Dive gods: How well do you clean your gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Liveaboard in the Red Sea for a week without rinsing and everything still works fine. Stopped worrying when I got home.

The sunlight and warmth and nutrients combine to grow a nice culture of the green nasties. I'd rather not let the bacterial colonies form in my gear so I rinse it well with the filtered rain water that we live on around here
In the regs maybe. But surely you don't need to clean your fins?

Plus, once they dry, it's highly unlikely any water-stuff will live on.

My assistants rinse my equipment for me, I am usually taking a shower when it is being rinsed.
I certainly hope you take good care of the little people around you.

My assistants rinse my equipment for me
I tried to get my kids to rinse mine. Unfortunately, I had told them earlier that every diver is responsible for their own gear.

I can't remember the last time I rinsed my gear. However, I do alternate between oceans and springs. A two or three hour soak in a spring and all is good. :D :D :D

FWIW, there are no 'dive gods'. We might be legends in our own minds, but that's about it.

I almost never rinse my gear. Fresh water is scarce out here, especially during the last four years of drought.

I'm very fastidious about my gear. I frequently work in contaminated water, so thoroughly cleaning my gear is just a part of my dive routine. Pop the covers off the regs and open the weight pockets type of thorough. I don't care how it looks, I just need to know that at any point it is in perfect operating status at a moments notice and that everything is exactly where it's supposed to be. Grab and go.

I go "1950's housewife" on rental gear, and clean my own gear like I am polishing the silver. Could be left over adrenaline from the dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom