Cheapest OW Certs Possible, FL, Kids, Ideas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm concerned that you're laughing at my opinion that taking your kids scuba diving without formal training and looking for the cheapest way to get a C-card isn't very responsible.

You seem to think that none of it matters, and it's not just your own life you're risking.

There are scuba diving instructors and certification agencies for a reason. Saying "most certified divers don't have a clue" or however you put it, is irrelevant.

What "skills" are acquired during OW that you can't learn with a mentor? Don't hold your breath? Clear your mask? Once?

If they want to learn more when they get older then they can go take fundies or ITT..

I have never said "most certified divers don't have a clue". And I would venture to say that most divers on SB have gone well above and beyond the bare minimum required for diving....why else do we spend time on a forum dedicated to it?

+1 on the online learning. My boys, 12 yo at the time, completed their OW 2 years ago then 17 dives later, they completed their AOW last summer. I would check with your local dive club for recommendations on instructors. Our dive club had a number of instructors available to train our boys in a local pool.

What "skills" are acquired during OW that you can't learn with a mentor?

Yeah, you're right, who needs pesky old scuba diving instructors anyway, what do they know.

This will not sound cheap, but..... Nothing is for a family of five.

This is what I did with my three kids 12,12,15 at time of certification. Bubble blowers in a local pool to make sure they dug breathing underwater, then Online padi book work. Followed by pool work and check out dives on Bonaire.

Certification ended up totaling around 400 each, got a really good deal on their rental gear for the rest of the vaca. They did training and then continuing education with mom and dad. Ended the trip with their cards and 20 some dives each. All totaled up less than $75 a dive.

This is what I did with my three kids 12,12,15 at time of certification. Bubble blowers in a local pool to make sure they dug breathing underwater, then Online padi book work. Followed by pool work and check out dives on Bonaire.

Certification ended up totaling around 400 each, got a really good deal on their rental gear for the rest of the vaca. They did training and then continuing education with mom and dad. Ended the trip with their cards and 20 some dives each. All totaled up less than $75 a dive.

And how much are flights to Bonaire for six people? :rofl3:

Yeah, you're right, who needs pesky old scuba diving instructors anyway, what do they know.

You must be an instructor. And I welcome this criticism.

They are 100% needed, just not for what I'm looking to do. I understand "choose the instructor, not the cert". I understand the importance of getting cave / wreck cert before heading that route. What I do not understand is why I need to spend $1000's of dollars to be able to take my kids 10' deep on a reef. I get there are some VERY important points to diving that must be adhered to, but outside of that diving is not rocket science.

Now with that said, there are some AMAZING instructors out there that probably aren't paid ENOUGH for what they do. Those classes are not what I'm looking for, if I was I know where to find @The Chairman :wink:

My kids just want to get a little wet and see some fish...we do not need to go 40', 50', 60' deep...

That is awesome....exactly what I'm looking for without the flight. I bet the trip is something they'll never forget.

My kids just want to get a little wet and see some fish...we do not need to go 40', 50', 60' deep...
Rob, the problem is that the even the cheapo card gives them permission to do this. Best that the training behind the card keeps them safe.

If they're never going to dive more than 10' and know not to hold their breath when breathing compressed air then you're probably ok as far as risk goes.

I'm thinking once they get a taste of a 10' reef (where the heck are 10 reefs worth looking at anyway), they're want more.

But what do I know

I'm in a similar boat as the OP. I have 2 boys, the oldest one will be 10 on Dec 9. The second is 14 months behind him. My local SCUBA shop has classes for KIDS ONLY. No adults allowed. The classes are over 3 days and they have a set of classes each month. I am going to sign him up (the 10 year old) for either the Dec of Jan class. Cost is $355...

Kids Only Scuba Course | Littleton, CO | A-1 Scuba & Travel Aquatics Center

I've been picking up gear for all 3 of us over the past year. I am trying to "standardize" where possible so we all have the same gear. I have 3 Freedom plates and 4 G250V's, plus a bunch of MK10's and a few regular G250's. I have 1 AL80 tank, and looking to get a second so we can visit our local pool (Not a SCUBA pool, but a 13' rec pool). We will do this shortly after he takes the class. I want him to take the class shortly before we go to Mexico so it's still fresh in his mind. I still have a DVD from when I took the PADI OW course 10 years ago. It's 4 - 30 minute modules. I actually watched module 1 & 2 last night so I was familiar with the material before I have him watch it. I'll probably have him watch mod 1 & 2 this weekend.

Anyway, that's my plan...

You must be an instructor. And I welcome this criticism.

They are 100% needed, just not for what I'm looking to do. I understand "choose the instructor, not the cert". I understand the importance of getting cave / wreck cert before heading that route. What I do not understand is why I need to spend $1000's of dollars to be able to take my kids 10' deep on a reef. I get there are some VERY important points to diving that must be adhered to, but outside of that diving is not rocket science.

Now with that said, there are some AMAZING instructors out there that probably aren't paid ENOUGH for what they do. Those classes are not what I'm looking for, if I was I know where to find @The Chairman :wink:

That is awesome....exactly what I'm looking for without the flight. I bet the trip is something they'll never forget.

Exactly! And where else to have almost guaranteed perfect weather for trip. We try to get in an extended fly away every other year or so to shore diving Meccas. Roatan can be family friendly as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom