Donning weight belt with crotch strap.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can also wear the weight belt with the back over the crotch strap and the front under the crotch strap. That helps prevent accidental opening of the buckle yet permits you to drop it easily if you should have to.

Thanks all. Good thoughts.

As is the case with a lot of gear configuration issues there is no one answer for everyone.

But, after the feedback and some thought, I think putting the crotch strap on the outside will work best for me. The risk of accidentally losing the weight belt is real. In fact, I was diving years ago with a buddy whose belt buckle was pulled open by a strand of kelp. He went shooting to the surface- very bad. He didn't get DSC thankfully, probably because we had just started the dive and had pretty much 0 nitrogen built up.

Also, being non-DIR, my crotch strap has a nylon buckle quick release in front. If I really have to ditch the weight belt and it's hung up, then I can pop the quick release on the crotch strap.

I also dive the TPII with crotch strap, and have found it easier, and just as safe as long as you practice, to wear teh weight belt UNDER the crotch strap. Make sure your buddy is aware of thsi configuration as well in case they are the one's 'ditching' your belt in an emergency...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom