Disassemble BP/W for travel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know about you, but I've spent a lot of time getting my harness set up PERFECTLY. There is no way I'm taking it apart. If the webbing is too stiff to collapse well, just pack soft stuff under and around the straps.

AMEN to that! I've spent WAY...WAY...WAY.....too much time and effort assenbling the perfect BC/wing so tear it down ever again, so it goes FIRST into the dive gear bag, then everything else gets stuffed/crammed/slotted to fill up all the other remaining spaces...works for me.

What about the super-tall, skinny people who always end up in the seat behind me? Their knees always push up into the seat and prevent me from reclining. Maybe we should charge extra on the z-axis too, or better yet, brand everyone's foreheads with "standard" or "non-standard" labels and throw all of the latter into the cargo hold. That too would be pretty easy on airport logistics, all you'd need is a big container.

What about the people (not saying you would do this) who sit in front of me, the tall guy, and slam their seat all the way back without a thought of looking behind them or asking if it's OK if they do so? I can control my weight, but not my height. When I sit with my butt backed nto the seat, my knees are often touching the seatback in front of me. Perhaps better that everyone sort of figures out how to get along in an airplane.

My pet peeve?? Since I like aisle seats, I often board in "Group 4" only to find out that the overhead bin is full. I figure I paid for my seat and a piece of that bin, and I want it!

What about the people (not saying you would do this) who sit in front of me, the tall guy, and slam their seat all the way back without a thought of looking behind them or asking if it's OK if they do so? I can control my weight, but not my height. When I sit with my butt backed nto the seat, my knees are often touching the seatback in front of me. Perhaps better that everyone sort of figures out how to get along in an airplane.

Meh, to be fair, the normal expectation is that you can recline your seat whenever you want, not that you should verify the height and femur length of the person behind you on every flight. But since I always sit in front of a 7'2" NBA star, I can tell you that that it's never a worry with me, because I get the knees-digging-into-the-back-of-the-seat as soon as he sits down, with the seats in the fully-upright-position, so I know from the beginning that my reclining space is gone (and really, I'm fine with it; I'm happy to make a concession on my own comfort to make someone else's life easier, since I know it's just as uncomfortable for them, and they have to deal with it every time they fly).

My pet peeve?? Since I like aisle seats, I often board in "Group 4" only to find out that the overhead bin is full. I figure I paid for my seat and a piece of that bin, and I want it!

I always make it a point to get boarding group 1, and exit row seating if possible. If you're very tall and have people try to recline on you, you really owe it to yourself to take the minimal effort to do the same. Just like I accept the fact that sometimes I can't recline cause of some guy's kneecaps, you at some point have to realize that when you board on the last group, you're necessarily going to be giving up some convenience in terms of luggage space and seating availability. And it's not like you lose capacity - if the overhead is full, you still have the space below the seat, or the crew will be happy to take your bag and check-in-at-the-gate for you; reasonable consequence of boarding in a late group.

Has anyone ever considered putting a piano hinge into the plate down the center channel. The piano hinge would allow it to fold or if the wire is pulled, to split in half. N

I can get everything into an overhead carryon, including plate, wings, regs, a large can light and jetfins. But I don't have a wetsuit and I'm certain I wouldn't be able to squeeze that in as well.

You must be folding your fins or something. My SP jets are longer than allowable carry-on dimensions

You must be folding your fins or something. My SP jets are longer than allowable carry-on dimensions

Not folding, but they're certainly not straight. I put the fins in last, and they sit lengthwise over the rest of the gear. The fintip on one curves down toward the bottom of the luggage case and on the other curves down over the top of the case. The springs are folded back into the foot pockets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom