Choosing the right fins for my diving needs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And Jet fins are available in yum-yum yellow.

I've had the same cheap fins forever, but my wife just got me a pair of Mares Avanti Quatros for our anniversary and I ordered a set of Dive Gear Express scuba pro knockoffs At the bottom of the Dive Gear Express fin page, they discuss all the fin hype. I don't know enough to comment oneway or another, but it's an interesting read anyway.

Fins, Boots and Fin Straps | Dive Gear Express®

Good luck with your search,
Jay

I own the f1s, the mares, and the deep 6. All are excellent. F1s are negative and I use them in drysuit, the deep 6 are my go to for diving wet. For my foot the are slightly more comfortable than the mares.

Dive Rite XT is the best fin for the tech strokes you mentioned, no pun intended. All of those are good fins, and I have experience with many of them, but for those precise techniques I prefer the rigidity and durability of the XT's. Make sure you try on any fin before you buy, preferably in exactly the boot/ie/covering you'll wear. Try to buy once said one who didn't once.

Tried the 'Mares Avanti Quattro' for technical diving, dumped them because they were not stiff enough. Bought the 'Scubapro Jet Fins' with spring straps. Use them for double backmount with stages, sidemount and 'single tank' backmount. Wetsuit and drysuit. 100% happy with them.

I use my seawings for DM'ing where I may need to chase someone down and general rec wetsuit diving. These haven't missed a beat for the last 5 years. I don't use these fins when in a wreck, I'll switch to my F1's if needed as I find they don't frog kick great, they work but I do find they silt up things a bit. These are the non-gorilla versions, the stiffness of the gorilla is likely a better fit.

For the drysuit I use my F1's only. I had Jets, I had to change them as they didn't fit my drysuit boot. The foot pocket in the F1's are much more comfortable but I do miss the shorter length of the Jet fin, the F1's are quite a bit longer. I've never found the weight to be an issue even when diving wet with these fins, just more conscious of keeping my fins up.

I now need an excuse for a third set, I like the bright orange of the deep 6 fins, but who knows yet!

I have lots of experience with jets and mares quattros, can't help you with the others. IMO the jets are way better for precision kicks, especially back kicking, and they trim out better for me in BM doubles. The mares are better for me with single tank (usually AL80) thin wetsuit, recreational settings. I actually like the full foot avantis better, but they are not good for back kicks.

The only way to find out what's best for you is to try some. You can borrow, buy used, whatever, to get a feel, and then post the results. Then someone might be able to point you in a direction. But in the end you still have to try them.

I'm not crazy about the foot pocket for jets, and if I could find a fin that has the same buoyancy and propulsion performance but with a more comfortable foot pocket, I'd get it.

Jet fins or the Mares Power Plana.
I have them both, along with also the Avanti Quattro and the Dive Rite.

Considering your requirements for #1 and #4, and #6 get either the Jet fins or the Power Plana.
The Power Plana is equal to the Jet is every way, and feels a bit better to me when flutter kicking.

It has a better foot pocket than the Jet fin.
For my drysuit (boot size=Santi size XXL) the Power Plana in a size Large fits. My XL jets do not.

I wear size 10 felt sole boots when diving wet. Both fins fit.

The Power Plana has a slightly taller foot pocket than the Jet fin, with a more contoured shape on top.

I'm still a big fan of my Jet fins.....but the Power Plana was done right by Mares IMO.

I have tried the RK3 fins. I agree with JohnnyC....they are too floppy.

I have a couple of buddies that have Hollis F1 fins and love them....I tried them and didn't care for them.....which just goes to show that it is difficult to take other peoples opinions.

Last edited:
Thanks all for these awesome comments .. really appreciate helping me.

have few questions ..
  • What ars the differences between Mares Power Plana and tec XR? Just the strap? Which is better?
  • in case i will get the Jet Fins .. there are a lot of varieties in the market .. so far I saw the one that is made in USA , another one made in Taiwan and 3rd one made in Italy ... based on some reviews I knew that they differ in sizes .. not sure which one to get .. but I assume the USA one since scubapro is based in US .. is that right ?
Regards

Last edited:
Scubapro is an Italian company.

I think it is not the manufacture origin, it is just the time the fin is made. I have a pair of XL and a pair L. both are very old from USA. They are both rubber, but material on my XL is more flexible than the L. I have also used a pair from a friend, recent production from USA, it doesn't feel like rubber and it is stiffer. Having that said, I won't worry about it at all. They are more similar than they are difference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom