DIR GoPro mounting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another option would be mounting the gopro on a pole, and then clip the pole to the right side chest and waste d rings, like a stage bottle when you dont want it in your hands. Pole mounting provides much steadier video than hand held....the heavier the pole--the more inertial damping--and the longer the pole, lower polar moment of inertia.....( really versus hand held ---and you don't need a 5 foot pole--that would be harder to manage...about the length of the shortest pole spears would do it....and I think they may sell go pro poles...but you could probably make one better and cheaper.

I really liked the good man handle suggestion of one poster--for many types of filming that would be cool and totally out of the way---and all video looks much better when lit up with a good light system.

Best.... is mounted to a scooter :)

Another option would be mounting the gopro on a pole, and then clip the pole to the right side chest and waste d rings, like a stage bottle when you dont want it in your hands. Pole mounting provides much steadier video than hand held....the heavier the pole--the more inertial damping--and the longer the pole, lower polar moment of inertia.....( really versus hand held ---and you don't need a 5 foot pole--that would be harder to manage...about the length of the shortest pole spears would do it....and I think they may sell go pro poles...but you could probably make one better and cheaper.

I really liked the good man handle suggestion of one poster--for many types of filming that would be cool and totally out of the way---and all video looks much better when lit up with a good light system.

Best.... is mounted to a scooter :)

Right waist d-ring :crafty:

yjuvu8a6.jpg

It belongs in your pocket until needed, I have a short lanyard of bungee with a bolt snap for when I am using it. Bolt snap for the picket bungees and lanyard incase I need to donate gas.

It belongs in your pocket until needed, I have a short lanyard of bungee with a bolt snap for when I am using it. Bolt snap for the picket bungees and lanyard incase I need to donate gas.

I think that is probably the best "DIR" answer.

There is no "official way" but this works for me. Same clip size used for reg or backup lights. Tie clip to a GoPro attachment rather than directly to camera, makes it so clip removable if you want to put GoPro on a different mount. Chest d ring clip for temp. Suit pocket for longer period of non use, entry, exit. Use lens caps in pockets. Store lens cap when camera in use in the little flap zipper compartment of pockets. There are better mounts for shot stability, but this works great for compactness.

View attachment 180774

I've got mine setup with a clip right now in a similar fashion, but I removed the extension from the housing (the short black portion with the screw on it). Seemed to me like having the extension and bolt was one more complication and something that could snag on monofilament.

I picked up a head mount the other day, and I'll be using that for the foreseeable future. Easy to pull off if I want to get a better shot, out of the way, not hanging off my d-rings, and not filling pocket space. A short length of cord can ensure if it comes off you won't lose it permanently.

Yes, the main issue is the retractor cable is metal, thin, and open ended. With canister light, the light cord is thick. Light head is on your hand on clip off, so the cord is close ended. The thick cord wrapping around something is less likely. If it does, you can easily unwrap.

With the thin metal cable, it is not the case. Last time my buddy used it, he had a light on the retractor. Swimming through the kalp in monterey, the light was caught without he knowing it. As he swim away, the cable extended and wrapped around the kalp. We were not able to unwrap the cable and not able to cut the cable either. We ended up cutting the kelps. We were both on the edge of panic, well not panic, but our SAC was through the roof for that couple of a minutes there.

more dangerous than a cord on a canister light?

Of course I am being facetious. I don't think retractors are as dangerous as people make them out to be. You have about as much chance of getting killed by a retractor as you do by split fins :)

Although I have never cut one and so can't be sure, it is a pretty thin wire and I am pretty sure it could be cut if necessary. I have cut electrical wires with scissors before when I couldn't find my sidecutters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom