Anti-Fogging Treatments for New Masks. (a comparison of techniques)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm soaking the entire mask and strap, totally submerged. Yes, you guys are doing the same thing.

I did the wrap-up but not the write-up. That is what you are looking for. I feel that tridacna has something valuable to offer so I'm waiting...

I didn't have enough on hand so I am soaking the inside of the lenses in some now on my mako minumus rather than completely submerging. It is a real pain to try to cover both lenses completely as it flows out of the lip area before it completely covers the lens. I have it precariously balanced right now. Only had lemon scent so hope that work fine.

Maybe I misunderstood but my mask is completely immersed in an ammonia bath.

@lowvis This is my understanding too, but short on the "why." Is it to also treat the skirt?
Also clarify the 10-1 J&J shampoo mix. Is this part of the mask preparation/treatment or just our standard pre-dive anti-fog solution? (or both?)

As requested, I did not "like" your post, but thank you and all of the contributors anyway.

Couv

:) I see we are typing all over each other!

....one more question if I may. According to this site: What is Household Ammonia? | Hunker "Household ammonia is an aqueous nitrogen-based solution. It consists of five to 10 percent ammonium hydroxide (NH3) in water ..."

What percentage are we looking for?

Cheers,

Couv

....one more question if I may. According to this site: What is Household Ammonia? | Hunker "Household ammonia is an aqueous nitrogen-based solution. It consists of five to 10 percent ammonium hydroxide (NH3) in water ..."

What percentage are we looking for?

Cheers,

Couv

This is what I’m using. You should buy now before there is a run on it by panicked divers looking to clean their masks all at once.

@couv, 5-10% ammonia in water appears to be the usual 'household' range. I really doubt that it matters, that is a lot of ammonia.

As for soaking the mask and strap, well, they come out squeaky clean. The mask also smells like ammonia for a while so I'm guessing that the very small molecule NH3 is able to migrate into the silicone skirt. I am now 'somewhat convinced' that something is coming out of the skirt, so I clean it too.

The J&J defog is just the easiest way to standardize a defog. As you noted well upstream, every mask needs some sort of defog. I ran out of my minimally effective 1/100 dilution so I just grabbed another volumetric flask which happened to be a 1/10 dilution. I'm guessing that somewhere between full strength and 1/10 should all be just fine as a defog.

@aviator8, I doubt that the soaps or scents will make much of a difference.

@lowviz, I'm glad you posted this about the J&J dilution.

I have been diluting mine to somewhere in the 1:2 to 1:3 range.EDIT: I meant 1:1 or 1:2 range. I have wondered if I should use it more diluted. It seems like most of the dive boats I go on have diluted baby shampoo in a spray bottle for people to use and it always seems way more diluted than what I use. AND it has SEEMED like my own solution tends to either leave smears from being too thick and drying on the lens, or simply not work as well as when I use the boat's spray.

I will start diluting mine a lot more and I suspect it will work a lot better for me. So, thank you again!

@lowviz, I'm glad you posted this about the J&J dilution.

I have been diluting mine to somewhere in the 1:2 to 1:3 range. I have wondered if I should use it more diluted. It seems like most of the dive boats I go on have diluted baby shampoo in a spray bottle for people to use and it always seems way more diluted than what I use. AND it has SEEMED like my own solution tends to either leave smears from being too thick and drying on the lens, or simply not work as well as when I use the boat's spray.

I will start diluting mine a lot more and I suspect it will work a lot better for me. So, thank you again!
Just pull it straight out of the solution and put it on, you won’t notice any fogging at all.

I'm jammed up against the 10,000 character limit on my 'Wrap-Up' post. I've been nipping away at the text to correct my oversights with respect to those who deserve thanks. So you've seen this before, but I need to chop it out and move it here:

The ability to show ‘reversal’ is a strong argument in science to 'prove' that one has actually done something. Sadly :wink:, reversal doesn’t work at all in the social sciences as there is this annoying thing called “do no harm”. In other words, you can’t withhold effective treatment just to see if the patient reverts to the untreated state. Unethical.

The “Cherry on Top” of this investigation would be to get a new mask, clean it, turn it into an MFH with Trimethylsilyl chloride - Wikipedia, and then turn it back into a “friendly” with ammonia. I will leave this final exercise to anyone who sees fit to attempt that investigation…

@АлександрД: Melting aspirin onto the lens was really effective, but the big problem was that the heat ruined the strap assembly. However, that just plain worked! But it was too hot. You may want to try glycolic acid. It melts at 167F/75C, but know that it is bad stuff to have around your eyes.

@Johnoly. Your enthusiasm and curiosity speak to my roots. No, this investigation isn’t done until I test your masks. Almost there, dude…

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom