Cheapest OW Certs Possible, FL, Kids, Ideas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rob.mwpropane

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Biggybacking on @Eric Sedletzky thread here;
Is dive certification really necessary?

If you feel the need to roast me, go for it. I have 4 younger boys ages 22, 16, 14, and 9 (Edit; he's 11...not sure where 9 came from, lol). After diving for the last couple years I have taken them all diving at least a few times whether in the pool or in the local mud hole. They all love it. We've gone over the basics, the really important stuff, and I never go diving with more than 1 at a time. Obviously the older the kid the less "babysitting" I do, but I can always see them, and the dives are very benign. The deepest I've gone with one was the 22 yr old, and that was 28'. I get them to setup their own gear as much as they can always going over the why's and the how's and watch them the entire time. I've had some of the best conversations with my kids after a 10' dive just floating around on the surface talking.

I am not an instructor, nor do I want to be, but my kids are getting to the point where it's time to get them certified. To me, it really is just a card to start learning or continue learning without having to hide. They're all young enough (except for the 22 yr old) that they would only ever go diving with me, which is basically what we're doing now. I don't feel like they're going to get anything out of a class except maybe some experience and confidence doing it with someone else.

With that said, I want to get them all certified the absolute cheapest route that I can. To me the plastic card at the end is the same so why not. I know that I could pay good money and have them all look like little frog men coming out of the class, but honestly they're not interested in that. They just want to dive and have fun.

We're driving to FL in a couple months and I was thinking about signing them up while we're there as there own little group. It would be a good memory for them all to have. So far I've got a price of $500 / kid for everything including charter / checkout dives. This would be 1-2 days of pool stuff and then the OW checkout dives on day 3.

Looking for some other options / opinions / even some criticisms if you like. I know this whole idea is a bit taboo, so I'm ready for it.

I've had the privilege to dive and talk to a lot of instructors in the last few years. Some of you are amazing, but some of you quite frankly just got a piece of plastic yourself. Not impressive at all. I once had an instructor with over 1200 dives argue with me why an AL80 is far superior to a steel 100HP in every way.... to dive to 120':( now I know that's not the norm on SB. If you're here, you're probably really into diving, but they are out there.

I'm not 100% committed to this, it's just an idea that I have rolling around in my head. Part of me thinks it'll eat up too much time from our trip, but part of me says it would be fun for them to do during the day together...kind of like a group activity that will let the wife and I stroll the beach or something....thoughts?

talk to @The Chairman he is really good with actually teaching kids and while he is certainly not the "cheapest" option, without boat fees and what not it may make more sense.
Also you can't do full OW in 3 days, that is a standards violation.

talk to @The Chairman he is really good with actually teaching kids and while he is certainly not the "cheapest" option, without boat fees and what not it may make more sense.
Also you can't do full OW in 3 days, that is a standards violation.

Actually, they said pool would be 1-2 days depending how fast they catch on, and OW dives would be on day 2 or 3. I know it's a standards violation, it was just some random ds in FL that I emailed.

Issue is if an accident occurs can you live with yourself after it? You may also be held legally at fault by law enforcement , child abuse? , if an accident occurs, especially for the youngest one. Age 9 is too young for certification, minimum age is 10. Do it right cost should not be a consideration as it is a one time cost over their lifetime.

Actually, they said pool would be 1-2 days depending how fast they catch on, and OW dives would be on day 2 or 3. I know it's a standards violation, it was just some random ds in FL that I emailed.
Not a standard violation can be as little as 1 day for the 5 confined water modules, and 2 days for ow training dives. Also need to complete possible online requirements. Doing academics online vs traditional presentations can be more time effective.

Thanks for the referrals, guys! I don't teach below 14, so that probably eliminates me right off. I'm not interested in doing things 'quickly', but if they get it, they get it. I always do two pool sessions as well. Students just can't get the balance needed after only one.

Biggybacking on @Eric Sedletzky thread here;
Is dive certification really necessary?

If you feel the need to roast me, go for it.....thoughts?

If you are taught wrong on the front end, all of your "learning" later on will be on a bad foundation.

I get it, you have a lot of kids, I have one, and I did not go the cheap route this summer with my child, because.....she's mine. Feel free to see what not going cheap looks like.

Why choose GUE Rec-1?

Something that only one poster has mentioned - the 9 yo can’t be certified. Min is 10. Not to say youngest couldn’t do something like PADI Bubble Maker or whatever they call it.

Back
Top Bottom