Bangka - recently?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last year I went also to Blue Bay Divers in Bangka - whose standards are far beyond the others - mostly because the owner, a German woman, who lives there, built a good organization. They also have a cruise wooden boat to do few days liveaboard. Check online.
Just worth to mention: there are mandarine fishes few dozen of meters in front of the last bungalow - wear the equipment and walk just before the sunset - depth < 12m ...
For food quality: I'm italian and I can guarantee you will not regret it.

whose standards are far beyond the others
What makes you say that? Blue bay doesn't have a proper bathroom system with hot water, no aircon, etc.
FYI the guides at Murex Bangka have a 20years record on diving Bangka.

mostly because the owner, a German woman,who lives there, built a good organization.
What a patronizing assumption....Do you even know who Dr.Batuna, the founder of Murex was?

Ok, I understand your point, and probably I'm speaking based on my expectations and overall sensations collected while enjoying my stay there. For sake of clarity, I have no relation with anyone conducting business there and I have no interest in promoting resorts and whatsoever similar activity.
So, probably the best way to rank different accomodation is in listing all the requirements with their respective weight. For example, I don't like air cond and personally think that in most cases it is environmentally too much costly. You could have different ideas on that - the same applies to other aspects. In no case I was ranking the guides experience, and, local ones often changes from one resort to another.

In no case I was ranking the guides experience, and, local ones often changes from one resort to another.
The thing that was so special wth DrBatuna's operation is that there was no turnover, most of their guides are there since they started, Manado or Bangka based.
A happy indonesian operation once led by an indonesian role model.

Even though Blue Bay has probably the most "rustic" bungalows on Bangka, it still just has something special about it! By rustic I mean they do no hot water on tap (they bring a bucket of hot water in the evenings), no flushing loo (you have to throw water into the loo with a pale), no electricity from midnight, only fans...... but that beach of theirs is just stunning and the food is great, and the staff were genuinely happy.... honestly we were there with a 6 month old baby who did not sleep from midnight because the power went off and therefore no fan... despite the sleeplessness I still would love to go back! It's hard to pin point why... it just has something special about it.

Although next time I go I will insist they keep a gen set running at night to keep the fan at night. Something they did agree to do if we requested.

That being said I must say that they are not exactly cheap considering what you get (see above comments). Given their price point I would suggest they throw in 24hr electricity....and following on from a few previous posts, it is surprising they are not running solar power units.

Luko your point about the dive guide experience is not really valid anymore as the BB guys have been there a decade... so they are pretty darn experienced too. In fact the owner Salmon is Bunakan born and bred, so they too have a local Indonesian role model!

You really should give BB a chance Luko! :wink:

Last edited:
Luko your point about the dive guide experience is not really valid anymore as the BB guys have been there a decade... so they are pretty darn experienced too.
I would say you are reversing the logics then : I am responding to someone who states that BB is "far beyond" other operations, hence I would rather say that HIS point about dive experience doesn't stand against Murex.
Other than that I have seen BB boats crowded with divers each time I went to Bangka, while I was diving with my friend Aswar whom I usually plan the dives with the night before, suffices for me to see which operation fits better.

In fact the owner Salmon is Bunakan born and bred, so they too have a local Indonesian role model!
AlMitch, pls do me a favor and Google "Hanny Batuna" so you'll see what kind of role model I am talking about. :wink:, someone bigger than a guy who set up a resort, someone who was at the origin of diving North Sulawesi.

I really wouldn't see why I'd go with BB while Murex has a great beach that my wife enjoys, plus lovely breezy wooden bungalows in the shade with hot water whenever I want morning or evening, cool air at night and enough electricity to charge my batteries, where I (used to) know everybody and me of my wife could ask whatever, where is working one of the friendliest guide I know who I drink beer with, discuss about anything and, who would do anything to make me happy underwater.
And I guess they don't have any operation in Manado or Lembeh, in order to couple/triple a stay around, do they?
A few months ago, I had an argument on this board with the new manager at Murex Bangka because I coudln't see what was the improvment about that and wouldn't like that everything I was happy with would be swept off with some new management practices.
I've already experienced that on another resort, sometimes so called rationalization can be a pleasure killer.

You should give Murex a try as well, I bet you haven't been on their beach yet.:D .

I would say you are reversing the logics then : I am responding to someone who states that BB is "far beyond" other operations, hence I would rather say that HIS point about dive experience doesn't stand against Murex.
Other than that I have seen BB boats crowded with divers each time I went to Bangka, while I was diving with my friend Aswar whom I usually plan the dives with the night before, suffices for me to see which operation fits better.

AlMitch, pls do me a favor and Google "Hanny Batuna" so you'll see what kind of role model I am talking about. :wink:, someone bigger than a guy who set up a resort, someone who was at the origin of diving North Sulawesi.

I really wouldn't see why I'd go with BB while Murex has a great beach that my wife enjoys, plus lovely breezy wooden bungalows in the shade with hot water whenever I want morning or evening, cool air at night and enough electricity to charge my batteries, where I (used to) know everybody and me of my wife could ask whatever, where is working one of the friendliest guide I know who I drink beer with, discuss about anything and, who would do anything to make me happy underwater.
And I guess they don't have any operation in Manado or Lembeh, in order to couple/triple a stay around, do they?
A few months ago, I had an argument on this board with the new manager at Murex Bangka because I coudln't see what was the improvment about that and wouldn't like that everything I was happy with would be swept off with some new management practices.
I've already experienced that on another resort, sometimes so called rationalization can be a pleasure killer.

You should give Murex a try as well, I bet you haven't been on their beach yet.:D .

Luko, when was the last time you were at Bangka? How was the food? did they have 24-hour electricity yet?

- Bill

Luko, when was the last time you were at Bangka? How was the food? did they have 24-hour electricity yet?

- Bill
April 2015.
They didn't have 24 power inside the bungalows, simply 5 to 8 and some time at noon as well.
The food was really good because the indonesian manager (before the Belgian guy) was clearly trying to push the cook for doing something special every day.

April 2015.
They didn't have 24 power inside the bungalows, simply 5 to 8 and some time at noon as well.
The food was really good because the indonesian manager (before the Belgian guy) was clearly trying to push the cook for doing something special every day.

We were there in Aug 2016 and the food sucked. We weren't the only ones to say so, either.

- Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom