Fin selection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a big fan of the Mares Avanti Quattro (used them for 20 years) before that I had a pair of Scubapro Seawings (the original ones from the 90's), nowadays when diving dry I use a pair of Mares Power Plana and while diving wet Force Fin Pro, and while at the swimming pool Mares Avanti Tre. All very different, each with advantages and drawbacks.

My 2 cents on the subject : remember fin choice is very personal matter. It depends on the kind of dives you're interested in, your budget, your dislikes (some divers cannot stand split fin or open heels), your level of practise and experience, and your physical aptitudes. I think what would be best after collecting info on the subject, is a try out in a pool, or best at sea. Try to borrow some fins from your buddies.

Here's an example : 3 years ago, a lady friend, asked my help to choose a pair. She was a beginner, had been certified the year before, and had less than 20 dives. She's about 5ft05 and very thin. I'm about 6ft04 and 200 pounds, with almost 3 decades of diving at that time.

The guy at the LDS suggested a pair of Mares Avanti Quattro, immediately, saying, those are the best. He was an instructor, as tall as I, but with a lighter frame. I gave him the 'are you serious man ?' look for a sec, then it put them back and saying : best for me at least... Then he started chatting with her to suggest something more in accordance with her needs.

Most sites I'm looking to dive are warm-tropical water. I've been reading a lot and watching video reviews and have taken interest in 3 fins: Scuba pro seawing nova, Mares avanti quattro, and Tusa hyflex switch. I am, of course, open to suggestion.

The best fins are the ones that fit best. The problem is you usually can't take them for a test dive before you buy.

Oceanic Accel is another popular travel fin, Go's main competitor.

I don't know why but Quattro's caused me leg cramps every single dive.

And they're super hard to get off for me.

One of the main reasons I started looking for different kinds of fins to sort out the cramps.

A lot of SSI shops recommend Quattro's, but shop and try around.

Until I didn't try the Scubapro GO, it was an instant click first time w/o leg cramps.

Close second was for me Apeks fins, but they were too pricy IMHO.

I don't know why but Quattro's caused me leg cramps every single dive.

One of the main reasons I started looking for different kinds of fins to sort out the cramps.

A lot of SSI shops recommend Quattro's, but shop and try around.

My point exactly, I did love those fins, but many friends couldn't stand them : cramping. One ought really to be able to try fins before buying some.

There is no worst feeling when you're in any part of your dive, and you start feeling that your leg is not working.

I tried a dive in a not so favorable weather in Monterey, and had to bail since I got a cram my calf 10 minutes into the dive because of rental quattro's.

Poke a hole in the toe to let air in when you're pulling them off. That's what I need to do to my ARAs, too.

Go versus Go Sport, there is a difference!

If my memory serves me correctly, the Go fin came out last year and Go Sport came out this year, There was a significant price increase with the Go Sport.... which has two little colored fin inserts. I tried the Go fin last year and thought it lacked any power.... might be good for drift diving. Both fins look very similar, but it’s my understanding the Go Sport is significantly bigger (for a given size), which likely delivers more power.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom