Taxi Mafia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, let's leave the Mexican taxi driver's alone.. after all : They're just trying to make a living. You can afford it. They are poor. They are exploited by the taxi company( also known as 'the man' or 'el hombre'). They are hard workers. They aren't hurting anybody. They are victims. And most importantly, don't forget they are doing the work that Americans don't want to do. Choose whichever rationalization you like the best.
Just like I said earlier on in this thread..Its not about the money....If 40 pesos is going to make or break me then I probly shouldn't be going on Vacation I agree with that...But what it is about is being Lied to in my face and trying to rip a person off, be it 5 pesos or 50 pesos its not ok atleast not with me. I go to coz 4-5 times a year and contribute my fair share to their economy I treat most people there with honesty and usually generous tips and I expect the same kind of service in return !

I have had many different types of vendors all around the world attempt to- often successfully- overcharge me. Taxi drivers in Cozumel being just one of those. It feels crumby and I hate it, but it isn't personal. It is business and the free market approach taxi drivers, tour guides, street food vendors, and even hotel clerks take all around the world is just the way it is. You think you are being ripped off, they think they are maximizing profit. I've been to a country where the wealthier locals pay more than the poorer locals, so the wealthy walk to the market or ride a bike rather than taking their scooter or car.

The free market also means we get to speak with our dollars, which means don't get in a taxi that quotes a price that is too high. While I 100% believe the stories about drivers not having any change to give back, I haven't experienced it. Ask the driver if he has a specific amount of change, if he says, "no," then just tell him you'll go into the store or to your hotel front desk to get some and you'll be right back- invite him to follow you. Either he has to wait or he magically finds some change. Again, the free market at work.

they think they are maximizing profit.

Who would have thought that a 3rd world taxi driver and Ken Lay from Enron would be able to sit down in the same room and have common ground to discuss their personal business philosophies?
:rofl3:

Let's not forgot the prices in shops that tourist notoriously try to get for less and don't feel bad about doing.

That's because the prices are inflated in the first place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Well, then, heavy sigh. I guess I am responsible for evil triumphing in the world. Wait a minute! Maybe I am not such a good man... :D

Seriously, all of you who are indignant about my attitude, what would you have me do? I have not been held up for more than maybe five bucks, in totality, by Cozumel cab drivers over the last few years of going there. I take the simple easy precautions I have written about, and in the main, it just doesn't happen to me. I cannot control how the cab drivers on Cozumel behave, but I can control how I react to the situation.

I repeat, what would you have me do? Post in here how angry I am about it? OK. Grrrrrrr. I'm angry at the mean old taxi drivers.

There. Now I have done as much about it as anyone has. :D

I repeat, what would you have me do?

Well I do more. I try to get a beer or two in the missus and then let her loose to argue in Spanish with them. Of course she got carried away at Carnival and I had to carry the 500# of beads like 4 block before we saw another taxi. I still have the groove in my shoulder....

I cannot control how the cab drivers on Cozumel behave, but I can control how I react to the situation.

I get it EXACTLY Gordon and I agree. You are not saying you condone such petty actions. You are simply saying you have chosen not to have a postal meltdown over it.

I cannot control how the cab drivers on Cozumel behave, but I can control how I react to the situation.
:thumb:

Altho I bet it is fun to watch Chief's wive argue with them.

Sounds like a good argument in favor of all inclusive resorts... I concur! While I understand they are exercising free enterprise and everyone is looking out for numero uno, it only adds to my displeasure for trekking into town nowadays. Caveat Emptor.

Back
Top Bottom