50+ year old divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

> 53 years old
> Live in Dallas (wish I didn't!)
> Certified at Pearl Harbor in 1975
> Lost several logs, but well over 1000 dives
> Favorites dive locations: Worldwide - Hawaii; Local - Flower Gardens
> Favorite shop: ScubaToys

I turned 60 yesterday. I spent the day before snorkeling with a pod of spinners and two humpbacks.

Hey, belated Happy Birthday...and as we are the same age, will be joining you in the big 60 later this year.

Got my 35 year instructor pin from from NAUI last week...seems like a lot more than that.

Puffer fish,

Are you attending the 50th NAUI reunion later this year in Jacksonville?
Should be a lot of the originals attending. I am looking forward to the event and meeting new people as well as renewing old freindships.

Are you a SSI Pro -5000 diver? If not you should be..

<<By the way I attended Castle Heights MA in Lebanon.=A long long time ago>>

Sam Miller,
NAUI Instructor
Number 27

Hey, belated Happy Birthday...and as we are the same age, will be joining you in the big 60 later this year.

Got my 35 year instructor pin from from NAUI last week...seems like a lot more than that.
I get my 40 year pin this year ... it does seem like yesterday, I can remember my ITC very well.

Thalassamania,
Since you are a 40 year NAUI instructor are you attending the 50 year celebration at NAUI HQ in Jacksonville.

It seems like 50 years to me...then some

Samuel Miller,
NAUI Instructor,
Number 27

I'm 57 years old, my 52 year old brother and dive buddy are still diving. I live in Lagrange, Georgia and what I enjoy most is muck diving in the Chattahoochee River. I have been diving since I was 10 years old, mostly skin diving then and was finally certified in 1972. My first scuba dive was with an old fire extinguisher bottles sandblasted out and with a military surplus regulator.For my first dive suit, I went to a dive shop, laid on a big sheet of neoprene and a chalk outline was made of me and it was glued together with no sewing. I got started diving in California when a diving friend of my dad needed someone to guard his inner tube catch basket when he went down spearing more fish. He was tired of being robbed by seals and otters while he spearfished and gathered abalone from the rocks. My dad was in the military and we moved a lot. Then a scuba course took months to complete and we ended up moving before my course. I attended many courses but did not get to complete one until I graduated high school. I built my own hookah system that I use on all day dives and still use tanks on single dives. During the summer weekends it is not unusual for me to spend six to eight hours underwater a day with my hookah system in shallow water. Just bought my first dry suit to extend my diving into the winter. Still need to get some training in it.

In my 50's,

Live in south west Mich.

Certified in Grand Rapids/ NASDS
Have over 1000 dives

The best diving was PNG, I have been on 2 liveaboards. I prefer warm water.

No local dive shop, there's two of them but both owners are jerks and questionable. Best dive shop is in Battle Creek about an hour and a half away SAS dive shop, Owner Rick Sass is worthy.

Puffer fish,

Are you attending the 50th NAUI reunion later this year in Jacksonville?
Should be a lot of the originals attending. I am looking forward to the event and meeting new people as well as renewing old freindships.

Are you a SSI Pro -5000 diver? If not you should be..

<<By the way I attended Castle Heights MA in Lebanon.=A long long time ago>>

Sam Miller,
NAUI Instructor
Number 27

Sam, had not even thought about it.. but I am a newbie by your standards.

Sadly, I am the only one left from my class, but it might be interesting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom