Around the neck?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1) Rig that pony bottle DIR style and clip it on. Not sure when slinging a pony became a 'DIR style', but the concept of slinging a redundant air source, rather than back-mounting it, is certainly a valid option. I think it adds more flexibility and options.

2) Leave the reg/hose on the AL40 stowed, not around your neck or on a necklace. Yep, more flexibility in approach and less chance of confusion. I know of a fatal incident in the UK several years ago, caused by an intial confusion between pony/backgas regulators.

3) Turn on the tank to pressurize it then turn it back off when you dive. I think this is debateable. You aren't dealing with the preservation of critical deco gas. If the pony was ever going to be needed as an emergency/redundant air source, then it would be needed quickly. I don't believe in adding unnecessary steps to time-critical OOA contingency drills. In this respect, Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS) - have the pony charged and ready to rock in an instant.

4) Practice the gas switch steps so that should you find yourself in need of that gas you already have the process of deploying it worked out and second nature. You don't want that emergency situation to be the first time. Again, at a recreational level, there is no need for complex gas switch procedures. These drills exist to protect technical divers from accessing an inappropriate deco gas mix at depth, which is a potentially (likely) fatal error. A recreational diver should be using the same mix in both their backgas and pony. KISS. That said, any diver should be familiar with the operation and function of any kit they carry. That is especially true of emergency management equipment. When preparing contingency measures for emergency situations, you should assume that you will be operating at a considerable reduced mental and psychological performance. Never assume that any emergency drill is so simple and straightforward that it doesn't need to be practiced and ingrained.

As with most, sling it. It is easy to handle, to get to, and to use, if needed. Play with your configuration in the pool and find exactly where it is most comfortable for you and get some practice.

Thank you all for your responses. In this case, I'm going to go with the group think on this one and sling it. You've convinced me! I am however not going to invent or attempt to make my own sling. I'll simply purchase one and save myself the aggravation and potential setup errors...

While we're on the subject, what about weight distribution? I'll certainly take this setup to a buddies pool for my first dive attempt but I'm interested in what I can expect to need regarding trim and buoyancy changes? I'm going to sling it on my right side. Thanks...

Weight/buoyancy will be determined primarily by your capacity and material of your chosen cylinder. Plus a little extra for the clips and reg.

Have a look at this link, to get an idea of the relative cylinder buoyancies:

http://scubatechphilippines.com/scu...rial-for-scuba-diving-buoyancy-and-weighting/

If you go for an Ali cylinder/s, you'll need to weight yourself accounting for the worst-case scenario of empty backgas and nearly empty pony.

I, personally, wouldn't juggle my weighting to account for the slung pony. I just trap air on the correct side of my BCD to counter-act any postive/negative buoyancy impact from the tank. That procedure is, admittedly, easier with a BP&W than in a jacket.

Last edited:
I would suggest:.
1) Rig that pony bottle DIR style and clip it on. Click here for instructions.
2) Leave the reg/hose on the AL40 stowed, not around your neck or on a necklace.
3) Turn on the tank to pressurize it then turn it back off when you dive.
4) Practice the gas switch steps so that should you find yourself in need of that gas you already have the process of deploying it worked out and second nature. You don't want that emergency situation to be the first time.

do this ^^

fyi, alloy 40cf is 3lb off on what ever side u sling

When I asked this question, I knew the answer that I wanted to hear. I truly wanted to back mount my pony having no experience diving with something cumbersome slung from by BC. Truthfully, I think I was hoping to have my own thoughts on the subject supported by you guys so that I could pat myself on the back and do what I wanted...

I was somewhat disappointed to see so many of you dislike my backmount idea. It crossed my mind to disregard the advice given and backmount the 40 anyway (particularly since I already owned the gear to make that possible). I had a 5 day dive trip planned and knew that I'd have some issues getting the necessary set-up/gear familiarization done should I decide to sling. Thankfully, I read this thread a few times and came to a simple conclusion...

The idea of soliciting advice from more experienced divers and then not heeding it seemed foolish. In my industry, I'm often asked for my opinion from less experienced folks endeavoring to join the profession and I'm always amazed at how often they disregard what I've told them. With my mind made up, I mail ordered a "Stage bottle rigging kit" from a relatively local shop and they delivered the kit in just a couple of days.

I did a very shallow reef dive to find my way with the new bottle and I was very surprised to find that the bottle did truly disappear under my arm as some of you had promised. In the next few days we completed 4 dives on the Vandenberg and on each dive I took the pony. It was nice to have a redundant air supply so readily available and as promised, I had no difficulty maneuvering or controlling my buoyancy with the bottle snugly slung on my right. I'd like to thank those of you who took the time to answer my question here for teaching me a thing or two and adding an additional layer of redundancy to my bag of tricks....Thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom