under the circumstances. And since I went over which questions I got wrong and understand them now, I feel a lot more confident.

It was difficult even going to the class last night, but I am glad that I went. (Like you said Pir8, it got my mind off of things). We have a really nice class. 9 people so when we do the scenarios, we will be able to work in teams.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom