What Reg should I buy.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey. I saw some really cheep regulators at Wal-Mart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok thanks DogDiver, not really looking for cheap or id yank one off an internet site. Im looking for a reliable ,trusted ,tested reg that i hope will last me about 10 years of moderate use.

Depending on budget and what you can find local service for that's possibly the Aqualung Titan. Or a ScubaPro Mk25/S600. They have the most extensive dealer networks. There are people here diving 30 year old ScubaPro regs. I certified in 1981 - both brands were available then as well.

I'm also an Atomic Aquatics fan - either their Z2/3 or B2 are solid. My first one (B1) is over 10 years old now and still going strong. My second I expect to outlive me - it's a T2.

I did a lot of research prior to buying my first regulator. In the end it happened to be from my LDS. I actually went and completed the PADI equipment specialty course which give me a better understanding of the different types of regulators out there (DIN verses Yoke, Piston verses diaphram, ballances verses unbalanced, etc), also I trto think a bit beyond the local diving I do. I ended up with a Aqualung Titan LX Supreme (DIN fitting). I live and dive around Panama City Florida, but knew I would want to dive in slightly colder waters (if you call Scottish water slightly colder....) so I went for the Titan (environmentally sealed for colder water). The DIN connector was my choice because I liked the idea of screwing the regulator directly into the tank rather than putting the yoke over the tank and then screwing them together - personal preference. So the moral of the story is to understand what sort of diving you are going to do now and are likely to do in the (near) future and understand the regulator types out there and make your choice. As a side note. For my pony bottle I went for a Dive Rite Reg because it was less expensive and had good reviews.

Ok thanks DogDiver, not really looking for cheap or id yank one off an internet site. Im looking for a reliable ,trusted ,tested reg that i hope will last me about 10 years of moderate use.

Just so you know, given the same model it's the same reg whether you buy it in a shop or from an authorized online retailer. Many dive shops like to tell you that you'll die if you buy online, but it's simply not true. A Scubapro mk17 is what it is either way. Don't get sucked in to greatly overpaying to buy local.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Ok,thanks again Guys. I have decided on the Aqua Lung Titan Lx. Now my concern is I can get it 30percent cheaper from online dealer for the reg and I'm sure the gauges and octo will be about the same savings also. I want to include my LDS in the deal but 30percent is a lot of savings and probably to good to pass up. Also, I don't know how to set it all up and put it together, the LDS does but for a 30percent increase in cost that's kinda hard to swallow. Do some/all of the online dealers assemble the selection of reg/gauge/0cto for you .

Ok,thanks again Guys. I have decided on the Aqua Lung Titan Lx. Now my concern is I can get it 30percent cheaper from online dealer for the reg and I'm sure the gauges and octo will be about the same savings also. I want to include my LDS in the deal but 30percent is a lot of savings and probably to good to pass up. Also, I don't know how to set it all up and put it together, the LDS does but for a 30percent increase in cost that's kinda hard to swallow. Do some/all of the online dealers assemble the selection of reg/gauge/0cto for you .

That's a great reg choice! Most online dealers would assemble it. If not, it's very simple. If you can put the lid back on a pickle jar you can assemble a regulator set. Have you asked the local shop if they will price match? If not I wouldn't lose a bit of sleep over cutting them out. That's way too much money to give up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

You can't buy regulators at Wally world, but my guess is that he was referring to the "woe is me, I can't compete with an online or high volume dealer. Support your LDS" mentality.

It's a business, not a charity. Don't pay more for the same thing.

Great choice!
Just to be clear, there's absolutely nothing wrong with buying online. They are a business too that needs to be supported.
Most online dealers have to maintain a storefront too, it's just that they decided to get with the times and open up their store to everyone around the world while their competition sits all pissed off that nobody is coming in the door, (or in your case doesn't want the brand they carry).
Don't worry too much about buying it from your LDS, especially if they don't stock that brand, that's their fault not yours.
If they have to special order it from a company they normally don't do business with then they will not be able to discount it to match the online price.
However, there are literally hundreds of options for getting something that well known and basic serviced - like I said, anywhere in the world, except of course not for a shop that only carries Hollis, Oceanic, and Mares. But those regs are so dirt simple and bullet proof I sure would hope they could do it.

If you make sure you keep the reg pressurized on a tank while you rinse it to avoid any water entering the 1st stage inlet then you could get it serviced every 2 or 3 years. There isn't a lot in those that wears out. I have a few that haven't been serviced in probably 20 or more years (old ones that were given to me) and they still hold a steady IP and breathe fine, go figure?? I don't dive them much, I just use them for boat bottom cleaning.
I do all my own service on my regs and the Titan/Conshelf is one of the easiest. Being a diaphragm, it's also one of the best for cold water (or any water) and the sealing design of the diaphragm makes for a really bullet proof reg.

Happy diving!

a couple of things......my wife has a titan LX "supreme" about 5 years old. so i am not sure about the newest ones. but the older LX was not cold water rated while the LX supreme was. so make sure you are getting what you need. it was/is a good reg.

i personally have never seen any shop sell an unassembled reg set (unless the buyer specifically is only buying one stage) and if they do, don't buy it. the shop should bench test them before sending to you to make sure they are operating perfectly and within manufacturers specs. yes, it would be easy for you to attach the hoses etc but i assume you would not have the tools or the knowledge to make sure they are set to spec and are operating perfectly.

and finally, as i stated in a previous post, make sure either your shop can and will service them or be prepared to ship out of town when they are do for service. i know at our local shop they will charge you double the regular service rate if you did not buy them there. that is probably a rare policy but it wouldn't hurt to ask first

Back
Top Bottom