DIR GoPro mounting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tjbald11

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all,

Relatively new to diving. I am getting into technical diving and really want to follow the DIR/Hogarth philosophy to the best of my ability. I dive with a GoPro because of its price, size, and surprising performance. I haven't found anything online that says the safest/ most DIR way to attach a gopro to your harness. I am currently using a gear keeper retractable gear attachment system clipped onto my right chest D ring, which is not exactly DIR, but I have found it to be the safest way to store the GoPro during dives. It retracts, so when not in use, it is minimizing its presence and keeping me as streamline as possible. I like how it is retractable because I can hold it and move it around to film and take pictures of different things, but will retract if I need my hands for something. It uses a suicide clip, not a bolt snap, and it has a cheap plastic buckle that allows it to be released from the gear keeper. I know these aren't the things you want in a DIR set up, but the fact that it is retractable allows me the freedom to move my camera around when I want, and for it to be retracted and out of the way to minimize a snagging hazard.

What ways do you guys suggest I attach/house my GoPro? I don't want to have to hold it the entire time, and I want to remain as streamline as possible. I also don't want to keep it in my drysuit pocket because I don't want it to impede on my ability to get my back up knife/mask/light in case I need something quickly.

I am thinking about attaching a bolt snap to my dive housing and clipping it on my right waist D ring kind of like a light. or back up to my right chest D ring......

Thanks!!

Take GUE-F
Leave the Gopro at home while you get adept
Put a bolt snap on it and clip it to a chest D-ring (but only after you actually have technical skills, until then its just more junk to burden your mental bandwidth)

I use a short grenade grip and a double-ender with some cut-away cave line. Store it clupped off in drysuit pocket when not in use. On chest d-ring if I quickly/temporarily need my hand free. Never been officially DIR approved though. Will post a pic later.

Sent from my HTC One

There is no "official way" but this works for me. Same clip size used for reg or backup lights. Tie clip to a GoPro attachment rather than directly to camera, makes it so clip removable if you want to put GoPro on a different mount. Chest d ring clip for temp. Suit pocket for longer period of non use, entry, exit. Use lens caps in pockets. Store lens cap when camera in use in the little flap zipper compartment of pockets. There are better mounts for shot stability, but this works great for compactness.

2014-03-29 17.52.51.jpg

IMG_20140119_133132.jpg

This is what I did to mount it to my primary light. I took the standard GoPro bicycle helmet mount and threaded the webbing to hold on to the light head. It does make it easy to just start recording and then forget about it. Nice and cheap, minimum commitment! A diffuser in front of the primary will go a long way to keeping the hot spot from bleaching your video/pictures. While it is pretty convenient, and for the right dive I will use it again, I've found myself to be an occasional picture taker that benefits more from the bolt snap method.

On the bolt snap: I would add a bobber or other float so that when it hangs it finds its way up under your arm, out of the way. I say this because otherwise it hangs down and drags on rocks, catches on wrecks... etc... (I'm a bit of a "squeeze/restriction" addict, so this might not bother you as much as it does me.)

Last edited:
When I took the Documentation Diver class from JP Bresser last year, he didn't say anything about my coiled lanyard. It clips up short for entries and exits, and unclips to allow more length for pictures. Unlike a retractor, it can't jam or rust. JP did want it clipped to my right chest d-rings, which I keep trying to do and having problems with.

To my knowledge, there is no procedurally dictated GUE protocol for clipping off cameras.

When I took the Documentation Diver class from JP Bresser last year, he didn't say anything about my coiled lanyard. It clips up short for entries and exits, and unclips to allow more length for pictures. Unlike a retractor, it can't jam or rust. JP did want it clipped to my right chest d-rings, which I keep trying to do and having problems with.

To my knowledge, there is no procedurally dictated GUE protocol for clipping off cameras.

Just being curious, why did JP want it clipped to the right d ring?

Take GUE-F
Leave the Gopro at home while you get adept
Put a bolt snap on it and clip it to a chest D-ring (but only after you actually have technical skills, until then its just more junk to burden your mental bandwidth)
I agree with what Richard is saying here-- don't screw around with a camera until you've gained enough experience to be comfortable with the basic skills.

I think re-tractor, especially the kind with metal cable is one of the most dangerous thing. It can wrap around thing accidentally and being metal, it cannot be cut loose. I have had a bad moment with this device. I persoanlly will first ditch the re-tractor. In fact, I probably wont want my buddy to use one either.

I think re-tractor, especially the kind with metal cable is one of the most dangerous thing. It can wrap around thing accidentally and being metal, it cannot be cut loose. I have had a bad moment with this device. I persoanlly will first ditch the re-tractor. In fact, I probably wont want my buddy to use one either.

more dangerous than a cord on a canister light?

Of course I am being facetious. I don't think retractors are as dangerous as people make them out to be. You have about as much chance of getting killed by a retractor as you do by split fins :)

Although I have never cut one and so can't be sure, it is a pretty thin wire and I am pretty sure it could be cut if necessary. I have cut electrical wires with scissors before when I couldn't find my sidecutters.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom