Women only?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, let's see if I can articulate my thoughts about this...

I really appreciate having a Women's Forum. I believe that often women do have different issues than men. It is helpful to have a place to discuss them ---

On one hand, I think it is a positive thing that men lurk and often gain some insight into what their women buddies might be experiencing...

I also appreciate when men make a contribution to the discussion.

On the other hand, I would prefer that there was a little less of the 'sexualizing' that sometimes happens... when a woman asks for advice about dealing with 'too large breasts' or 'bikini line issues' ... I wish there was a little less of the "can I be your dive buddy" kind of response... I DO understand that the people making those kind of responses are joking, and I try to maintain a good sense of humor about it...

I don't think this is a 'separate but equal' issue --- I think that there are differences between the issues faced by men and women divers, and for women to be the best divers they can be, and to get the most from the sport , they need a way to get information about these special issues. The bulk of the information available about diving tends to be from a men's perspective. So I think a special place for women's information is really important.

I don't think it matters whether it's called Women's Issues or Women Preferred.

So, if anyone is asking, my vote would be to keep the forum, rename it if people wish. I'd encourage men to post if they have something relevant to add or a relevant question to ask.

Scubabunny and Ladycute you both brought up good points I should have thought of.

On the other hand, I would prefer that there was a little less of the 'sexualizing' that sometimes happens... when a woman asks for advice about dealing with 'too large breasts' or 'bikini line issues' ... I wish there was a little less of the "can I be your dive buddy" kind of response... I DO understand that the people making those kind of responses are joking, and I try to maintain a good sense of humor about it...

and

On the other hand when I first joined this board, I think I gravitated to the Women's section. I was waiting to see before I posted any questions elsewhere. I think having a Women's Issues forum would be less excluding of men but would also recognize that we are also different in some physiological ways.

If a separate forum will encourage more women to post and feel more comfortable doing so, then it's definately needed. You've changed my mind! I can do that, can't I? :wink:

Originally posted by Dee
You've changed my mind! I can do that, can't I? :wink:

"Woman's" perogative!

I for one really enjoy the "Women Only" forum, makes me feel kinda like a "peepin Tom"

ID

But I like this forum specifically for the types of issues that women face that men don't (physiologically). Sharing ideas can only improve things. If some of these questions were posed in the basic discussion area, it would not interest many of the folks who frequent that area.

That being said, I have a controversial opinion that I don't believe has been voiced here yet. So I'm bracing myself for your responses.

Based on my experience, in general, women even approach the diving experience differently than men. Again, let me stress that this is both in my experience and in general. Of course there are exceptions.

Women approach diving with a more awestruck spiritualism than most of the men I have been diving with. Since this is also my reaction to most dives, I feel a connection when we discuss the dive.

My usual buddy is a man and he is somewhere close but still mostly approaches the dives with a little less awe.

So let's hear the feedback!

"Women approach diving with a more awestruck spiritualism than most of the men I have been diving with. Since this is also my reaction to most dives, I feel a connection when we discuss the dive."

I must be one of the exceptions. Each and every dive is a new and "religous" experience. Even the same place on a different date never fails to leave me awestruct as to what goes on once we slip under the barrier of the shimmering surface.

ID - The Spiritual One

Originally posted by sea nmf
Women approach diving with a more awestruck spiritualism than most of the men I have been diving with. Since this is also my reaction to most dives, I feel a connection when we discuss the dive.

Dare I suggest that you are looking at this from the wrong side?

It's not that men have less spiritualism, its that in men (statistically speaking, present company excluded etc) testosterone *tends* to overwhelm the spiritual side :D

:hiding:

I am, much to my local pals regret, a VERY outspoken proponent of women's equality in diving. When they want to embarass me they retell the story of when 3 guys and I chartered a boat. We were loading up and the DM greeted each of the guys and told them where to put their gear. I walked on my double 102's, DM came up to me and asked if I would be diving or bubblewatching. It did not go well for DM from there.

When I joined the board, the LAST forum I looked at was this one. I avoided it as conspicuously as I avoid pink slapstraps and decorated tanks. Then I started reading and saw the light.

Separate but equal was coined in reference to racially segragated education. Race has no impact on education; why be separate? We are not the same as men in many ways that do have an impact on diving. This forum recognizes that we are different AND equal. That is just what I wanted!

How about "The Women's Room"? The guys can still feel naughty.

Geez, Must we always be politically correct? What ever happened to just haven fun? Ok I’m a guy and I do look in the women only room. I also think this is the first time I posted in this room. So I vote lets call the room. The female information place but every one input is welcome . Not! What I’m trying to say is, what is in the name? It is the issues that count. Leave it like it is.
:huh:

Lighter is better. I like women. In fact I love women. Whatever makes them happy I am willing to do (not that they need a man to make them happy).

My dive partner and wife of 35 years asked me the other day if I consider her a "Dive Babe". I was taken back but then I remember the jokes about both men and women divers and the other names we call them especially if they are new or have poor diving skills. I told her she was the best "Dive Babe" I have ever seen! Shes liked that! Because? She knows that when a man (as brutal as we can be) calls a woman a "Dive Babe" That is the ultimate respect for her diving and skills.

In a sport populated by more men that women (not dominated) the women must feel that they are extremely welcomed. The DM who blew it when he said "bubble watcher"should have been reminded by all three men on board that their money spends well in other places too.

I trust my life to a great diver and wife. I known what kind of diver she is and she can do anything (and more) than most men I know.

I have just finished reading everyone's postings on this matter and I had a little think. I do believe the women only forum should stay the way it is because like all the other boards it is a place of learning. There can be to much clowning around of people who have a real concern about problems that may be big to them.

Dont get me wrong I like a good giggle as much as the next person, but there is a time and a place. :)

BUT (no comments about my big but thank you) I believe that there should be a place where a person can ask questions to people of the same sex. Not everyone is big bold and brassy and comphy talking in mixed company. Could there be a place for people to post to a select group of people, say members who are qualified but are female only, and a group who are male only. These posts would only be readable by these selected people and not posted for everyone to see. You could access these people from the main board under some name like " Personal Help " I dont know if this is even possible to set up computer wise.

Just a thought.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom