Diver Training, Has It Really Been Watered Down???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wish it would be required to 100 feet, as that's the assumption of AOW certification. Completely agree on additional skills.
There are many places in the world where you cannot get 100 feet. Where I live in Colorado, we have no such place in reasonable distance. There is a site about 6-7 hours away in Utah where we can get to 65 feet. There is a place in New Mexico another 6-7 hours away where you can get to 85 feet if you hold your computer down in a depression. There is another place in New Mexico where you can get all the way to 276 (the deepest I have found there so far), but you cannot get entry to it unless you already have AOW.

There are many places in the world where you cannot get 100 feet. Where I live in Colorado, we have no such place in reasonable distance. There is a site about 6-7 hours away in Utah where we can get to 65 feet. There is a place in New Mexico another 6-7 hours away where you can get to 85 feet if you hold your computer down in a depression. There is another place in New Mexico where you can get all the way to 276 (the deepest I have found there so far), but you cannot get entry to it unless you already have AOW.
Solution: FL Real Estate - Florida Homes For Sale | Zillow

There are many places in the world where you cannot get 100 feet. .

I understand that, but I don’t feel that’s an excuse. Students would have to travel somewhere. Simple as that. That may not be an answer that people like, but if you are certified to 100 feet, you should have been to 100 feet or it explicitly states so in your certification (card AND the online lookup).

PSAI training promotes the idea that the student will have been trained within 10 feet of the depth limit of the C-card.

PSAI training promotes the idea that the student will have been trained within 10 feet of the depth limit of the C-card.
That's fair.

I understand that, but I don’t feel that’s an excuse. Students would have to travel somewhere. Simple as that. That may not be an answer that people like, but if you are certified to 100 feet, you should have been to 100 feet or it explicitly states so in your certification (card AND the online lookup).
I would guess a majority of experienced divers would agree with you on the 100 feet. I believe I do. But I also think that to be certified to 60' as OW you should go to 60' at least once, and we know that almost never happens (at least at shops I know in Canada & U.S.). I also believe student drivers should be taken on a stretch of 65 mph busy Interstate (where most go 75 and half use directionals) before getting licensed to drive there, as opposed to city streets and parallel parking (think the last time I did that was, well, I can't recall). All these would be in a perfect world.

Back
Top Bottom