What Reg should I buy.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok,thanks again Guys. I have decided on the Aqua Lung Titan Lx. Now my concern is I can get it 30percent cheaper from online dealer for the reg and I'm sure the gauges and octo will be about the same savings also. I want to include my LDS in the deal but 30percent is a lot of savings and probably to good to pass up. Also, I don't know how to set it all up and put it together, the LDS does but for a 30percent increase in cost that's kinda hard to swallow. Do some/all of the online dealers assemble the selection of reg/gauge/0cto for you .
Well, I was going to recommend an Atomic T3!! You didn't specify a price!

Ok,thanks again Guys. I have decided on the Aqua Lung Titan Lx. Now my concern is I can get it 30percent cheaper from online dealer for the reg and I'm sure the gauges and octo will be about the same savings also. I want to include my LDS in the deal but 30percent is a lot of savings and probably to good to pass up. Also, I don't know how to set it all up and put it together, the LDS does but for a 30percent increase in cost that's kinda hard to swallow. Do some/all of the online dealers assemble the selection of reg/gauge/0cto for you .
One thing to be aware of is that if the online dealer is LeisurePro in NYC - they are not an authorized Aqualung Dealer so all warranty service is thru their equivalent program. It's listed in the fine print at the bottom of their website.

The online dealer has to be an authorized Aqualung Dealer for warranty coverage to be in effect. Of course the price will be more thru them - Aqualung fixes prices for it's dealer network. Many mfr's do also. You can check that here: Warranty & Registration

What Aqualung says about it:
If you obtain Aqua Lung products from an unauthorized dealer, your warranty will not be valid, and we cannot offer you the assurances of quality and satisfaction afforded by the Aqua Lung Warranty Program. To verify whether or not a retailer is an authorized Aqua Lung Dealer, please check our dealer locator.

For you, if you don't have an Aqualung dealer nearby - that probably doesn't matter as much. Also you won't qualify for Free Parts for Life thru them.

Should it need warranty service during the warranty period - doubtful - another Aqualung dealer would also have to charge you for that - they're not allowed to bill warranty service to a non-warranted system.

Typically Aqualung regulates the price of their product both thru their website and their dealer network. If you're getting it for substantially less than what's listed there - it's probably not covered by Aqualung. Here's the Aqualung Store link: Aqua Lung | Professional Diving Equipment I think their dealers are allowed to discount 10% if desired.

I have yet to see Aqualung gear for sale online anywhere thru an authorized dealer - their process is you order it online thru their website and they'll ship it free to your local dealer for pickup. Divers Supply might be the exception to that rule, they are with one brand IIRC - not sure if that was Aqualung though.

Buying DIN or Yoke? There's a lot of threads about that here.

DIN tanks are generally harder to find in tropical locations but it's a better connection. Just more susceptible to damage which is why you don't often see them as rentals. Yoke is slightly less reliable - I often inspect rental tank o-rings prior to use and ask them to replace any that look nicked or old. I've only had one leak my entire diving life and it didn't stop - just shortened the dive. If your plan is to mostly dive locally, you might see what your shop has available - unless you plan to buy your own tanks. I travel all over to dive, most of the Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, some of the South Pacific - mostly what I've seen are Yoke tank rentals. DIN is more popular in Europe from what I've read.

If it is LeisurePro, ask them to assemble it prior to shipment. Even if they charge you, it won't be much. They have technicians on-staff.

Or you could DIY, there's not much to it. Get the right allen key to remove the port plugs, the pressure gauge goes on a HP (High Pressure) port, everything else goes on an LP port. Typical routings are both 2nd stages over your right shoulder, inflator hose and pressure gauge over the left. About the only thing to determine is whether you want the 1st stage up or down, I like mine down and towards my head, less likely to hit it on something. Tighten all the hoses finger tight and then just a little with a wrench - not enough to strip threads - there's an o-ring there to take care of the seal. No lube of any kind is needed.

Thanks again all.
Since my last post I was brainstorming, wasn't much of a storm but I called the LDS that I like and usually buy stuff from and talked to the owner and told him my dilemma, that I wanted a reg that he doesn't carry but our other LDS does and that I found it online at a 30percent savings and if I bought it online would he put it together for me ? He said yes, and to find what I wanted and show him the price and he would get the gear at his price from elsewhere at wholesale and I will pay him what I find it for online and he would put it together for a small charge. Sounds fair to me,I support my LDS that I like and trust they will do a good job, and get a good deal on my gear. Sound about right to you all?

---------- Post added March 24th, 2014 at 01:08 PM ----------

Uh oh,Diversteve I didn't read your post before I posted mine ,now I got something else to think about. Yes it is Leisurepro where I got that price on the reg.

He's not able to offer you Aqualung warranty service either so he should be willing to match the LP price if he can. And buying locally isn't a bad idea either. Even though your dealer is buying it for you wholesale, he's still liable to you to make sure it works initially.

As Eric mentioned, if they're working on other brands, their tech should be able to service your Aqualung also. Otherwise your nearby Aqualung shop should be able to work on it for their standard price - they just can't offer warranty pricing. And they'll have the parts.

In the bigger scheme of things, warranty service is not likely needed on a new reg. Free Parts for Life doesn't save you much in the long run. Better to maintain a relationship with someone you know and trust. Personally I'd even pay a little more for that - I have twice locally.

You're not buying a new, untested model, Titan's have been around for a long time. So they've got the working correctly out of the box part pretty much dialed in...lol.
that I wanted a reg that he doesn't carry but our other LDS does
You might see what the other dealer can do for you. But he'll probably know that LP isn't an authorized dealer - most do.

I don't care what reg you buy from what shop. Local or on line. If putting it together gets you in my door or on my website I am not going to charge you to put a couple hoses and seconds on a first stage. At most it's a five minute job. A little longer if you want me to.slap an IP gauge on it or put it on the magnahelic.

I may not be able to tune it to factory specs unless you bring me those specs or I can find them on line but any reg you buy on line should come assembled and tuned if you ask for it to be done. It should be accompanied with some kind of statement saying who assembled it, what it was tuned to at what PSI supply, and what items they added such as gauges or an lp inflator hose.

Just because you bought it somewhere else does not mean I don't want you as a customer. I do and if assembling your on line purchase or purchase from another local shop gives me the chance to do that come on in.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks again all.
Since my last post I was brainstorming, wasn't much of a storm but I called the LDS that I like and usually buy stuff from and talked to the owner and told him my dilemma, that I wanted a reg that he doesn't carry but our other LDS does and that I found it online at a 30percent savings and if I bought it online would he put it together for me ? He said yes, and to find what I wanted and show him the price and he would get the gear at his price from elsewhere at wholesale and I will pay him what I find it for online and he would put it together for a small charge. Sounds fair to me,I support my LDS that I like and trust they will do a good job, and get a good deal on my gear. Sound about right to you all?

---------- Post added March 24th, 2014 at 01:08 PM ----------

Uh oh,Diversteve I didn't read your post before I posted mine ,now I got something else to think about. Yes it is Leisurepro where I got that price on the reg.

Nope. Aqualung is pretty good gear. Good gear is not cheap, nor should it be. Go buy your Aqualung from an authorized Aqualung distributor - there are many in the DelMarVa. What youre saving now will come back for you on the servicing side. Its a pay me now or pay me later deal. Eitherway, youre gonna pay, and usually when you least want to (like a blown dive). Don't be a cheap-a$$ with your life-support equipment.

I say all this because its your first reg. Do it by the book for your first one. Then you know the ropes. Call it the price of admission. IMHO.

Nope. Aqualung is pretty good gear. Good gear is not cheap, nor should it be.
Oh boy... you're someone's favorite customer. Let me guess, you pay sticker price when you buy a car?
Don't be a cheap-a$$ with your life-support equipment.
And there it is. The famous fear-mongering phrase.

For your needs, literally ANYTHING you could find would be sufficient. If you want to spend more, do so, but don't feel like you have to.
As far as assembly, I don't know of a shop that won't assemble it for you when you buy your setup.
Also, if you're picking your gauges, octo, 1st & 2nd stages online separately you're likely leaving savings on the table. Call Scuba Toys, Leisure Pro, etc and ask what they can do for a package price.

Don't let "parts for life" be a deterrent either, because in order to keep the program you usually have to get it serviced more frequently than truly necessary, negating your savings.

Nope. Aqualung is pretty good gear. Good gear is not cheap, nor should it be. Go buy your Aqualung from an authorized Aqualung distributor - there are many in the DelMarVa. What youre saving now will come back for you on the servicing side. Its a pay me now or pay me later deal. Eitherway, youre gonna pay, and usually when you least want to (like a blown dive). Don't be a cheap-a$$ with your life-support equipment.

I say all this because its your first reg. Do it by the book for your first one. Then you know the ropes. Call it the price of admission. IMHO.

Am I 'safer' with a $1500 Atomic than with a $200 Hog regulator?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Ok stop it guys. I didn't say "buy the gold wrist watch" either and you know it.

For the OP, do your homework, and buy the best you can afford. Just don't get sucked into a "rob Peter to pay Paul" mentality.

LOL,now my little mind is a little confused and I don't know which way to go ,I deff want a warranty.Maybe I should go talk to the LDS dealer and see what they will do for me ,although they didn't seem like they were going to budge on the full MSRP the first time I went in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom