Single BM tank on a Nomad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:thumb: My XT does not have the tabs.

Of course, if I need 35 lbs of lift, I'll just go to my BP/W . . . .

Bear with me here, and sorry for the redundancy, but:

My XT has the tabs on the top and middle of the wing just like the online XT manual shows. And in that manual it states:

"By tightening the cord, users can limit lift capacity to only what’s needed for a particular
application."

Again this is the manual for the XT, not the EXP. We can see the EXP on the video with tabs in upper, middle and lower positions. It actually specifies the lift changes for the EXP on the video. The XT lift capacity changes are not noted, it just says you can control the lift with the cord based on whatever application you need.

However, the only way I can see to do this on the XT is to cut the cord to the length, but then you are limited to only that lift capacity. I guess you could technically have two different cords, but who would want to go to that hassle.

So now I'm wondering if this is a misprint? I might have to call Dive Rite on this one, just out of pure curiosity.

Oops, I stand corrected. This is my wing:

SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Sidemount, Rebreather, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - Nomad XT Wing

What I should have been trying to say is that my XT wing has one long tab closer to the upper middle of the wing where the cord passes through; however, there are 2 rings on each side of the wing in the top and middle section. Right now my cord is clipped to the middle rings. I am wondering if you could pass through this middle ring and connect to the top ring; thereby pulling the wing down to reduce lift capacity. Or course, that might be a silly notion.

I don't know. I'm just back to Dive Rite's Nomad XT manual saying you can use the cord to change the lift capacity.

Ok, here is an actual picture of my XT wing just to make it easier for those following the thread than trying to see the one on Dive Rite's website:

XT.jpg

What I am talking about doing is something along the lines of this:

XT1.jpg

Now that might not be the correct way, or even in the same ballpark, but it does somewhat pull in the wing at the top middle, similar to what is on the Nomad EXP video (although the entire wing side is pulled in on the EXP).

Anyway, as I said, I'll try to put in a call to Dive Rite tomorrow and ask if the XT wings lift capacity can be changed. If they laugh at me, I'll let ya'll know.

And, Jax, I agree with you on the easy of simply just changing to a different BC, but curiosity has always driven me...and it always will. If they say it can be done, then I want to know how! LOL.

That's what my (original) Nomad looks like. There is no other tab. If you want to decrease the lift on that, just pull the bottom of the wing farther out along the waist strap and lock it in place with belt slides. This will limit the expansion of the air bladder.

Just as a follow up to my promise, I emailed Dive Rite service and did not get a response; however, when I PM'd Dive Rite on this board, Kathleen responded very quickly.

Her answer follows Rob's above as relates to the lower portion, but she does say that tightening the GCS cord can limit lift as well. So now I'm wondering if what I did in the pics above is correct for the top portion.

Below is Kathleen with Dive Rite's response:

Sorry you've not heard back from service, but I'm glad I have the opportunity to respond. Because the Nomad wing is held down by the waist belt on the lower portion of the wing, there is no need for the GCS cord at the bottom portion. In order to restrict lift for single tank diver, you'll want to play with tightening the GCS cord at the top and keep the wing attached to the waist belt to limit lift on the bottom. Does that make sense?

Let me know if I have misunderstood your question or if I can assist further. There is a learning curve on the lift adjustment and something all divers have to play with to find a sweet spot that works for them.

Best,
Kathleen

Jax, I still think that I will follow something similar to what you are doing when diving single BM and just use another system. Rob (Dive-aholic) has provided the same advice to me as well via PM as well as other great advice (thanks Rob). However, that said, it would be nice to take a stroll down the the Riviera Maya with my Nomad and dive single tank back mount in the open water and side mount in the cenotes once I achieve that level of competence. One BC on the trip instead of two. I believe I even read a thread in this forum where Ianr33 mentioned doing something similar.

Take care.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom