BP/W buckle...right hand release?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got my harness with a LHR. Basically because sometimes I do wear a weight belt when wetsuit diving and I don't like to confuse the two. Pretty unlikely seeing as the buckle is located on my right hip, but hey, that's how rationalise it.

I have my harness buckle set up to be RHR (on the left sidie weight harness). As for canister light, I use an additional buckle to keep the canister in place, so when I need to release my weight harness, the canister won't drop to the bottom of the ocean. As far as I know, this is the GUE/UTD/DIR way to mount the canister

I don't dive with a weight belt so the release side of my harness belt is not relevant (i use rhr btw). I do however make sure my dive buddy/team is aware of the direction. I use a halcyon system for my can light so that is always tight and close to my plate in any case.

If I did use a weight belt I would reverse the release (lhr) to harness (rhr). That way I would not make any silly mistakes if I need to remove or reset my kit during a dive. When removing my kit in water it always come off to my right side.

Weight Belt

Backplate and Wing

Two different things

Same rules (RHR) need not apply

That said, there are pros and cons to either option (LHR or RHR). Right hand means it's instinctive to open it. Left hand means you can immediately differentiate and open the buckle of your choice (i.e. not drop your weights by accident, when removing your kit at the surface). Horses for courses. Take your pick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom