What Reg should I buy.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, look, the Titan LX Supreme is a super reg. I'm biased, I have 2, and it was the second best in the Aqua line when I bought it. Might still be. Taken them everywhere in the last 3 yrs an never a hiccup - all kids of water. And I've not serviced them yet (I do take care of my stuff religiously tho), eventhough I have the certs to do so.

But it is true, unlike in the '70s and 80's where there was bad gear, good gear, and stupendous gear, now all new gear is at least excellent in comparison to those days. And pretty robust even in the hands of a schmuck with a lawyer.

I'm just saying as your first reg, you ought to make sure that you have your butt covered, and to me that means buying from an authorized distributor that you can walk in and talk to face to face - ask all the questions, and get all the answers. Authorized answers from the horses mouth.

Now all you smarty-pants gray beards, why is that such bad advice to a new diver on this website?

Oh boy... you're someone's favorite customer. Let me guess, you pay sticker price when you buy a car?

And there it is. The famous fear-mongering phrase.

For your needs, literally ANYTHING you could find would be sufficient. If you want to spend more, do so, but don't feel like you have to.
As far as assembly, I don't know of a shop that won't assemble it for you when you buy your setup.
Also, if you're picking your gauges, octo, 1st & 2nd stages online separately you're likely leaving savings on the table. Call Scuba Toys, Leisure Pro, etc and ask what they can do for a package price.

Don't let "parts for life" be a deterrent either, because in order to keep the program you usually have to get it serviced more frequently than truly necessary, negating your savings.

I didn't know if the online stores would package price and the thought never occurred to me,do you think they would assemble the whole kit and send it to me ready to use like if I bought from a dive shop ?

Ok stop it guys. I didn't say "buy the gold wrist watch" either and you know it.

For the OP, do your homework, and buy the best you can afford. Just don't get sucked into a "rob Peter to pay Paul" mentality.
If they have you buying the best you can afford, depending on your income, you likely have been suckered.

That $200 hog is somehow preferred by many Tek divers, whose life surely "depends" on it a lot more than just about any other diver. Price does not equate to safer diving.

---------- Post added March 24th, 2014 at 02:45 PM ----------

I didn't know if the online stores would package price and the thought never occurred to me,do you think they would assemble the whole kit and send it to me ready to use like if I bought from a dive shop ?
They will absolutely do that. My Singles package ran about $550 (w/o computer). I've since changed some of the gear out, but the BC, regs, and gauges have been kept. It's hard to beat that. They put it all together for me. Honestly though, being comfortable with your gear is a good thing. If you can turn a wrench you can connect the hoses.
As noted, there is a warranty offered by LP. I've never had to use them, but they are a big company so I'd expect they'd stand by the warranty just like the manufacturer would.

Ok, look, the Titan LX Supreme is a super reg. I'm biased, I have 2, and it was the second best in the Aqua line when I bought it. Might still be. Taken them everywhere in the last 3 yrs an never a hiccup - all kids of water. And I've not serviced them yet (I do take care of my stuff religiously tho), eventhough I have the certs to do so.

But it is true, unlike in the '70s and 80's where there was bad gear, good gear, and stupendous gear, now all new gear is at least excellent in comparison to those days. And pretty robust even in the hands of a schmuck with a lawyer.

I'm just saying as your first reg, you ought to make sure that you have your butt covered, and to me that means buying from an authorized distributor that you can walk in and talk to face to face - ask all the questions, and get all the answers. Authorized answers from the horses mouth.

Now all you smarty-pants gray beards, why is that such bad advice to a new diver on this website?

I take it as good advice Maniago, but I am looking at all my options. I don't want to leave about 30 percent savings on the table,that's substantial savings, I don't want to be the smuck that goes into the dealer and gets taken for the full MSRP either. And to be fair I haven't asked this LDS for any kind of brake on price but they are known to be very proud off their product ,plus I really like the LDS that doesn't carry the brand I want, they have been good to me.

I take it as good advice Maniago, but I am looking at all my options. I don't want to leave about 30 percent savings on the table,that's substantial savings, I don't want to be the smuck that goes into the dealer and gets taken for the full MSRP either. And to be fair I haven't asked this LDS for any kind of brake on price but they are known to be very proud off their product ,plus I really like the LDS that doesn't carry the brand I want, they have been good to me.

Yes of course, I wasn't trying to push the Aqua, just push you to deal with a legit dealer of whatever first reg you buy. On your subsequent purchases, you can then work from (hopefully) a good experience to know what you can live without.

Also something to think about, is computers, BCs and everything else, if you don't have that either. THough especially with computers, you can usuallypush the LDS into a sweeter deal by dangling the additional purchases in front of them. It may not work out that way, but its a thought.

Ok ,I just got off the phone with an online store and the said they absolutely would send me a kit of my choice,reg,gauge ,octo all put together and tested at no charge. And that they would warrant the reg if need be I would just have to send it to them and they would take care of it in house or thru Agua lung. Sounds good to me. And if I need it routine serviced I don't see why I couldn't get that done thru my LDS.
i asked if they would give any kind of package deal and was told only if I included aBCD, already got all my other gear ,most in duplicate.

Bottom line if you want a full manufacturer's warranty on the Titan the only place to get that is from the other LDS. And pay their price.

For 30% less thru LeisurePro you'll have to decide if this is enough for you: http://www.leisurepro.com/Downloads/Warranty.pdf
Plus obviously you have to ship it to them.

From the dealer you like, I believe all he can offer is assembly and repairs at cost since he has to buy the parts also. Probably from the other shop in town...lol.

If you don't want to be the smuck, don't buy the Titan. Because that's the cost of owning one legally. I don't see it as that either - just the price of admission as posted previously.

I think you'll find substantial savings on Oceanic - check to see if your liked shop can match LeisurePro's price since both are authorized dealers. Hollis also, just stay away from Mares - IMO too much of their stuff is gimmicky. Hollis/Oceanic is also good gear - they just don't set prices like Aqualung, ScubaPro and others do. Including my favorite - Atomic. I paid the same price for my gear that LeisurePro sells it for - no one discounts it much over 10%.

Last edited:
I've never personally used it (or any scuba equipment warranty for that matter), but LeisurePro's warranty is considered just fine by most. You'll soon realize that servicing once a year is a waste of money, and every 2 or 3 or more years is fine. That 30% savings will pay for a whole lot of parts kits.

But, again, give your local guy a chance to match or get closer to the price. You never know what he might do when presented with a yes or no option.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

just stay away from Mares - IMO too much of their stuff is gimmicky.

I have two Mares their front zip 5mils and they are excellent - works like a 2 mil with the zip down, 5mil zip up, 7mil with core warmer. I don't have anything else from them. The Frenchies got this one right, IMHO.

Ok ,I just got off the phone with an online store and the said they absolutely would send me a kit of my choice,reg,gauge ,octo all put together and tested at no charge. And that they would warrant the reg if need be I would just have to send it to them and they would take care of it in house or thru Agua lung. Sounds good to me. And if I need it routine serviced I don't see why I couldn't get that done thru my LDS.
i asked if they would give any kind of package deal and was told only if I included aBCD, already got all my other gear ,most in duplicate.

Eh, that's a load of crap on a package deal. Sometimes they won't cut you anything special, so you can take your business elsewhere. Call up ST and ask them if they have the reg you want, it's also worth calling DiveAddicts. They will absolutely work with you if they can tell they're serious and likely to create return business.
Find the pieces you want separately for as cheaply as possible and be ready to counter their quote with the sum of those prices, saying you can at least get it for that separately and would love for them to beat it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom