Deep Six Outfitters Eddy Fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The reason is actually simple...
I did the soft for small med because many testers of the small medium complained they were too stiff. Smaller divers generally.
The xxl..Well, the factory did a production run by mistake of the xxl in the softer compound...So...Now I had both in xxl.

My eventual plan is to offer each size in harder and in softer...But that means a min order of 450 pairs...Which right now is too many to carry

Perhaps I should clarify - I do have a pair of the fins in XL I use for wetsuit diving. I really like them. I was really excited to see that you have them in 2XL now, as the XL was not big enough to fit my drysuit boots. I just ordered a pair today of the 2xl in the softer compound - largely because I was hoping that softness would also translate into a more comfortable foot pocket. I wear a size 14/15 rock boot, and with any fins smaller than my f1's, my feet go a little numb by the end of a dive on my rebreather. My F1s are heavy, though, and I found that they tend to drag my feet down while scootering, and I'd like something lighter. I do like the control the F1s give me when finning, though - and I suspect at large part of that control comes from their stiffness. What I don't like is that I will get some cramps in my legs if I am finning a lot, especially for long penetrations into current.

What I was really looking for is the following: is there any real advantage to the softer compound for these fins? If it was simply a manufacturing mistake, that's OK...but I don't really know how that will translate into the actual use of these fins. Also, I was wondering if the softer compound was also more buoyant, or if it is simply a different material, and it's all a wash. The way I figure it, for the price you are charging for these fins, I'd just order a pair and see how they work - but I'd love your opinion on what I should expect. As it turns out, several people have asked for more info on the softer compound for the fins, so I figured you would jump at the opportunity to discuss them a bit.

Also, I'd really like to know if you will be making the 2xl in orange - I REALLY love the orange fins, and if I were to decide the softer 2xl isn't what I'm looking for, I'd be willing to wait for a run of the 2xl in orange - assuming they fit my rock boots, of course.

They will fit your rock boots, no problem

The softer is virtually the same buoyancy..Or so close I sure can't tell the difference. The softer version is softer kicking for lack of a better term, still lots of thrust. I think I prefer the hard compound.. Everyone that has tried both like one or the other slightly better, nobody has expressed a HUGE love of one over the other @The Chairman has tried both the hard and soft xxl, he may want to chime in.

No immediate plans for orange in xxl

In your experience, would you say the soft version would be preferred for shore dives (with current) and typical tropical diving with wetsuit?

In your experience, would you say the soft version would be preferred for shore dives (with current) and typical tropical diving with wetsuit?
if you flutter, the soft is a better choice..if you frog and tech with more gear, hard

We ARE still talking about fins, right?

if you flutter, the soft is a better choice..if you frog and tech with more gear, hard
I just sent you guys a message about my order - I had ordered the soft fins, but I am thinking the harder ones are probably a better choice. Hopefully this can be switched out before the order ships? >>crosses fingers<<

Well I got a pair of used OMS slipstreams this winter and in my first day of having them in the water I lost them during my rescue course. It's funny now, not so much then.
They did seem a little stiff the little I got to use them. Seems like Eddy fin is still light, but not as stiff and that is an attractive price on them. Decisions, decisions

I just sent you guys a message about my order - I had ordered the soft fins, but I am thinking the harder ones are probably a better choice. Hopefully this can be switched out before the order ships? >>crosses fingers<<
Ummm...We will try. Right now I am in Asia and our shipper is part time. With the distance and time zone..Sometimes comms are interesting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom