Ditchable weight with a BP/W: What to buy, how much on the belt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a DSS BP&W and use a Mako rubber belt for my weights. It does go under the harness, so I have to unbuckle the harness to ditch weights. The largest amount of weight I've used is 20 pounds, arranged as two standard 10# diving weights, one on each hip. I use the 2# "pinch weights" when smaller amounts of weight are called for, because they stay put on the belt. I like this arrangement. It's comfortable, simple, stays put, and is not prone to accidental release.

I dive wet though and have never used a drysuit.

I use a Mako belt. So does my girlfriend. We both have xs scuba weight pockets on ours. I use two of those and two pockets I sell that have quick releases. We both dive properly weighted and so ditchable weights are not a big concern. I can drop a couple pounds by taking a weight out of one of the pockets if needed. No need to drop all my weights unless the stuff really hits the fan. The time it takes to undo the crotch strap, waist belt buckle, or just cut the crotch strap is a split second to allow the belt to drop. I'm more worried about losing the belt accidentally than about being able to ditch it.

If I go DSS BP/W - say an SS BP, and say I need 28 lbs total with my drysuit (200lbs, 6'1 atheletic build male):

HP100 Steel Tank
5lbs BP
6lbs(?) trim pockets on cam bands? (or bolt on plates from DSS)

How much on my weight belt?

What should I buy for my weight belt system?

DUI Trim & Harness system (used, $75)?
[local]

DGX Dive Rite weight harness system - $70, DGX
Dive Rite Weight Harness | Dive Gear Express®

I dive in cold water with a SS BP, 10lbs on the upper cam band and another 8 in two quick release XS Scuba pockets on the waist band.

Aha! So these guys?

http://www.leisurepro.com/p-xssqrwp/xs-scuba-quick-release-single-weight-pocket

Could I add those to a Mako belt? And/or just directly to my BP harness on waist, perhaps 4-5lbs in either pocket?

On the BP harness, I would use the quick release tabs built into the pocket then? Or on the Mako belt, I could choose to quick release via the pockets, or the whole belt?

Which do you think would be better?

Finally, thoughts on that aforementioned setup VS the entire belt system? (http://www.leisurepro.com/p-xsswb/xs-scuba-weight-belt)

It seems like 4 of the above quick release pockets + 1x Mako Rubber weight belt would give me the ultimate in flexibility and options, and allow me to travel without weight and then just add weight in when I rent? And allow mounting on either the Mako belt or direct to my BP webbing, all the while always maintaining quick release?

(only concern is the 1 negative review on their talking about the cheap quality - wondering if there's a higher quality quick release weight pocket like this, or if that review is just inaccurate?)

The issue is with the pockets on the Mako belt is that they slide. Unless you use something to hold them in place like an oversize tri glide. Those are not easy to find. In fact I couldn't find them so I cut my own. Using a waterjet at work and 1/8 inch lexan. The Mako belt is thicker than a web belt and standard tri glides won't go on and are too narrow.

Aha! So these guys?

http://www.leisurepro.com/p-xssqrwp/xs-scuba-quick-release-single-weight-pocket

Could I add those to a Mako belt? And/or just directly to my BP harness on waist, perhaps 4-5lbs in either pocket?

On the BP harness, I would use the quick release tabs built into the pocket then? Or on the Mako belt, I could choose to quick release via the pockets, or the whole belt?

Which do you think would be better?

Finally, thoughts on that aforementioned setup VS the entire belt system? (http://www.leisurepro.com/p-xsswb/xs-scuba-weight-belt)

It seems like 4 of the above quick release pockets + 1x Mako Rubber weight belt would give me the ultimate in flexibility and options, and allow me to travel without weight and then just add weight in when I rent? And allow mounting on either the Mako belt or direct to my BP webbing, all the while always maintaining quick release?

(only concern is the 1 negative review on their talking about the cheap quality - wondering if there's a higher quality quick release weight pocket like this, or if that review is just inaccurate?)

Thanks for the positive comments about the MAKO belt. If Jim says the pockets will slide, then I believe him. I've not tried them. If you used small weights 1-2 lbs in front and behind the pockets, I assume that would also serve to anchor them.

One of the drawbacks for placing the lead (or pockets) on the BC or BP harness is that it make the BC (or BP/w) heavier and more cumbersome to handle when switching from one tank to another.

As someone else mentioned, it is a good idea to have enough ditchable lead to allow the diver to reach the surface after a worst case failure. If you are diving in a warm water location and using a thin wetsuit, typically you will not need a whole lot of lead and most (or all of it) can be worn comfortably and safely on a rubber belt. If you are wearing a modest amount of lead and need to ditch it, it may be easier to just drop the whole belt rather than using pockets.

For people that need a considerable amount of lead, I can understand how they might want to have some fixed lead and also have the option of ditching a portion of the lead on the belt (i.e., want independent pocket(s).

Another potential advantage of a simple freediver belt is that you can throw it on and use it for snorkeling if you are wearing a wetsuit.

Will these Mako weights work on any standard 2" weight belt, and fit in any standard trim pockets?

Two Pound Weight
Four Pound Weight | MAKO Spearguns
Yes those are standard weights that will work on any belt.

This is an interesting weight as well. the I "eye" weight has slots so you can slip it on or off a rubber or nylon belt without removing the buckle or other weights. It is great for freedivers who want to quickly add 2 lbs of lead to their belt when they move into shallower water and should slip onto a BP/W harness strap very easily.

MIW2-2T.jpg

2 Pound I Weight

Last edited:
they should, but you can find weight anywhere local since shipping it is quite expensive.

Personally I try to avoid wearing weight belts whenever possible and the 28lbs sounds quite excessive.

28lbs total
-1.5: Depending on the HP100, if Worthington, -3.5
-3 regulator system
-6 backplate
I personally would get weight plates if I was in that scenario, so -8 for those

Puts you at roughly -18. I know that without the weight plates I am able to dive a 7mm drysuit in the ocean with a steel tank and no extra lead. I don't dive dry with singles, but you can extrapolate. I can dive dry with a SS backplate and two steel tanks with no extra weight. Down to ice diving temperatures. I am fairly cold tolerant, but there was quite a bit of gas inside. One steel tank is -1.5, the bands are -4, crossbar and extra reg is another -4, so that's -10. With weight plates you might need a pair of 2's or 4's on the belt which is enough ditchable weight if you have both a wing failure and a suit flood to get up to the surface methinks. Personally I would try to get it so that I had all of the weight on the plate if at all possible and carry a lift bag if you are worried.

As far as weight belts the Mako belts are the best imho, but since I don't use them, I have a simple webbing one that lives in my dive bin just in case someone needs to borrow it

Personally I try to avoid wearing weight belts whenever possible and the 28lbs sounds quite excessive.

Personally I would try to get it so that I had all of the weight on the plate if at all possible and carry a lift bag if you are worried.

What he said.

I have the bolt-on weights for my DSS plate, so I haven't needed to use a weight belt in a long time. But, the weight belt I have is a standard waist buckle on a piece of extra 2" webbing I had left over after rigging up my BP with a new harness. The times I have used it, it has worked fine for me and I have never felt like I needed a rubber belt that would stretch.

The next time I fly with my gear, I may (just MAYBE) leave the bolt-on weight plates at home and just put trim weight pockets on my tank straps. I think I'm at a point where adding 8# with the bolt-on weight plates is actually excessive for me. Meaning, I think my increasing experience has resulted in me needing just a little less weight than I used to and my warm water wetsuit has crushed down some and is less buoyant than it used to be. I'm very confident I could dive my 3/2 suit and SS BP with an AL80 and be fine with only 6# additional weight, and I think I would be okay with only 4#. So, the 8# weight plates may now be a little more than I really want.

Also, if you want to put weight pockets on the waist belt of your BP/W, you can use these clips to keep them from sliding around.

Black Plastic {2 in | 5.1 cm} Webbing Lock Clip | Dive Gear Express®

They're only $0.50. If you order them, buy extras. If you ever have to take them off or try to move them, you'll probably just end up breaking them.

Back
Top Bottom