Cheapest OW Certs Possible, FL, Kids, Ideas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rob, the problem is that the even the cheapo card gives them permission to do this. Best that the training behind the card keeps them safe.

I understand that. I guess my point is that most OW students are abysmal at best ( I was for sure). Without paying top dollar for a good instructor, it's just the way things are.

So I'm trying to lean the other way, since 95% of classes are sub par, the other 5% is expensive (but worth it), give me the cheapest. It will get my kids in the water and we can move slow at our own pace. It would be a cheap way to get their feet in the door so to speak.

I still have a DVD from when I took the PADI OW course 10 years ago.
This is not up-to-date on the skills needed nor on the recommendation for the class to be taught with neutral buoyancy, not kneeling on the bottom.

To add to my post above...You don't say where you live, but you said you were going to drive to FL. Have you considered pool time locally with them? My plan is to visit our local pool many, many times before I take them into the ocean. I think repetition is key. I called the local rec pool I referenced above and they said they have no problem with me using the pool to do SCUBA drills with my kids. Hopefully the same guy I talked to is there the day I show up with our gear... :D

This is not up-to-date on the skills needed nor on the recommendation for the class to be taught with neutral buoyancy, not kneeling on the bottom.

I'm not sure anyone around here got that notification about the "recommendation" of not kneeling on the bottom, lol...

So I'm trying to lean the other way,
False dichotomy. It does not have to be cheap-and-bad or expensive-and-good. Keep looking for the cheap-and-good; it exists, but you can help by sticking to shore dives for the OW stuff.

To add to my post above...You don't say where you live, but you said you were going to drive to FL. Have you considered pool time locally with them? My plan is to visit our local pool many, many times before I take them into the ocean. I think repetition is key. I called the local rec pool I referenced above and they said they have no problem with me using the pool to do SCUBA drills with my kids. Hopefully the same guy I talked to is there the day I show up with our gear... :D

We have done lots of pool, little quarry, (and even a little hot tub:)) with different skills.

Understood. My plan is to have him watch the DVD before his class to get familiar with high level stuff. I'll let the instructor teach him the current stuff.

False dichotomy. It does not have to be cheap-and-bad or expensive-and-good. Keep looking for the cheap-and-good; it exists, but you can help by sticking to shore dives for the OW stuff.

I would be 100% comfortable with that....

I was first certified in 1970 and got recertified with my son, when he turned 12, in 1997. My wife was certified with my daughter, when she turned 12, in 2002. We've been diving together, whenever possible, ever since, priceless. Between the 4 of us, just under 2,700 dives, and counting :)

Bonaire, October 8, 2019, Small Wall
upload_2020-11-20_13-13-51.png

I was first certified in 1970 and got recertified with my son, when he turned 12, in 1997. My wife was certified with my daughter, when she turned 12, in 2002. We've been diving together, whenever possible, ever since, priceless. Between the 4 of us, just under 2,700 dives, and counting :)

Bonaire, October 8, 2019, Small Wall
View attachment 625394

That's awesome!!!

Back
Top Bottom