Difference in Back Plates and HOG question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Going back to the original question -- I got a long and very technical explanation from Tobin George of Deep Sea Supply once, that had to do with the specific alloys used in various grades of stainless, and how some of them are more corrosion-resistant in salt water than others, and how the ones that are, are expensive.

There is also a difference in finish quality. Some plates are thoroughly deburred and others aren't. DSS plates have elastomeric grommets in the lower slots that obviate the necessity for triglides, and make adjustment a bit easier. Some plates don't have camband slots (the Halcyon small pattern plate, for example) and some have fewer bolt holes/slots than others.

Going back to the original question -- I got a long and very technical explanation from Tobin George of Deep Sea Supply once, that had to do with the specific alloys used in various grades of stainless, and how some of them are more corrosion-resistant in salt water than others, and how the ones that are, are expensive.

There is also a difference in finish quality. Some plates are thoroughly deburred and others aren't. DSS plates have elastomeric grommets in the lower slots that obviate the necessity for triglides, and make adjustment a bit easier. Some plates don't have camband slots (the Halcyon small pattern plate, for example) and some have fewer bolt holes/slots than others.

I'm looking and looking at some of these and cannot find how they are made, or what finish they use. Does it really matter if I'm thoroughly cleaning everything at the end of each day as well? or....?

---------- Post added April 4th, 2013 at 06:58 PM ----------

I am also looking for the thread about a balanced rig if someone wants to be so kind to provide a link. :)

My favorite color combination is Red and Black, so they sort of have a hand up with coloring, but that's about the only thing that catches my eye. I'm pretty naive about the rest of it.

You're gonna love this:

575888_602991763062654_178656202_n.jpg

532901_602991539729343_1386703869_n.jpg

Just posted to the Edge/Hog facebook page. Beautiful.

That's HOG gear so I'd imagine you'd have to chase down your local retailer. I don't know if it's actually available for public consumption just yet. Was literally just posted to the HOG/Edge page on Facebook about 15 minutes ago. Hope they don't mind me linking it here but it's too cool not to share and when I saw the Red/Black it reminded me of your thread - had to spread the info.

I dig it much. Originally I thought about sending a BP to my cousin to have powder coated, this might save a step.

I can powder coat at home... be jealous.

What you are paying for on backplates is essentially the brand and maybe the quality of the finish. While the bend, the holes, and the cam slots change none of that should increase the price. The quality of the finish will. Also remember you can deal with dive shops, so you should be able to buy it at a discount.

the big difference for the price is the value of each scuba brands.

:shocked2: :eyebrow: :cheers: :dropmouth:

Where can I get that at???????

I have the red harness and a black plate in stock now. Can get the red plate and wing as well. Althought I think one of the red/black wings is out of stock but on the way. Or was last week. But I can set you up with an all black. Shoot me a PM.

---------- Post added April 4th, 2013 at 10:36 PM ----------

Just an FYI the red and black plates are the aluminum plates.

Jim,

I sent you a PM about the black and red goodness. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom