Dry gloves in DIR/GUE world....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let me just make sure I have this straight? You have perfectly functional gloves already, right? Now you could spend almost $200 on more gloves or put that money toward a Fundamentals/Essentials class (about half the cost). Hmmmm.

Let me just make sure I have this straight? You have perfectly functional gloves already, right? Now you could spend almost $200 on more gloves or put that money toward a Fundamentals/Essentials class (about half the cost). Hmmmm.

Let me add a vote for putting that money toward Fundies/Essentials. You have a front zip suit (I think I read that), so it should be easy enough to unzip and wear your suit half way on the surface interval....I would rather spend the money to further my dive training than buying an extra set of dry gloves.

I only paid $85 for my ring kit:

Viking Bayonet Dry Glove Ring Kits

Looks like the prices might be in flux though...PM Bob3 for a quote.

You know you're going to buy them eventually anyway, so why not now?

I got a pair of brand new blue smurf gloves for free with liners size Medium, so all I need are the rings which are on sale at the LDS...

Nice to have a pair of different gloves for different diving....

P.S
I have a quick question, even though I got them free, what is the difference between the "Blue Smurf" / Showa / Atlas 495, and the SI tech blue Smurf gloves?

For all I can tell Atlas and Showa are pretty much the same thing, but the scuba industry is the only one using the term Showa anymore. Blue Smurf is the nickname for them, and 495 is the model number for blue triple dipped gloves that are sized to fit with a heavy liner beneath them. The 660 model is the same glove, sized smaller to fit without a liner. Because divers want a tighter fit than someone packing fish in ice, the 660 model is usually preferred among divers.

Tom

For all I can tell Atlas and Showa are pretty much the same thing, but the scuba industry is the only one using the term Showa anymore. Blue Smurf is the nickname for them, and 495 is the model number for blue triple dipped gloves that are sized to fit with a heavy liner beneath them. The 660 model is the same glove, sized smaller to fit without a liner. Because divers want a tighter fit than someone packing fish in ice, the 660 model is usually preferred among divers.

Tom[/QUOTE
Tom,

My glove says:

SHOWA
NO . 495 8/M

So if I am understanding you correctly this is not a Atlas glove? I have found these model very cheap online with the liner included, $16.95.

It's amazing that some scuba websites sell this same glove for as much as $50 dollars, what is going on?

So is the SI tech glove a different glove altogether? Are they the same, someone told me that they are softer than the Atlas and now there is SHOWA as well? I have gotten confused. :confused:

Does anyone know if they are the same glove with just three different names imprinted on the outside of the glove trying to taking credit for an indentical glove?

Thanks,

MG

Who cares? They're all basically the same. [P.S. They all suck compared to the 660s. :wink:]

Tom[/QUOTE
Tom,

My glove says:

SHOWA
NO . 495 8/M

So if I am understanding you correctly this is not a Atlas glove? I have found these model very cheap online with the liner included, $16.95.

It's amazing that some scuba websites sell this same glove for as much as $50 dollars, what is going on?

So is the SI tech glove a different glove altogether? Are they the same, someone told me that they are softer than the Atlas and now there is SHOWA as well? I have gotten confused. :confused:

Does anyone know if they are the same glove with just three different names imprinted on the outside of the glove trying to taking credit for an indentical glove?

Thanks,

MG

You're making all of this way to hard for a $4 purchase. Order a few different pair from a commercial fishing supply house and try them out. FYI the big yellow liners suck. They are to long and get stuck in-between the rings when trying to put the gloves on and seal them to the suit. Also don't order the gloves with "built in" fuzzy yellow liner. They take forever to dry if they get wet.

Too big (you'll clip your fingers into all your snaps), they end up smelling like *****, take forever to dry if flooded, you'll want to use your own liners/under gloves anyway (for better warmth, fit, dexterity, etc), and they cost significantly more. That's about it...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom