Bangka - recently?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just getting back to Murex - I have to comment. Having seen FB all week of some friends who are very experienced, well travelled and discerning divers looking at the pics of the new boats and dive slates - kudos to the team a team Murex for listening to and doing something about criticisms aired here tripadvisor everywhere. The high praise given on those amazing looking new boats to dive quality shows a commitment to customer service.

And now, can you put it all back the way it was a decade ago cos I kinda liked it then...even fishing for my supper on surface intervals.

But please keep the new boats - awesome

Last edited:
Until now most people arrive in Manado from Singapore, with Silk Air (Singapore Airlines). But this seems to be changing and many of our guests found cheaper alternatives. From Manado there is a daily flight with Wings: Manado - Ternate - Morotai.
To get to Ternate is really easy nowadays. From Jakarta there are two, daily non-stop flights. The Garuda flight is the best (in my opinion) and offer 10 kg extra on top of the 20 kg. From Manado 5 flights to Ternate daily and one to Kao, which is at Halmahera: TRAVEL INFORMATION TO WEDA RESORT - Weda Reef & Rainforest Resort We do not have AC. But all rooms have blankets (no joke). At night a pretty cool wind comes down from the mountains. Further, all rooms are very open and have a big ceiling fan above the beds. The climate is very different from Raja Ampat.
For more information about Halmahera please send an email to info@wedaresort.com and have a look at Weda Reef & Rainforest Resort and Weda Reef & Rainforest Resort - Best Diving and Birding in Halmahera
Next year our Magic Bay Villas at Rao, near Morotai will finally be opened for diving too. See other post.
And to Dan T.: we will make one special Dan T. AC bungalow at Divers Lodge Lembeh :wink:.

Which one is less grueling (let's say for someone who has a bad back) & more interesting 4-hour transportation from Ternate airport or from KAO?

"Transfer from Ternate Airport to Weda Resort takes in total about 4 hours, first a small drive over Ternate Island, then a speedboat journey of 45 minutes followed by a drive through primary forest, past traditional villages, and with breathtaking views of volcanoes, lakes and rivers."

"You can also fly to KAO on Halmahera. The code for this airport is KAZ but often it is named Tobelo. Although the town of Tobelo lies 1,5 hours car ride North of Kao. There is a flight every morning from/to Manado by Wings Air. We will pick you up at Kao airport a bring you by car to Weda Resort. This very nice trip takes minimum 4 hours. But you can stop whenever and as often you want; to watch the scenery, to spot Parrots and Hornbills or to have a picknick at the beach. Except from the last 10 kilometers near the resort, the roads are in very good condition."

The quality of the Garuda flight to Ternate is higher than the Wings flight to Kao (KAZ) and allows more luggage (total 30 kg plus cabin luggage). With Wings you have to pay extra USD 1.50 for every kg more than 10 kg.
Advantage of flying to Kao is that you do not need to cross the sea by speedboat, which can really be bad on your back. The road from Kao to Weda Resort is in better condition than the main roads on North Sulawesi. Also the last 10 kilometers are new and with asphalt now. We take care of the transfers with our own cars and drivers. We bring folding chairs for the breaks along the trip (can stop as often as you want).
Sorry that this bangka thread became a Weda Resort manual. We just updates the Weda Resort website Prices and How to Book - Weda Reef & Rainforest Resort - Halmahera .

Reactions: Dan
The quality of the Garuda flight to Ternate is higher than the Wings flight to Kao (KAZ) and allows more luggage (total 30 kg plus cabin luggage). With Wings you have to pay extra USD 1.50 for every kg more than 10 kg.
Advantage of flying to Kao is that you do not need to cross the sea by speedboat, which can really be bad on your back. The road from Kao to Weda Resort is in better condition than the main roads on North Sulawesi. Also the last 10 kilometers are new and with asphalt now. We take care of the transfers with our own cars and drivers. We bring folding chairs for the breaks along the trip (can stop as often as you want).
Sorry that this bangka thread became a Weda Resort manual. We just updates the Weda Resort website Prices and How to Book - Weda Reef & Rainforest Resort - Halmahera .

So the recommended path is to go to Kao via Wings and then by road to your resort?

- Bill

That depends where are coming from. From Jakarta the daily, non-stop night-flight by Garuda to Ternate is very convenient and arrives at 07.30 at Ternate. In the morning the sea usually is not rough yet and to cross by speedboat is no problem at all for your back. From Manado it depends on what you prefer. One hour more in the car or the speedboat for 35 minutes. Until now most of our guests prefer to come via Ternate.

Reactions: Dan
That depends where are coming from. From Jakarta the daily, non-stop night-flight by Garuda to Ternate is very convenient and arrives at 07.30 at Ternate. In the morning the sea usually is not rough yet and to cross by speedboat is no problem at all for your back. From Manado it depends on what you prefer. One hour more in the car or the speedboat for 35 minutes. Until now most of our guests prefer to come via Ternate.

I prefer to fly from Jakarta, because:
1. Garuda is a better & more reliable airlines
2. We'll need the extra weight allowance.
3. Early arrival means smooth boat ride.
4. An hour shorter ground transportation.
5. We'll arrive in Resort by noon for lunch.
6. We'll have plenty of time to settle down.
7. We can do a check out dive before dinner.

Dan_T, please be our guest ;-). Best is we communicate through email: info@wedaresort.com .

Dan_T, please be our guest ;-). Best is we communicate through email: info@wedaresort.com .

Will do :) Still have plenty of time to plan (May 2019).

Right now I'm busy keeping my house from going underwater from hurricane Harvey. I can't even get to the airport. Houston is drowning. I need a boat.

IMG_6109.JPG

A reality check. I live in Signapore and work in Indonesia. Garuda, similar to other Indonesian domestic airlines commonly cancels flights without much notice. They change departure gates without any notification... last week, my wife's Garuda,flight departed Denpasar 3 hours late, while Wings and similar airlines were spot in schedule.

Back
Top Bottom