Disassemble BP/W for travel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps I should have mentioned that I am trying to get it all into a carryon bag.

I don't see this happening. Fins and regs on top of the plate and suit will pretty much guarantee you'll be bigger than max carry-on dimensions.

I carry on lights and regs. Suit, plates, wings, and fin like stuff goes in checked baggage.

I can get everything into an overhead carryon, including plate, wings, regs, a large can light and jetfins. But I don't have a wetsuit and I'm certain I wouldn't be able to squeeze that in as well.

I don't think it i possible, I have tried relentlessly and now that they are putting weight restriction on carry on as well as size requirements it makes it even more challenging.

I wish they would charge by total weight, passenger plus baggage, then us little people would be the big winners.

N

I wish they would charge by total weight, passenger plus baggage, then us little people would be the big winners.
I'd be okay with a weight-based fare component even though I am (a fit) 220 pounds, but weight is not the whole story; my 100-pound fiancee takes up the same number of seats as I do.

But it takes more energy and thus fuel and thus money to lift 220 pounds than does it 100 pounds and often really large people actually do spill over their seats more than just a little.

If they put a fixed weight limit, passenger and baggage, and then charged by the pound above that I would be cool with that. The "average human weight of 170 pounds per the FAA plus 50 pounds baggage checked plus 25 pounds carry on is a total of 245 pounds. That means a 165 pounder like me could carry an extra five pounds free of charge and a 220 pounder like you would have to pay extra for your wight and baggage allowance exceeding 245 pounds. That is fair to me.

If they go to 15 pound carry on it will be hard to even carry a camera kit or anything much useful.

N

But it takes more energy and thus fuel and thus money to lift 220 pounds than does it 100 pounds
I agree.

and often really large people actually do spill over their seats more than just a little.
I don't know how you'd work it, but that should result in a charge for the extra space and for the excess weight--and a credit to the person whose seat is being encroached upon. There has been some experimentation with price differentials for different seats within coach--$15 extra for aisle seats, for example. Maybe they could distribute extra-width seats throughout the cabin and charge accordingly. You'd put more on the Miami-to-Oklahoma City route, less on Salt Lake City-to-Colorado Springs.

If they put a fixed weight limit, passenger and baggage, and then charged by the pound above that I would be cool with that. The "average human weight of 170 pounds per the FAA plus 50 pounds baggage checked plus 25 pounds carry on is a total of 245 pounds. That means a 165 pounder like me could carry an extra five pounds free of charge and a 220 pounder like you would have to pay extra for your wight and baggage allowance exceeding 245 pounds. That is fair to me.
Sounds fair to me too, and it sounds like something that could be implemented without undue revamping of airport logistics.

What about the super-tall, skinny people who always end up in the seat behind me? Their knees always push up into the seat and prevent me from reclining. Maybe we should charge extra on the z-axis too, or better yet, brand everyone's foreheads with "standard" or "non-standard" labels and throw all of the latter into the cargo hold. That too would be pretty easy on airport logistics, all you'd need is a big container.

We put our rigs - plate, webbing plus wing (take out z-knives and stuff) into one checked bag - believe it or not, the fit perfectly into a cabin-size wheelie bag - and regs, masks and computers into another carry on. We take one bag each. The reg bag has enough room for a book or two and other travel sundries. Never a problem. We make a point of telling security staff that we're carrying dive equipment, and they've been pretty cool.

What about the super-tall, skinny people who always end up in the seat behind me? Their knees always push up into the seat and prevent me from reclining.
That is covered in the Vladimir-Nemrod (patent pending) plan--They would be compensated for their light weight by having more free luggage allowance. They would be charged for the extra space they require by paying more for seats with extra leg room. Some newer planes have seats that don't encroach on the space behind them to recline--they slide you forward so the space you use is your own. The seat in front of you has a hard shell.

I always take my bp in carry on. If some extra stuff like fins and the dive knife have to go in the checked luggage so be it. My rule is if I think it might get flagged by X-Ray then I want to be there when they open it. A big metal plate is certainly one of those things. My VR3 is another for some reason.

Last time I changed out my harness it took me two dives and some strange bruises to get things figured out again. Doubles with no wetsuit can provide funny marks. My suggestion is not to take off your harness.

Back
Top Bottom