DIN-Yoke Adapters, reasons to avoid?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aren't those inserts metric, as dfx indicates in the previous post? I once made the mistake of taking an Imperial set of Allen wrenches, and it turned out the insert was metric.
The ones I've seen so far were metric. But 1/4" is 6.35 mm, so a 6 mm key would probably work on those.

someone at my LDS tried using a 6mm on one that was a 1/4 and twisted the allen key in there enough to bind it up and get the allen key stuck pretty good.

IMG_0455.jpg
I do have some of the inserts that are defiantly 6mm though

For DIN/Yoke conversion (what sounds optimal, if it's available for the regs) does anyone know if it exists for HOG first stages? I found this:
DIN to Yoke conversion Kit - Dive Right in Scuba
but I can't find it on HOG's website. I am contemplating a D3/dual Zeniths, though that's another thread of questions...

I'll definitely make sure to travel with 6 mm+ 8 mm + 1/4" allen keys. Somewhat off topic, but is there a thread somewhere with suggestions for a basic toolkit to travel with? Just tools for the basics of what might go wrong.

heres a thread for a save a dive kit. you can get as detailed as you want.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ac...ve-kit-dry-box-mega-thread-work-progress.html

for me the small kit I have of tools includes
a metric and standard allen wrench set
screwdrivers in phillips and slotted
a crescent wrench that had the jaws sanded down to look like this
o ring pick
a small set of stubby combination wrenches in sea and metric
needle nose pliers and wire cutters

i keep them all in a tool roll like this

If you are going this route, I will say just make the yoke conversion, test it, make sure it work before you leave home. Yoke tanks are everywhere. With yoke regulator, you are 99.99% you will get a rental tank. The same can't be said about DIN rental. I know it has been improving, but DIN is just not as common on rental fleet. The last thing you want is to mess with your working regulator in your dive vacation and render it unfunctionaly. I still don't believe there is a real advantage of DIN valve for single tank, non overhead, recreational dive.

I use DIN tanks at home. When I travel, I can often arrange for DIN tanks ahead of time. I had no trouble getting DIN tanks on my last two trips, to Kona and to Costa Rica. When I can't arrange for DIN ahead of time, it only takes me a couple of minutes to remove the DIN inlet assembly on my first stage (Zeagle) and replace it with a yoke inlet assembly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I've said before, the size of the hole on the adapter plug depends on the size of Allen key you don't have.

I've seen lots of different sizes, metric and imperial. The majority I see nowadays seem to be 8mm so I keep an 8mm key by the charging station. Today I installed a new manifold and went to take the plugs out (I know the customer wants DIN) and sure enough, the plugs were 6mm!

I use DIN tanks at home. When I travel, I can often arrange for DIN tanks ahead of time. I had no trouble getting DIN tanks on my last two trips, to Kona and to Costa Rica. When I can't arrange for DIN ahead of time, it only takes me a couple of minutes to remove the DIN inlet assembly on my first stage (Zeagle) and replace it with a yoke inlet assembly.

Do you do that because you don't like to use the DIN-to-yoke adapter? My HOG reg set came with a DIN-to-yoke adapter. When I dive in Florida, DIN is easy to find. But I have heard that in Bonaire DIN is not widely available. I have not been back to Bonaire since switching from my old yoke reg set to a new DIN set. Should I look into a conversion kit? Again, what's your objection to the simple adapter?

Do you do that because you don't like to use the DIN-to-yoke adapter? My HOG reg set came with a DIN-to-yoke adapter. When I dive in Florida, DIN is easy to find. But I have heard that in Bonaire DIN is not widely available. I have not been back to Bonaire since switching from my old yoke reg set to a new DIN set. Should I look into a conversion kit? Again, what's your objection to the simple adapter?

I don't use an add-on adapter for two reasons. One, I don't own one. (It was just about the same cost to get the DIN inlet parts.). Two, I don't want the first stage to be any closer to the back of my head, as it would be if I used an adapter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom