Are you a Dive Hypocrite?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Below is the link to the FQAS site hope you can speak French as apparently there are only French divers in Quebec :)
FQAS Bienvenue

Just out of curiosity I read a couple of pages, they say on their website that the have a visual inspection program , are PSI and TDI visual stickers recognized in PQ at all or they should be FQAS?

Not sure as I have always had my VIP's and fills done by a friend who has a commercial dive business in Quebec, on the odd occasion I have got my fills in Ontario no problems, again you would think they would have the rules and regulations on their site.

DCBC:

I am a hypocrite.

While I really enjoy solo diving, and have done so since the 1970's, when asked about solo diving by a new diver, I usually advise against it.

I do not want to be responsible for someone's injury or death if I have no idea if they are capable of safely executing a solo dive.

It is certainly a case of "Do As I Say, Not As I Do".

In fact, I am the ultimate hypocrite, because I began soloing maybe 10 dives after being certified in 1976.... And then moved on to deep air / staged deco with friends/mentors (200' range) after maybe 50-75 dives... :D

Best wishes.

Last edited:
Incomplete (perhaps necessary, but not sufficient) :)

Sure. The main point I was trying to make is that if people eat more than they need, they will become obese. The percentage of people who cannot lose weight no matter what they try is very very very small. Nearly all obese people would not be obese if they didn't eat so much and exercised more, genetic predisposition or not.

And for my source: "Treatment of the obese patient" by Kushner + Bessesen

When I hear people criticizing obesity in the US, and making the individual fully accountable for it, it makes me laugh a bit. The industry/way of living, and education give (junk) food an incredible place/power. So there are consequences, and the solution should be found by the society, including some laws, or better: education. And getting it right is likely going to be an interesting challenge.
Back to diving. I indeed think Walter and Dr bill said all. Why dr Bill?, because I fully agree with the hypocrite statement on: why would I care if other kill themselves doing stupid things … as long as it is not my children/family/people I care.
Regarding special laws to limits activities, finding the right balance will likely be very difficult. In regards to stuff done in Europe, I can provide one good thing (to me): many years ago, sailing/motor boating was kind of full freedom for all. Then the number of fatalities increased, while people were caring less and less (lack of training and experience). For many years, the rescuers were doing it all for free, sometimes in very difficult conditions, rescuing people and boats.
If I’m still right, now it is over, and rescuers can charge if they rescue the equipments (surf board, small beach boats, or larger boats). Laws have changed because there were abuses. During the high seasons, when there are speed limits near the beaches on the Mediterranean sea, people get speeding tickets. Some people find it outrageous. I certainly do not.

I don’t know how this can apply to diving, it is probably more difficult because the nature of the sport – but to some extent, adding a little bit of restriction here and there (like more training required to do x/y/z) may not be that bad, in some areas at least. Not easy I agree, and from a personal point of view, I’d favor education much more than law enforcement.

When I hear people criticizing obesity in the US, and making the individual fully accountable for it, it makes me laugh a bit. The industry/way of living, and education give (junk) food an incredible place/power. So there are consequences, and the solution should be found by the society, including some laws, or better: education. And getting it right is likely going to be an interesting challenge.

Why should the individual not be fully accountable for their weight? There is a genetic propensity behind the smokers that get lung cancer also as well as genetic propensity to take up smoking in the first place, does this mean that they should not be responsible for the fact they smoke? There are genetic propensities behind a lot of negative things in society but that does not mean one cannot take steps to combat this. I agree that society can make it easier for people to lose weight but I know when I put on weight, it is my fault, not "society's" fault.

Now I don't care how much people eat or how much they smoke or anything like that but I do have a problem with people not taking responsibility for the consequences of their decisions.

Why should the individual not be fully accountable for their weight? There is a genetic propensity behind the smokers that get lung cancer also as well as genetic propensity to take up smoking in the first place, does this mean that they should not be responsible for the fact they smoke? There are genetic propensities behind a lot of negative things in society but that does not mean one cannot take steps to combat this. I agree that society can make it easier for people to lose weight but I know when I put on weight, it is my fault, not "society's" fault.

Now I don't care how much people eat or how much they smoke or anything like that but I do have a problem with people not taking responsibility for the consequences of their decisions.

Easy for you to make these statements when you are not suffering from the genetic predisposition that causes weight gain, two people identical size and age with identical calorie intake yet one gains weight to the point of being obese while the other is just a little overweight but would you make the same conclusion for both of them if you saw them walking down the street, in addition there can be many reasons that causes obesity one that comes to mind is the side effects of medication so give overweight people a break and quit making these generalizations :shakehead:

Easy for you to make these statements when you are not suffering from the genetic predisposition that causes weight gain, two people identical size and age with identical calorie intake yet one gains weight to the point of being obese while the other is just a little overweight but would you make the same conclusion for both of them if you saw them walking down the street, in addition there can be many reasons that causes obesity one that comes to mind is the side effects of medication so give overweight people a break and quit making these generalizations :shakehead:

Actually it is difficult for me to keep weight off, as it is for other people in my family. I record everything I eat to make sure I am maintaining a proper diet. If I eat too much I put on weight, if I eat less I don't put on weight. That's how weight gain/loss works! If one puts on weight more easily than someone else with the same calorie intake then they need to eat less and/or exercise more! It takes work but so does a lot of things in life.

Actually it is difficult for me to keep weight off, as it is for other people in my family. I record everything I eat to make sure I am maintaining a proper diet. If I eat too much I put on weight, if I eat less I don't put on weight. That's how weight gain/loss works! If one puts on weight more easily than someone else with the same calorie intake then they need to eat less and/or exercise more! It takes work but so does a lot of things in life.

Sure that theory works if you are able to exercise and control your eating and congratulations for being able to control your weight. But many people are unable to achieve the kind of control you are taking about. I have seen transplant patients that take steroids to suppress their immune system gain weight so fast it hard to believe and they have no recourse to avoid this. In fact because of societies attitude to overweight people its a major cause of females 25 and under rejecting their transplant as they try to reduce their medication to control their weight, to adhere to societies idea of perfect weight, this is just one example of why some people are unable to control their weight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom