backplates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

detroit diver

Sorry it took so long to get back with you. I have one more dumb question. Is the keel weight used to keep the wing from pushing you face down on the surface? If so, can't you get around this problem by not over inflating the wing at the surface?

At the end of the dive, an AL80 is about 4 pounds positive buoyancy, so even if you didn't inflate your wings you would be pushed forward. Adding inflation with wings would add to the forward angle.

Looking at worst case scenario, if you had a problem and needed to get to the surface, I don't think you want to be figuring out just how much air to add to your wings so that you won't be face-first in the water. And what if you lose consciousness? With the keel weight, you can fill up and be relatively vertical on the surface.

Thanks detroit diver for the help. It looks like a keel weight is very much needed. I just talked to Fred T. and ordered a stainless plate. I figured I will do more local cold water diving and if I do go on a vacation next year(out of the question this year)I can get Freds 1/8 aluminum plate for $51. This way I will have the best of both worlds. Also, Fred is sending me his new production run that is cut to fit Halcyon's new pioneer wing with the built in STA.
Now back to keel weights. There seems to be a lot of different styles. Is there a better place to mount the weight over others? Like lower or higher on the tank? Is 6lbs pretty much standard?

I don't know what's standard. I use 4 of the 6 to counteract the empty AL80, and the other 2 to help with the wing push. If I put any more weight in it, there would be nothing to ditch when I'm wearing a shorty in warm water.

As for the drysuit, I'll let others who have more experience answer.

I've got a question for you-does FredT's aluminum plate work with the "old style" pioneer wing/STA? The price looks enticing.

Fred's plates will work with both the old and new style Halcyon wings as well as others. The only difference between the two (according to Fred)is the extra slots cut for the straps of the new pioneer wing. Give him an email at ftagge@acadiacom.net. He can provide you with a lot of hardware and infomation on what he has. He emailed me a Word Doc. that had descriptions and prices.

bw-

Thanks for the link. Fred sent me the same word document-now I've got to choose between the different choices!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom