Force Fins - my experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been using Force FIins since their inception and LOVE them. They are small and easy to pack but mostly they do the kicking for you. Better below than on the surface.

For any information on becoming a Force Fin retailer Please PM me or Send an e-mail to info@forcefin.com

=================================

Not in a position to be a retailer ...but I'd love to be a Force Fin gear tester !!

Seriously ...

I just received my Force Fin Heel Strap Replacement Kit. Have read over the instructions and attempted to remove the original Nylon Strap but have been unable to break th locktite seal. The screw and brass bushing just spin together.

Instructions indicate that I should hit the the screw and bushing but not the screw head, using a hammer and the end of a screwdriver. Have attempted that maneuver but can get the screw to come loose. Have attemped to secure the bushing using a needle nose pliers but still I can not get the screw to come loose.

What other things can I try to get the old straps off ??? Any suggestions from other Force Fin owners who have replaced the original nylon straps with the bunge cord replacent kit ??

Thanks in advance ...

Mark J

I had a great talk with Bob Evans yesterday. Hopefully we will get here in Florida in the next month or so. Details as they become clear!

I just received my Force Fin Heel Strap Replacement Kit. Have read over the instructions and attempted to remove the original Nylon Strap but have been unable to break th locktite seal. The screw and brass bushing just spin together.

Instructions indicate that I should hit the the screw and bushing but not the screw head, using a hammer and the end of a screwdriver. Have attempted that maneuver but can get the screw to come loose. Have attemped to secure the bushing using a needle nose pliers but still I can not get the screw to come loose.

What other things can I try to get the old straps off ??? Any suggestions from other Force Fin owners who have replaced the original nylon straps with the bunge cord replacent kit ??

Thanks in advance ...

Mark J
==========================================================

OK ... check the above thread. I huffed and I puffed and I finally CUT the darned things off - - literally. No damage to the fins but not the way I'd recommend anyone else going about it.

No matter what I tried I could not get the screws to back out of the brass bushings. So, I got creative and grabbed for the hacksaw. Now I know that could have been disaterous, but it just so happens I'm better with a hacksaw than I am with things that try my patience.

So, here I sit with brand spanking new bungee heel straps on my Force Fins. Imagine that !! Can't wait to try them out. Next dive trip is in May. Might have to jump in a pool in the meantime just to try them out.

Oh yeah, and I haven't applied any Loctite to the new screws ...YET !!

MJ

Concerning changing out the Straps:
Your best bet is to take vice grips and adjust them so you can clamp down on the bushing on the inside of the foot pocket to the outside of the foot pocket. Take you time getting the right adjustment as you will want to squeeze the bushing hard enough to the foot pocket to stop the bushing from turning, but light enough so you are not completely squeezing the foot pocket and marking the material. Once you have found this adjustment use the allen key and break the tension of the lock tight. Use all new bushings and screws with a drop of lock tight and you should be set. Let me know how this works.

I agree with the vice-grips Blair.
To add to that, I have used a pointed end soldering iron and carefully applied a bit of heat to the bushing (careful not to heat the fin) this helps break the loc-tite and makes turning the allen key key stud easier.
Good luck!
I have to say my bungies lasted twice as long as my Sherwood Spintas did. So it is well worth the effort of changing them out.:)

Great discussion here and I cannot pass up the opportunity to add my 2 cents. As a public safety diver Force Fins are the choice for me. I have not found a more comfortable, more effective or more reliable fin. I have used them in so many different situations from open, ice and current diving they have never let me down. In my opinin they are well worth the investment.

Mark D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom