standard dependable dive computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Add my name to the list of Suunto fans. I'm using the Vyper now and waiting for the new Vyper2 to come in. My wife uses the Cobra because she liks the AI. I recommened the Gekko to 2 of my good friends. They're user friendly and you can change the batteried yourself.

Since there are so many Vyper fans here - how would you compare it to Mares Nemo Wide? I an down to Vyper 2 and Mares Nemo Wide. Big price difference though - Vyper 2 is $590 at LDS and Mares Nemo Wide can be had for $425 online.

I won't get to use it until next week, but I went through the same analysis you are doing and purchased a Cressi Sub Archimede II. Easy to read the display, very simple to use from my experimentation so far, conservative but not quite as conservative as the Suuntos I think, user-replaceable battery, nitrox capable, $250.00.

I had a Suunto Vyper, which I loved until it got stolen. I replaced it with a D6 which is also a very nice computer.

I would also check out the Suunto Vyper 2 now, that is the one I would recommend as it has user replacable batteries, big display, Nitrox and gas switching. Also has an electronic compass which is a reasonable gizmo, works better than I thought it would.

www.suunto.com

FijiBound:
I'm looking for my first dive computer. I don't need anything fancy, just something that uses safe algorithms, is reliable, and very sturdy. Nitrox compatibility would be nice, but it's not something I know anything about yet./quote]

In a separate, long-running thread about 'What dive equipment purchases do you most regret?', two common computer-related responses were regrets about buying 'air-only' and 'console-mounted'. I would add those considerations to your buying decision, along with the desirability of a 'big digit, easy to read display', as a couple of posters have suggested. The thread also points out, as another poster has mentioned, that you should buy on the basis of possible future needs, so nitrox capability is probably a desirable feature. Whatever computer you get should also have a (replaceable) display guard - if it doesn't come with one, make sure that a guard is available as an accessory (as is the case for the Vytec, several of the Dive Rite Niteks, and probably others as well).

I started with a Vytec, and also dive a Dive Rite Nitek He as a back-up for tec. Of those two, I prefer the Vytec - it is easier to use AND a whole lot easier to read, underwater, in poor vis, and limited ambient light. I prefer the wrist mount 'watch band' on the Vytec to the elastic strap on the Nitek. The Vytec gives me 3 air-oxygen mixes, selectable underwater, while the Nitek He gives 7 plus helium capability. Nice feature for trimix, but probably beyond what you need in the foreseeable future. The wireless pressure transmission feature of the Vytec is nice; not essential by any means, but nice (at a price, of course, of the optional transmitter).

I cannot say Suunto products are better than those marketed by Dive Rite, Mares, Cressi, whomever. Suunto is an instrument company - this is what they do for a living - and I liked that feature. I have found my Vytec to be both very rugged (I tend to drop things, a lot) and very reliable. I like being able to change the battery myself. I like the PC interface download capability. It is also very easy to use / set, on the surface and below the water

As for the algorithms, differences between them among manufacturers and models are more of an interesting theoretical discussion than a practical reality. Don't mean to start a controversy with that statement, just acknowledging that most dive computer algorithms are reasonable safe and conservative.

My personal recommendation would be a wrist-mounted Vytec. But, the more general suggestion is a nitrox-capable, wrist-mounted computer with a BIG display, a display guard and use-changeable batteries.

I am glad to see an experienced diver also suggesting the Vytec, can't wait until it arrives :D:D

You can find the Aeris Atmos 2 computers on closeout. Nitrox, PC downloadable, large easy to read disply, backlit, audible beeps, and can be console or wrist mounted. My wife and I each have one, as does my brother. No problems at all so far.

**EDIT** I forgot to mention that it has a user replaceable battery. :D

See scubatoys if you are interested.

Regards,

Gary

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom