Friday Night Norte

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Norte's if strong enough like now - result in small craft advisories - which means no boating or aquatic activity. The diving is fine, but boating and getting on and off the boat can be dangerous -

I dove once in Xcalak when the boat was going up and down 6 feet while trying to get on. Not as much fun as you might think.

I know what a norte is, but what does it do to boats and diving conditions? Is it more than just making it difficult for the captains to follow the bubbles?
Please forgive any and all sarcasm/know-it-all-comments. I was at a party earlier today oceanside and it was pretty cold outside and I sure as HECK wouldn't have wanted to be in the water. Nortes make it really, really difficult for boats to pull up to piers, make it very difficult to get on and off boats (both in water and from a pier) and can make boats more prone to sinking, depending on lots of other variables. The current port captain is very risk adverse but the current conditions warrant port closure. Plus it's cold as can be if you happen to be on the boat... Better to spend the day enjoying yourself in non-aquatic activities.

I know what a norte is, but what does it do to boats and diving conditions? Is it more than just making it difficult for the captains to follow the bubbles?
My understanding that in Cozumel it is a factor of wind direction and strength. Typical winds keep the waves down on the west side and produce waves on the wild side (east). When nortes blow these conditions are reversed with higher waves on the west side and calmer conditions on the east side. This is why Aldora will occasionally move their boats to dive the east side during a norte.

Some divers from other locales may not understand why “sporty seas” may shut down diving when they may be accustomed to diving in these conditions at home. I was one of them. But I learned that the typical dive boat in Cozumal (panga) is not designed for sporty seas.

Last edited:
OK... While in Belize, my buddies and I dove in 15'+ seas to see whale sharks. My dive buddy got sea sick at his safety stop and blew chunks while pulling out his regulator. He didn't know the reg was made to pass the "chunks". Now, this obviously wasn't on a panga, but it was still interesting getting out of the water. My other buddy got a good wound on his shin from the ladder coming up fast.

I have only ever dove with one company in COZ. I could understand where they might have a problem with sea heights. I thought other companies might have "bigger" boats.

Today seems to be a pretty definite no go. Wind guru has me concerned about tomorrow as well and then it looks like one day of salvation before another Norte blows through on Thursday!?! :fear:

Today seems to be a pretty definite no go. Wind guru has me concerned about tomorrow as well and then it looks like one day of salvation before another Norte blows through on Thursday!?! :fear:
Hopefully on Thursday it will remain enough easterly to keep the port open.
upload_2018-1-14_7-19-47.png

kinda glad I blew off coming down this weekend, hopefully next weekend (Monday the 22nd) remains OK.

Yeah. I just bailed on this week. I think I'm catching the flu so regardless of my concern about the wind, I was going to be on the shore for the next few days (if not the full week) anyway. Hopefully I'll get down there in April

Last edited:
I salvaged what I could today and got on 7AM ferry and did 2 tanks in Playa. Not Cozumel but much better than anything at home.

W
I salvaged what I could today and got on 7AM ferry and did 2 tanks in Playa. Not Cozumel but much better than anything at home.
Streydog, do you have any recommendations for diving out of Playa? Monday and Tuesday look promising in Cozumel. Wednesday is iffy.
My buddy and I are at the Blue Angel till Saturday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom