Bangka - recently?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is Indonesia, Bill. It ain't Mexico. FYI, they call you Bule, not Gringo, or Bule-bule not Gringos (for plural form of the word) :)
The semantic difference is that some people will be called bule in Indonesia (as for instance you would be a pelangi in Samoa, a Farang in Thailand or a Zoreille to me in any french oversea territory), but they will be gringos all over the world.

I mean some gringos are gringos in each and every country even theirs, it pertains to their quintessential mindset (fussy/needy/picky etc.) :p

Last edited:
Bill, sorry to hijack your thread. However since you will be moving to Bali & considering other diving places in Indonesia, I thought you might like to hear my inquiry to Indah about Weda Resort.

Indah, I've been to Bangka & Lembeh, but never been to Maluku and considering to go to Weda Resort for a week & Morotai (for close-n-counter of Black-tip Shark & Devil Ray Thurstoni) for another week. I think from Houston I can go to either Jakarta or Manado with Singapore Airlines. Which domestic hub (transit) city would you recommend, Jakarta or Manado? Geographically Manado seems closer, but would domestic flight availability be a problem (in terms of schedule, bag weight limit, etc.)? Which domestic airlines would you recommend, Garuda or Lion Air (Wings air) or others? How do I go to Weda Resort once I arrive in Ternate?

Thanks
Dan

Ha ha SingAir - DO IT!

I don't see how you can get to Manado without going thru Jakarta or Bali.

And if you do go to Weda Resort, I'd be interested in your reaction.

- Bill

Ha ha SingAir - DO IT!

I don't see how you can get to Manado without going thru Jakarta or Bali.

And if you do go to Weda Resort, I'd be interested in your reaction.

- Bill

Sing Air affiliate, Silk Air, will fly me to Manado from Singapore. I've done it a couple of times, skipping Jakarta or Denpasar.

My guess is there won't be any AC in Weda. That would be sucked if there is no ventilation & breeze at night like when I was in Raja4Diver.

The semantic difference is that some people will be called bule in Indonesia (as for instance you would be a pelangi in Samoa, a Farang in Thailand or a Zoreille to me in any french oversea territory), but they will be gringos all over the world.

I mean some gringos are gringos in each and every country even theirs, it pertains to their quintessential mindset (fussy/needy/picky etc.) :p

I guess I qualify on all those, plus white honkey, (in SF) evil landlord, and, the most dreaded appellation of all: Senior Citizen. OUCH!

These days I feel like identifying myself as all those plus Muslim, Christian, Jew, black, Mexican, immigrant, and refugee.

- Bill

Until now most people arrive in Manado from Singapore, with Silk Air (Singapore Airlines). But this seems to be changing and many of our guests found cheaper alternatives. From Manado there is a daily flight with Wings: Manado - Ternate - Morotai.
To get to Ternate is really easy nowadays. From Jakarta there are two, daily non-stop flights. The Garuda flight is the best (in my opinion) and offer 10 kg extra on top of the 20 kg. From Manado 5 flights to Ternate daily and one to Kao, which is at Halmahera: TRAVEL INFORMATION TO WEDA RESORT - Weda Reef & Rainforest Resort We do not have AC. But all rooms have blankets (no joke). At night a pretty cool wind comes down from the mountains. Further, all rooms are very open and have a big ceiling fan above the beds. The climate is very different from Raja Ampat.
For more information about Halmahera please send an email to info@wedaresort.com and have a look at Weda Reef & Rainforest Resort and Weda Reef & Rainforest Resort - Best Diving and Birding in Halmahera
Next year our Magic Bay Villas at Rao, near Morotai will finally be opened for diving too. See other post.
And to Dan T.: we will make one special Dan T. AC bungalow at Divers Lodge Lembeh :wink:.

Wow! that's cool Indah. Terima Kasih banyak! :D

I'm working on my next trip there in May 2019. My 2018 trips are already booked. I'll be bringing some of my dive buddies from Texas with me.

Just sent you a long-winded PM about this :)

Please send me a copy too, Dan. Thanks richly!

I did a Bangka day trip from Lembeh last month and we dropped into Murex for lunch. Food was pretty average, but can't comment on

I'm hoping that there's been no change in the food with the new manager since the last resort manager left in March. He'd worked all year to improve the food from g-awful to good. I'm hoping that your "average" is my "good". :)
I'll be back in March to find out for myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom