best car rental agency

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's what I thought. We like to stay at Caribbean Club. Apparently, they get the POS trucks and Buddy Dive keeps the newer ones. Anyway, my biggest complaint was no tailgate to sit on while gearing up (and sharp rusty edges) and the cargo net would allow small loose objects to fall through if you weren't careful. Also, the tank rack wasn't anchored down and didn't hold the tanks securely anyway. (Yes, some do.)I'd recommend AB.
This. It's not fun when you can't sit on the tailgate because its rusted and when the tanks roll around because the tanks holder because it isn't bolted down. We've used AB 4x and are very pleased.

I don't know if the AMEX terms vary with the type of card, but here's the link to the relevant AMEX page for my card ("Blue Cash Preferred" card):

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/benefits/detail/car-rental-insurance

And contrary to the PDF linked earlier in this thread (in which pick-up trucks were specifically INCLUDED in the coverage), look at item #3 from the page on the coverage with my card which specifically EXCLUDES pickups. So indeed, YMMV.

[h=2]Good to Know[/h]

1. To receive this benefit, you must both reserve and pay the full price of the rental with your Card.
  2. This benefit provides secondary coverage and does not cover liability, personal injuries, personal property, or damages to other vehicles.
  3. This benefit does not apply to some rental vehicles, including:

• Trucks
  • Pick-ups
  • Full-sized or cargo vans
  • Commercial mini-vans
  • Customized vehicles
  • Antique cars
  • Limousines
  • Full-sized sport utility vehicles
  • Off-road vehicles
  • Any vehicles with a manufacturer's suggested new retail price of $50,000 or more
  • Any vehicles rented in Australia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, and New Zealand

I don't know if the AMEX terms vary with the type of card, but here's the link to the relevant AMEX page for my card ("Blue Cash Preferred" card):

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/benefits/detail/car-rental-insurance

And contrary to the PDF linked earlier in this thread (in which pick-up trucks were specifically INCLUDED in the coverage), look at item #3 from the page on the coverage with my card which specifically EXCLUDES pickups. So indeed, YMMV.

Good to Know

1. To receive this benefit, you must both reserve and pay the full price of the rental with your Card.
  2. This benefit provides secondary coverage and does not cover liability, personal injuries, personal property, or damages to other vehicles.
  3. This benefit does not apply to some rental vehicles, including:

• Trucks
  • Pick-ups
  • Full-sized or cargo vans
  • Commercial mini-vans
  • Customized vehicles
  • Antique cars
  • Limousines
  • Full-sized sport utility vehicles
  • Off-road vehicles
  • Any vehicles with a manufacturer's suggested new retail price of $50,000 or more
  • Any vehicles rented in Australia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, and New Zealand

The Amex coverage we've been discussing isn't the same as what's included with your card, or any other Amex card. It's an optional policy for an incremental fee, as discussed previously in this thread and on the Amex web page describing the coverage (also linked previously.). That link describes the differences between the optional policy and the coverage that comes with the card, such as you described above.

You have outlined perfectly why the optional coverage is required. It's because your basic card insurance excludes pickups and this one doesn't.

The Amex coverage we've been discussing isn't the same as what's included with your card, or any other Amex card. It's an optional policy for an incremental fee, as discussed previously in this thread and on the Amex web page describing the coverage (also linked previously.). That link describes the differences between the optional policy and the coverage that comes with the card, such as you described above.

You have outlined perfectly why the optional coverage is required. It's because your basic card insurance excludes pickups and this one doesn't.
Doh! That's what happens when I skim a long, detailed thread. I like the idea of this optional policy and just signed up. It remains to be seen how often I'll find rental agencies that (a) take AMEX and (b) will let me totally waive the CDW, but it's nice to also have the flexibility of using a non-AMEX credit card when the extra coverage isn't warranted. Thanks for your research into this and taking the time to post the relevant links.

. . . It remains to be seen how often I'll find rental agencies that (a) take AMEX and (b) will let me totally waive the CDW, . . . .

In the US, I would say no problem with (a) and (b) at any reputable agency. Outside the US, I dunno. In Panama, Avis gave me exactly two choices: (1) buy their insurance, or (2) put a US$10,000 hold on my credit card during the rental period. I caved and bought their insurance.

I've tried both of Poppy's email addresses in the last few weeks with no response. At what point should I give up and reserve through someone else?

While on the subject, any idea on her rates?

I've tried both of Poppy's email addresses in the last few weeks with no response. At what point should I give up and reserve through someone else?

While on the subject, any idea on her rates?

You could try phoning. I see two cell phone numbers as well as an office number.

Marcolva Henriquez (Poppy)
Cell: 599-9-5163001 (24Hrs)
Cell: 599-7886401 (24Hrs)
Office: 599-717-4108
PIN: 2871B66B
Telerin Car Rental B.V.
P.O.Box 347
telerin@bonairelive.com
marcolva@hotmail.com

I paid $410 which included everything for a week back in October. There were slightly cheaper options but the service cannot be beat. However, if they have become unresponsive to inquiries perhaps that is fading. There was another agency I was looking at that was across the street from the airport. They were slightly cheaper and very responsive to inquiries.

I paid $410 which included everything for a week back in October. There were slightly cheaper options but the service cannot be beat. However, if they have become unresponsive to inquiries perhaps that is fading. There was another agency I was looking at that was across the street from the airport. They were slightly cheaper and very responsive to inquiries.
Yeah, they have a diesel 4x4 suv that interested me, and they responded in minutes. But my travel companions wanted an open bed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom