Are you a Dive Hypocrite?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sure that theory works if you are able to exercise and control your eating and congratulations for being able to control your weight. But many people are unable to achieve the kind of control you are taking about. I have seen transplant patients that take steroids to suppress their immune system gain weight so fast it hard to believe they have no recourse to avoid this, in fact because of societies attitude to overweight people its a major cause of females 25 and under rejecting their transplant as they try to reduce their medication to control their weight and adhere to societies idea of perfect weight, this is just one example of why some people are unable to control their weight.

People who gain weight uncontrollably because of medication are a small portion of the obese population.

People who gain weight uncontrollably because of medication are a small portion of the obese population.

Actually I do not agree but certainly not the main portion, how about people with eating disorders maybe we should chastise them for being overweight, sorry but I do not believe for one minute that obese people are that way because they want to be 9 out of 10 times there is a underlying cause other than eating to much food.

Actually I do not agree but certainly not the main portion, how about people with eating disorders maybe we should chastise them for being overweight, sorry but I do not believe for one minute that obese people are that way because they want to be 9 out of 10 times there is a underlying cause other than eating to much food.

Actually I think eating disorders are still under one's control. I had anorexia nervosa from the age of 12 to 19 and it was entirely my own doing. I was hospitalised at one point when I reached about 100lb (I am 5'10"), and I take full responsibility for that.

Wish I could find the 'fat tax' article I read yesterday. In a nutshell, it brought up a politically inconvenient fact that applies to both smokers & fat people:

1.) While at a given age smokers and the obese rack up higher health costs than normal weight non-smokers, smokers & the obese don't live as long.

2.) The years of lost life come mainly during the non-productive years, when these people are drawing retirement benefits such as Social Security, Medicare and Pensions.

3.) Ergo, over the long haul, the healthy people who draw benefits much longer, and still eventually die of something before which they, too, get expensive end-of-life care, can potentially cost society more than the smokers or fat people.

4.) Think about it; the fat guy dies of a heart attack at 65. He had diabetes and 2 prior heart attacks, so there were costs. His thin friend skates along with no major medical costs during that time, but lives to 85, ultimately dies of a heart attack preceded by congestive heart failure for 5 years, and so ultimately still has substantial health & end-of-life costs, AND draws a pension, Social Security and Medicare 20 more years.

Maybe it's time we institute a 'Thin Tax' and start sticking it to you toothpicks who are costing us fatties so much money. I'm tired of supporting the normal weight moochers.

Richard.

Wish I could find the 'fat tax' article I read yesterday. In a nutshell, it brought up a politically inconvenient fact that applies to both smokers & fat people:

1.) While at a given age smokers and the obese rack up higher health costs than normal weight non-smokers, smokers & the obese don't live as long.

2.) The years of lost life come mainly during the non-productive years, when these people are drawing retirement benefits such as Social Security, Medicare and Pensions.

3.) Ergo, over the long haul, the healthy people who draw benefits much longer, and still eventually die of something before which they, too, get expensive end-of-life care, can potentially cost society more than the smokers or fat people.

4.) Think about it; the fat guy dies of a heart attack at 65. He had diabetes and 2 prior heart attacks, so there were costs. His thin friend skates along with no major medical costs during that time, but lives to 85, ultimately dies of a heart attack preceded by congestive heart failure for 5 years, and so ultimately still has substantial health & end-of-life costs, AND draws a pension, Social Security and Medicare 20 more years.

Maybe it's time we institute a 'Thin Tax' and start sticking it to you toothpicks who are costing us fatties so much money. I'm tired of supporting the normal weight moochers.

Richard.

LOL yes thats a good point always two sides to an argument :D

This is only one part of a complex situation, but one interpretation is that it may be easier to gain weight by eating too much than it is to loose it afterwords by eating less.

That study needs the Captain Obvious award. Of course it is easier to eat more than it is to eat less...

That study needs the Captain Obvious award. Of course it is easier to eat more than it is to eat less...

Go back and read it more carefully. That's not the conclusion. It's saying even if you eat less, you probably won't loose much weight if that's all you do.

That ain't what the study said.

Diets don't work. For people with chronic weight problems, it's much more difficult to lose weight than to gain it. And even when you lose it, it's even harder to keep it off.

Diet isn't the solution ... lifestyle changes are. Diet and exercise are the staples of that change, but it can involve much more. A lot of people eat to mask emotional issues. You won't keep the weight off without addressing those issues. That can involve medication, therapy, or just a sheer dogged determination that you WANT to change.

I agree with what you're saying that people need to take control of their lives. I don't agree with your premise that it's as simple as you make it out to be.

Ya can't solve the problem by just walking away from the cheeseburgers ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom