2010 SEC Football Discussion Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Toomers Corner in Auburn, the day after the game... :thumb:

167429_190503970962332_100000081914320_737779_586488_n.jpg

well... looks like it's official and this is a "one year only" fairy tale.

Cam going pro
AU QB skipping senior year; Fairley to announce today

AUBURN — Cam Newton only played one year at quarterback for Auburn, but he certainly made it count.

After winning the Heisman Trophy and guiding the Tigers to an unbeaten (14-0) season and the BCS national championship, Newton announced Thursday that he will bypass his senior season and make himself eligible for the 2011 NFL draft. Auburn teammate Nick Fairley will announce his NFL intentions today.

The junior defensive tackle could be the top overall pick. ESPN, Sports Illustrated and Sporting News label Fairley as a likely top-three pick for the draft.

ESPN analyst Mel Kiper has Newton No. 14 on his draft board; Fairley is No. 1.

Fairley’s high school football coach said the announcement will come at the player’s alma mater, Williamson High in Mobile. Non-seniors have until Saturday to declare for the draft. They have until Jan. 18 to withdraw.

Fairley was the defensive MVP of Monday night’s BCS National Championship Game victory over Oregon. He also won the Lombardi Award this year as the nation’s top lineman.

Newton consulted with Auburn head coach Gene Chizik and offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn before announcing his decision.

“This decision was difficult for me and my family,” Newton said in a statement released Thursday by the school’s athletic department. “After talking to Coach Chizik and Coach Malzahn, I think it is best that I make that next step in my career and forgo my senior season and enter the NFL draft.

“It was a very hard decision for me, especially after coming off the great season we had at Auburn. I’m blessed to have been around an excellent environment and have great teammates, coaches and support from the Auburn family.

A 6-foot-6, 250-pound junior from College Park, Ga., Newton rushed for 1,473 yards and 20 touchdowns while passing for 2,854 yards and 30 scores.

In addition to the Heisman Trophy, Newton also was honored as the Walter Camp and Associated Press National Player of the Year, and won the Maxwell Award as the nation’s top player and the Dave O’Brien Award as the country’s top quarterback.

“We appreciate Cameron’s many contributions to Auburn and the outstanding leader that he was for our football team,” Chizik said in the release. “He had one of the greatest individual seasons ever by an Auburn player and was a key part of our championship run. Cam will always be a member of the Auburn family and we wish him the best in his future endeavors.”

Newton began his college career at Florida as an understudy to former Gator quarterback Tim Tebow, and played as a freshman in five games in 2007.

He went through a redshirt year in 2008, then decided to transfer to Blinn College amid allegations of academic fraud and in the wake of Tebow’s decision to return for his senior year.

Newton led Blinn to the 2009 national junior college championship. He eventually signed with Auburn in December 2009 after a long recruiting battle between the Tigers and Mississippi State.

An instant success with the Tigers, Newton led Auburn to a 9-0 record before allegations surfaced that his father had sought financial compensation from Mississippi State in exchange for his son’s services.

The NCAA reinstatement staff determined that Cam Newton was unaware of any pay-for-play deals and was able to retain his eligibility.

The Associated Press contributed to this report

Interesting... How do you think Auburn will fare losing BOTH of those players? (Look at this past year at UF for a hint)(Let's hope that they still beat Ga, is all I'm saying! :D )

Interesting... How do you think Auburn will fare losing BOTH of those players?

I think it will slam them and definitely take them out of contention for any BCS bowl.

Auburn's got some "up and coming stars", but look at the improvement and energy of the rest of the team throughout the year.... a lot of that was energy and enthusiasm fueled by having the best player in college football leading the team....

I can't blame him for going to the pro's. but it will leave a HUGE hole that they have to fill.

It's not often you see a player come to a team for one year, have a huge season like this, win the Heisman, win the SEC Championship, win the BCS Championship... and then **poof**, he's gone (in one year).

As for Nick Fairley, he's crazy if he doesn't go. He'll be drafted FIRST ROUND, if not the FIRST PICK.

Alabama also had some heavy losses to players submitting for the Draft. Ingram, Jones, and Dareus all are leaving. Can't say I blame them either. But Bama would have likely been a contender for the BCS title next year if they'd stayed. (of course the same could be said about Auburn with Newton/Fairley).

Ingram, Jones, Dareus all leaving Alabama for NFL - Campus Rivalry: College Football & Basketball News, Recruiting, Game Picks, and More - USATODAY.com

Interesting... How do you think Auburn will fare losing BOTH of those players? (Look at this past year at UF for a hint)(Let's hope that they still beat Ga, is all I'm saying! :D )

Both were huge playmakers but the biggest issue for AU will be replacing 4 senior starters on the O line (3 of which will most likely be playing on Sundays this fall). It is hard to throw a ball while flat on your back, even for Cam.

Auburn's Nick Fairley will forgo senior season, enter NFL draft

By Tim Gardner, USA TODAY

Just a day after Auburn quarterback Cam Newton announced he would leave school early to enter the NFL draft, fellow Tiger Nick Fairley has announced he will do the same.

Fairley, a 6-5, 298-pound defensive lineman, made the announcement Friday at his high school -- and said he hadn't made his decision until just a few hours earlier.

"I was thinking, 'What more could I accomplish my senior year?'" Fairley said, according to the Birmingham News.

Fairley said he had a long talk with Auburn coach Gene Chizik and defensive line coach Tracy Rocker after the national championship game. He then went home to talk with his family. After that, it was up to him.

"I went on a long ride by myself," Fairley said. "I think I came out with the best decision to benefit me, my family and all the folks around me."

Fairley led with Tigers with 11.5 sacks this season and tallied 24 tackles for loss on the season. His efforts this season earned him the Lombardi Award as the nation's top defensive lineman.

He was also named the defensive Most Valuable Player at the BCS championship game when Auburn edged Oregon 22-19 for the school's second national title.

"It's crazy for me to be in this position," Fairley said. "Coming into this year, I didn't think things were going to be this big. I didn't know I was going to have a big year like that."

Fairley's draft prospects are, well, fairly high. ESPN's Mel Kiper ranks him on top of his big board and fellow ESPN analyst Todd McShay ranks Fairley at No. 2, behind Clemson defensive lineman Da'Quan Bowers.

I think it will slam them and definitely take them out of contention for any BCS bowl.

Auburn's got some "up and coming stars", but look at the improvement and energy of the rest of the team throughout the year.... a lot of that was energy and enthusiasm fueled by having the best player in college football leading the team....

I can't blame him for going to the pro's. but it will leave a HUGE hole that they have to fill.

It's not often you see a player come to a team for one year, have a huge season like this, win the Heisman, win the SEC Championship, win the BCS Championship... and then **poof**, he's gone (in one year).

As for Nick Fairley, he's crazy if he doesn't go. He'll be drafted FIRST ROUND, if not the FIRST PICK.

Alabama also had some heavy losses to players submitting for the Draft. Ingram, Jones, and Dareus all are leaving. Can't say I blame them either. But Bama would have likely been a contender for the BCS title next year if they'd stayed. (of course the same could be said about Auburn with Newton/Fairley).

Ingram, Jones, Dareus all leaving Alabama for NFL - Campus Rivalry: College Football & Basketball News, Recruiting, Game Picks, and More - USATODAY.com

How will they fair???.....Look @ Mr Dodd's forecast------
First preseason Top 25: SEC's other Tigers start at No. 1 - NCAA Football - CBSSports.com

They are a 1 & done program---& if I'd be cheesedik, I'd rub that crystal ball every day as much as possible before the BCS comes a calling for it....

BTW, ought to be a good game Sept 3rd, LSU/Oregon in Jerry's Place.....

How will they fair???.....Look @ Mr Dodd's forecast------
First preseason Top 25: SEC's other Tigers start at No. 1 - NCAA Football - CBSSports.com

They are a 1 & done program---& if I'd be cheesedik, I'd rub that crystal ball every day as much as possible before the BCS comes a calling for it....

BTW, ought to be a good game Sept 3rd, LSU/Oregon in Jerry's Place.....

Not sure LSU can hold on to #1. Unless they get a quarterback worth a darn. Jefferson isn't cutting it. and Coach Corndog still has plenty of games to screw up on clock management. Still, they will do well in the SEC.

Alabama might be ranked a bit high with Ingram, Julio Jones, and Darius going NFL. If they had stayed, I'd say they would have a shot at the BCS title.

Arkansas at preseason #10 is respectable. They've definitely messed up the shuffle in the SEC west in past years.

I'm surprised Auburn was ranked so high as #15. I figured they'd be about #21 with Newton and Fairly going NFL. Dyer will be a big help next year and he was only a freshman this year. So hopefully for Auburn fans he'll be there a few years. I think all Auburn fans expected Cam to go NFL and the same for Fairly. It was pretty much a fairy-tale season that's not likely to be repeated.

South Carolina won't be as much of a force in the East. Georgia and UT will up their games. Florida should improve, but under a new coaching staff and recruits coming in, they are still a wildcard.

I look to see improvement from Georgia this year. They really took off midseason.

Mississippi State is still a bit of a wildcard if they will produce anything, but folks have high hopes in Dan Mullen's abilities.

Florida has a lot of rebuilding to do, but they've got good chances under new coach Muschamp. It will be mid season though before you see them really shine and they'll have a hard time holding on to a top 25 spot.

Still, 8 of the 12 teams in the SEC are included in this VERY EARLY preseason listing. Very impressive for the power of the SEC.

Not listed is Derek Dooley's Volunteers. I think we'll see vast improvement out Tennessee this year. I doubt they'll get on the charts. but still a team to watch.

Gary Crowton left LSU (shove,shove) for Maryland, hopefully that will yield an improved offense and QB play.

Back
Top Bottom