When to start the DM course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When do you start the DM course?I'm not talking about a minimum number of dives that is required to begin the course or to be certified as one.
At what level should your skills be before you can start thinking about it?
Laurens, if you are thinking about it ,start it. I think so far everybody agrees that it is better to do an internship than a 2 week course. An internship gives you the chance to build your skills both in and out of the water with customers and helping the instructor with students. A DM 'course' can't teach you to be a divemaster. If you've come this far and you are asking the question, it obviously interests you. When you are certified as a DM, you can then decide if you want to work as one or just take the skills, knowledge and experience and get a nonteaching status card and show your Rescue when you go diving so you don't get lumbered with "duties".

I've read the other posts and it's all good advice. I particularly like Thal's comments. ItMustBeJames, Stu S. and Rick Inman are to the point as well.

So El Orans,

Everyone else has checked in on this thread except you.....

What are you thinking?

R..

Richard,

I'm telling you, I don't what you guys said in Dutch, but he's got me biting my nails!

LF.

:lol:

Not to much,but I'm not gonna tell :rofl3:

Hey EL get your butt in here,we want some responce from you

:rofl3::rofl3:

:nailbiter: >> :nailbiter:

Stop the biting:rofl3:,give some answers :D

Laurens, if you're taking it so seriously you're going to be a great DM! What's the problem?:idk:

My own view:

It is not a matter of how many dives you have done, or how many years you have been diving, or even how great your bouyancy, SAC or trim are.

Before you become a DM you should have found yourself in deep ^&#* a few times and got yourself out again. Dive long enough and it will happen, either through bad luck or bad judgment (by yourself or others). But being more comfortable dealing with unexpected *$&# ups yourself, before you are in charge of a group of other divers, is a huge asset.

So El Orans,

Everyone else has checked in on this thread except you.....

What are you thinking?

R..
Well,

several things. :)

I've done some 350 dives in all kinds of water, fresh and salt, still and tidal, cold and tropical, wetsuits and drysuits.

I have all the required certs and a few others as well.

Mentoring and teaching is something I've done quite often and still enjoy doing, as a diver as well as in my professional career as a SAP consultant.

I can't say that I'm fully confident that I'm ready to deal with everything that can happen on a dive but I do feel that I can deal with the average disaster. Just not a complete cluster:censored:. Some skills obviously require more practice. I've started drysuit diving only a few months ago so my comfort level with that suit is not the same as with my previous wetsuit. I deploy an SMB when diving in tidal waters but that's not the mainstay of my diving.

I'm not interested in adding another badge to my collection so if I decide it will be to be an active DM. This requires an LDS nearby as I've no intention to travel halfway through the country to assist with a pool session. This wouldn't be a problem for a short period but I would prefer not to do this for several years.

One thing that I can blame SB for is that I'm no longer happy with run-of-the-mill instruction. I wouldn't have taken classes from some previous instructors if had known some things before. So, if I'm going to spend EUR 600+ to become what amounts to being a paying volunteer (no tips for DMs here), I want more than just the bare minimum. For that reason I have no interest in a DM course that's crammed into two long weekends or one where all students are other DMCs. Ideally, I'd prefer to do an internship at a nearby LDS with a good and thorough instructor. I'm not in a hurry, I don't mind a longer internship just as long as it will make me a better DM.

One of the requirements for a DM is to create an underwater map. I've met instructors who more or less expected their DMCs to copy a map from the internet (Duikkaart.nl - De site voor duikkaarten in Nederland or similar). Other instructors weren't too worried about that possibility, claiming that there were still plenty sites not available on-line, thereby making sure that the map had to be created from scratch.

So, at this moment, I'm still weighing my options.

As for the why question, I see plenty of "experienced" divers who make an absolute mess of a divesite, So instead of just complaining about it, I prefer to try and do something about it.

Laurens,

You seem to be ready.:D
Nothing to do with the # of dives,or the skils, just your outlook on the DM job.
Let go of the "DIR" ( not bad but mostly unwanted),the my way is good,attitude,just follow the instructor,AND question him/her,outside of the classes.(DO SO):D

But now YOU seem to have a problem,IYO there is no LDS near you,where you would be willing to do your DM.
I'm obviously way to far out of the way.IMO you should look at one of the major divecenters in Rotterdam,or one in Zeeland.

BTW as far as the MAP goes,try to pick a new one,I allways let my DM's do a unmapped site.:D

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom