Dry gloves in DIR/GUE world....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do apologize, I see that Tom showed all the gloves he has and since I was more interested in the Glove lock of SI tech, I missed the discussion on the gloves.

I have the 495 with yellow liner and it fits just sweet, haven't dove it yet but I love the feeling and the rings do not bother me one bit, I have zip zeals and many divers have complained about the location of where the ring rests against the wrist.

So far, just an awesome feeling and I'm going to be diving Sat and Sun and will report back on the efficacy of the 495 Showa.

The 660's look nice but I have to try out what I have and move forward to the other styles if need be.

Here are the stats on the 660:

660 Oil Resistant

• Seamless fine cotton liner.
  • PVC dipped.
  • Three lengths: 30, 40, 36 cm.
  • Suitable for contact with foods.
  • Special treatment against hydrocarbon.
  • Available 481 Vinylove Fleece.
  • PVC dipped cotton liner.
  • A range of waterproof, supple and comfortable gloves, manufactured using a patented process that involves dipping a fine knit. Their performance and longevity are improved by a special hydrocarbon treatment. The cotton liner is both soft and comfortable. PVC, the material that is known to offer the greatest resistance to oils and chemicals (hydrochloric acid, caustic soda and kerosene in particular), does not cause allergies. It provides maximum resistance to abrasion (level 4), which is reinforced by a rough finish on the hand that allows objects to be gripped securely. Each model is designed for a different application.
  • Designed for intensive use, with wrist protection (650) or three lengths of forearm protecting (660).
  • Design Features
  • The seamless, antibacterial treated knit prevents irritation.
  • The glove’s anatomical shape facilitates movement.
  • Can be washed at 40°C using a neutral detergent.
  • Glove Applications
  • ... building and public works, drilling and boring, fisheries, fishing, fuel transport and delivery, hydrocarbon refining, mechanics, oilrigs...

Very easy to install on a DUI CLX450 w/zipzeals...

uvg2p.jpg

11778r4.jpg

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions, and don't worry about my fundies money, I set that aside a long time ago when I frist decided to go down this road... :)

I got to try out my new gloves on Saturday. What I realized was quite amazing; the gloves handle really nice in the water and give you the comfort of your hands on the shore.

As I entered the water from shore, there were quite some waves coming in, usually I'm use to it being very calm. I entered with caution and as I attempted to put on my first fin I was amazed.

It slid on faster than expected, a result of the smurf glove being thinner than my compressed neoprene glove. I usually don't have that much feeling with the compressed glove so I have to pull back hard with the spring.

With the smurf glove I didn't have to pull back that much, my dexterity was much more tune to my senses.

Wow, both fins go on faster, and I start kicking out. I then notice the gloves are not as warm as my compressed gloves, they are warm but I can feel the difference in 55 degrees of water, the compressed gloves are slightly warmer, not too much of a difference.

Then my dive partner needs assistance; his mask strap falls apart and he decides to abort the dive back to shore.

I tell him to hold up that I have a back up mask in my bellows pocket, this is where my hands go in like a charm and pull out the mask with the strap. The dive is saved and we proceed to our dive location and make our dive.

I have pulled out my mask and wetnotes with my compressed glove without a problem but it's much easier with the smurf blues.

The compression on the gloves wasn't that noticable because I only went down to 40 feet without any problems, however, I did use the supplied silicone tube the gloves ship with.

The tube is very long and very comfortable, and before the dive I tested them by sucking out air prior to placing the tube against my wrist and glove. The air came right out so I new I fixed them correctly down my writst, takes a little practice in the beginning but easy once you do them once.

When I got out of the water I tried twisting the gloves off, but I couldn't get them turned, they were stuck. I could hear sand grains in the rings, I walk over to the shower and squirt some fresh water on the rings and then both rings turn like a charm.

I later lubed them again with the supplied lube that SI tech gives you, and later didn't have this problem.

They only complaint I had was two:

1. The rings slightly push up against my thumbs since my suit was not custom made I feel I have longer sleeves. It bothers me since my compressed gloves are super soft with no rings.

The rings don't bother me while on my dive, only during the surface interval I can tolerate it for the benefit of not having to pull off have the suit.

2. Because the rings are large I had a problem how my 21 watt Explorer light head rests on my arm. As I deployed it and shifted it to my left hand I noticed that the ballast was colliding with the ring, so in other words the light does not sit flush on your arm like it does with wet gloves or my compressed gloves.

I had to hold the light slighlty at a different angle, I quickly adapted to the new angle and was soon content, but it is worth mentioning for others to know.

Overall,

I was impressed with having the luxury of both gloves in case I want to dive one over the other, they can quickly be placed on my suit because of the zip seals.

MG

Has anyone every had a problem with these rings creating more length on the sleeves?

I have a medium stock size drysuit, and had two inches cut off each sleeve and the suit was just right. But when the rings went on, you can clearly see from the picture above how much more length it gives back to the sleeves.

Has anyone been able to correct this problem?

MG

You just learn to deal with it. The gloves will hold the rings back when you're underwater. When you're diving with a heavier undergarment, you can slide the sleeve of the DS up as far as you can and it will just stay there. With a thinner undergarment, the sleeves don't stay up as well.

I've become so used to the rings, they don't get in the way anymore except when I try to reach back for my Butt D-Ring.

Tom

Also, as an aside, another huge advantage to using blue smurf gloves is that it's very visible to your buddies when you make hand signals! I sometimes see my buddies do a handsignal only to have it obscured by the black gloves and the darker environment.

They then have to shine their light onto their hands for me to see their signals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom