Ditching the poodle jacket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

InTheDrink

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I know this question has been asked ad infinitum, or variations on it, so see little reason why I shouldn't observe this long held tradition.

After a couple of years with my own kit I'm looking to move from my Mares Dragon BC to back inflate sytem. I tried a friends rig about a year ago and really liked the feeling of stability and in particular the crotch strap stopping the rig from riding up.

So now I'm looking to see what to buy. I usually impulse buy then regret so I thought I'd ask here first.

First question: what do I need?
With my dragon BC (integrated weights) I need just that one piece of kit.

For a BP/W rig it seems I need some or all of the following:
Back plate
Wing
Harness
Weight system

Is that correct and is there anything I'm missing?

Secondly, what makes/models would suit well for my kind of diving?
Generally 5mm diving (20-29C), occasionally 7mm (15C)
Single tank (usually steel)
40m max usually (altho potential for this to change)

I'm also very keen on right shoulder dump and right bum dump - I think that some rigs don't come with both so would be interested to hear about that.

I'm 5'9 and about 160 lbs.

Scanning this forum the freedom plate and oxycheq mach v wing seems a popular choice for the kind of diving I'm looking at. Seconds to this opinion? And if so, what harness works well with this setup? The oxycheq ones I guess would?

Any guidance appreciated.

Thanks,
John

Last edited:
I know this question has been asked ad infinitum

Yep, and lots of answers have been posted too

Back plate
Wing
Harness
Weight system

Is that correct and is there anything I'm missing?

Maybe a Single Tank Adapter as well

I'm also very keen on right shoulder dump and right bum dump

Why?

Back plate
Wing
Harness
Weight system

Ok backplate: with 7mm or 5mm probably a steel BP would suit you.

Wing: ~30lb lift wing is ok

Harness: do you want one-piece or comfort harness? Both can be bought as already made up but if you want a one-piece you can make it yourself. You are more likely to get a better fit that way (comfort harnesses don't necessarily fit perfect). One piece is a bit harder to get out of and can be more uncomfortable on land but it's cheap and easy to fix/fit/etc. Comfort have lots of nice padding + quick releases but yea this = additional failure points + more expense.

Weight system: seeing as a lot of your diving is travelling, you could just use a standard weight belt if you like... but a lot of BP/Ws can come with optional weight pockets

Single tank adaptor v cambands: Many styles of BP/W come with cam bands that thread through the harness so you don't need to have an STA. This is cheaper but if you move to double tanks, it takes longer to switch setups. STA can remove some more weight from your weight belt though as you can buy heavier ones.

With the dump valves, I don't think there are many that do right dump valves like you prefer (but maybe I'm wrong). But, yea I know what you mean about wanting them but you get used to dumping air on left side bum and just the power inflator after only a couple of dives and it means less things to fail. Horizontal position = left bottom valve. Vertical position = power inflator.

I have used and found the following brands fine: OMS (I have two OMS BP/W setups), Deep Sea Supply (if I got another BP/W it would be from here), Halycon (good quality but overpriced), Zeagle (cheap, but decent quality, heaps of friends have it and like it). Heard good things about Oxycheq too but never tried it personally.

STA can remove some more weight from your weight belt though as you can buy heavier ones

Just to clarify, using an STA removes weight from your weightbelt whether they're additionally weighted or not; they also move your tank further away from you, which can be both a positive (less likely to get hit in the head by you reg, easier to swap as you said) or a negative (higher profile)

Just to clarify, using an STA removes weight from your weightbelt whether they're additionally weighted or not;

I have seen some that are light and the difference is negligible.

Originally Posted by InTheDrink
I'm also very keen on right shoulder dump and right bum dump

Why?

Dunno, I just like to use bum dump when horizontal in the water and right shoulder dump to descend from surface. I usually tuck my inflator under my chest straps to keep it out of the way. And never liked the fact that the inflator does two opposite things so only use it to inflate.

I'm also very keen on right shoulder dump and right bum dump - I think that some rigs don't come with both so would be interested to hear about that.
Tortuga68:
InTheDrink:
Dunno, I just like to use bum dump when horizontal in the water and right shoulder dump to descend from surface.
I think the 'Why' question may have been more focused on your stipulation of RIGHT side dumps, as opposed to the more common LEFT side dumps. Why specifically RIGHT side? Having both a shoulder and bottom dump is common, but on the left side.

Hi Sas,

Just in the process of emailing you - my week has got better so actually have time to do something not high blood pressure inducing...

Re: comfort harness... hmmm... one thing I really like about the dragon (maybe only thing) is the back cushion. Prior to this with rental BCs my back would be in agony at the end of a dive (guess the integrated weights help here too) so my natural inclination would be towards comfort, assuming it would be easier on my lower back than the one-piece???

Re: STA - the Oxycheq harness I'm looking at (below) doesn't need an STA. Not sure whether this is a good thing or a bad thing....

So, in my infinite laziness, in addition to a freedom plate, here is my current wish list... anything missing? Any thoughts on pockets? I'm kinda partial to them - is one enough?

Oxycheq Mach V Signature Series
Oxycheq Deluxe Adjustable Harness System
Oxycheq Crotch Strap
Oxycheq Medium Weight Pocket
Oxycheq X-Pocket
Freedom plate

Would this cover most of the bases?

And what's the best way to get sized? I'm not going to have the opportunity to try anything on :-(

Thanks again!

J

I forget just how much fun shopping can be... never like this when I'm with the missus... :)

I have seen some that are light and the difference is negligible

It's true that some are light, but there is a difference nonetheless; so it means less weight is required

Dunno, I just like to use bum dump when horizontal in the water and right shoulder dump to descend from surface. I usually tuck my inflator under my chest straps to keep it out of the way. And never liked the fact that the inflator does two opposite things so only use it to inflate

There's no reason why you can't do the same with left inflator/dump rigs. I only use my inflator for inflating too, operated by my right hand across my chest, and dump from the OPV with my left hand

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom