Anti-Fogging Treatments for New Masks. (a comparison of techniques)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Johnoly:

OK, we got the boring stuff out of the way. The last chemical finally managed to find its way home:

LMAO !!, You have done so much research I won't make you look this up too, but..................Those are the same ingredients the army uses in it's MRE heat pack to cook meals in the field. I'm guessing your formula has just a bit more "heat" to it. Thank you for all your work and the ultimate solution !!

I have a Frameless that has resisted all and every attempt to clean.

it is now sitting in an ammonia bath. Will report back in 14 days.

Coming out tomorrow. Gotta “see” if any change.

Coming out tomorrow. Gotta “see” if any change.

Well? What's the verdict?

I just got a new Deep6 mask. I ran it through the dishwasher and then into ammonia for 2 days. Was that long enough?

The only ammonia I could find was "Lemon-scented". Anybody have any notion on whether the lemon scent will affect the effectiveness of the ammonia for this purpose?

Sorry, been preoccupied with other stuff. I removed the mask from its bath. Total immersion time was 12 days. I occasionally stirred the bowl with a wooden spoon. Rinsed it off with freshwater and after coating the inside with a very mild solution of baby shampoo cold not get it to fog. Tried many times . Be aware that this is an old AA mask that I could NEVER get to defog previously. Question is how long this will last and what happens on a real dive with cold water and warm noses. That's for post-Covid research when diving starts again.

Thanks.

My new Deep6 mask is my only mask that had no other treatments done to it first, so that will be my real test. Hopefully, only 2 days of ammonia is enough.

My most fog-prone mask has been my Mako Minimus - the same mask lowviz was testing with. I've done everything to it, in the past, including running it through the dishwasher. It is now in the ammonia bath for 2 days.

When that comes out, I have an AA mask that I had scrubbed well with Dawn dish soap and tried in the pool and it was less fog-prone than the Mako. But, I just ran it through the dishwasher and it will go in the ammonia bath next.

I might even dive them this weekend. Our VA lockdown does allow for going out for "outdoor activities". Lake Phoenix is open. If I drive down and back by myself, I don't think I'm doing anything risky or against the current governor's orders. So...

Yes. Will do tomorrow.

@couv I want to make sure I understand the expected procedure.

Soak in ice cold water for long enough for the glass to achieve temperature equilibrium with the ice water.

Take it out. Here is where my question comes in.

The procedure laid out by lowviz would be to then hit it with "a splash of 1/10 diluted J&J Baby Shampoo. Placed into vertical position and let drain and dry."

If followed, the mask would probably return to room temperature before testing its fog resistance.

So, exactly what do you want done?

Total immersion time was 12 days. I occasionally stirred the bowl with a wooden spoon. Rinsed it off with freshwater and after coating the inside with a very mild solution of baby shampoo cold not get it to fog. Tried many times .
Endless thanks for that data point! An explanation that fits all observations is starting to appear from all this...

I have just reviewed this entire thread and am now dealing with carefully resolving all of these post #'s: 2,6,9,15,16,18,30,36,37,45,63,73,77,84,117,120,130,133,151,170,191,271,277,311,323,327,331,336,344,360,378, and 395.

What seems to hold true throughout everyone's experiences are:

Something changed when manufacturers went to frameless masks.
Not all brand new masks act the same.
There is a confounding overlap between simply cleaning the glass vs. modifying its surface characteristics.
Some sort of defog is absolutely mandatory for any mask.

Back
Top Bottom