Question Did Scuba prevent you having a midlife crisis?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba diving keeps me young and in shape.
Where I dive you have to be in shape otherwise it’s not so much fun.
Been at it 25 years and I love it more than anything I’ve ever done. There is no crisis.
There’s no “been there done that” with me, it’s more like “been there and will continue to be there” as long as I can crawl in and out if the water and handle all the gear, conditions, etc. After that there’s always boat diving.
They don’t call me Jerry (Atrick) yet so that’s good.

Turned 40, started diving.
I ran the numbers on what I've spent (in this first year) on diving and I've technically met the definition of a tithe to the church of SCUBA.

So mid-life redemption?
The Church of SCUBA (nice!) offers no redemptions and prefers diving on high tithe.

Finally getting certified was cool. However, ScubaBoard changed my life in ways that it's hard to imagine. I got to Russia, all over the Caribbean, the Sea of Cortez, the Socorros, the Philippines, Fiji, California and more. There's also all that notoriety that's allowed me to meet the real heroes of our sport and many who think they're heroes. :D

The blonds and spots cars are just a hobby

Started diving in my early teens, midlife crisis be damned.
Indeed, I was 12 when I started, but just over 40 when I finally got certified.

The hot chick in the passenger seat adds 15 hp

One feels a basic need to explore a reef, or a wreck, or the sub-surface area around an atoll, with as little as possible impact on the natural ecosystem. The need to explore is as old as humanity and Cousteau is often quoted as saying "we must go and see for ourselves" among other more eloquent prose. Such explorations are actually impossible without a certain set of tools, where "tools" can refer to both gear and techniques. Proper trim and finning technique are tools which allow one to extend one's underwater time, hence enabling further, safer exploration. One can decide to start exploring when one is young or old.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom