Single BM tank on a Nomad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carrie,

I dived the Nomad with a single HP100, it's fine. It's not as stable as a backplate, but the difference is really minimal so it's not really much of an issue. I'm sure an AL80 would be perfect.

Just cam bands.

Any chance of you posting some pics? Pretty please? :)

Any chance of you posting some pics? Pretty please? :)

Wish I could but I don't store my tanks here... although there is nothing really interesting about it, it looks just like any other backplate that doesn't use an STA. There are two webbing slots on the soft backplate for the cam bands to thread through, that's it really..

Wish I could but I don't store my tanks here... although there is nothing really interesting about it, it looks just like any other backplate that doesn't use an STA. There are two webbing slots on the soft backplate for the cam bands to thread through, that's it really..

And you dive a . . .? Transpac?

Yeah..with a Nomad wing, but that's irrelevant.

Not to someone sniffing out this sidemount thinga-majig. :)

Nomad Sidemount rig = Transpac w/Nomad Wing

Its based around the Transpac, which is also(IMO) the biggest dissadvantage of the system :p but good(I guess) on flexibility.

To ring up an old thread, I have to dive single tanks on my Nomad fairly regularly. I try to avoid 8 inch bottles, but I keep a STA with cam bands and Stab plates in my dive bag just in case. Easy enough to bolt the sucker on and call it good. It's a lot of extra wing I guess. I have the original Nomad and the bungees on the wing don't do a whole lot to compress it except keep it from tacoing. I dive dry most of the time with HP120's so I don't need a whole lot of wing most of the time. I put the slides on the wing inside of a slide lock a la D-Ring to keep the wing tucked way it. It restricts a fair amount of it's lift, but I only need about 30lbs max to float on the surface and I have more than enough in there. It does squeeze your sides a bit when fully inflated which is the only downfall. Best of luck

I'd like to revive this thread again, and pardon the ignorance if I am missing something here as I just purchased a Nomad XT to be able to use it for single BM tanks and side mount (as I progress anyway).

Based on the video on Dive-Rite TV, you can change the lift capacity of the Nomad wing from 35-60 pounds.

Dive Rite TV channel, diving videos, dive gear videos, training videos: Dive RIte Scuba

Was this feature not available when the thread was originally posted?

It would seem that the 35lb lift would be fairly close to the lift of the travel wing, which should be fine for single BM tanks.

Again, please correct me if I am wrong as this is exactly what I plan to do.

Thanks.

That's not a feature on all Nomads, only the newer ones.

I just noticed that the Nomad on the video is the EXP not the XT, but when reading the XT page on Dive Rite's website:

"A longer Gusset Control System (GCS) now allows the diver to control lift by controlling the profile of the wing. This is especially important for divers who wear aluminum tanks when sidemounting or dive the Nomad XT with a single tank.

Gusset Control and without using the wing keepers on the waist belt, the Nomad XT delivers a full 60 lbs of lift. Using the GCS and wing keepers, divers are able to streamline the wing's lift according to the tanks they will carry."

SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Sidemount, Rebreather, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - Nomad XT Sidemount Rig

???

As mentioned, I just purchased the XT and literally picked it up a few days ago. It's been in the closet as I haven't had time to start playing with it. Now I'm going to just out of curiosity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom