Good BP/W for travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tobin's Composite Kydex Backplate is WAY AWESOME and I use it a LOT. His ad is at the top of this page but I bought and used the Kydex backplate way BEFORE he started advertising here. In fact, it is SO STRONG that I use it with my doubles all the time! I also love the camo wings he made. They are perfect with a steel 120 or an al80! BTW, who needs black all the time? :D I like a little fun when I dive! :D

Thomjinx,

That's a tough question and even SB Staff have their preferences LOL!

Honestly, the Seaquest Passport would be lighter than any BP/W combo but a BP/W will pack up smaller and more importantly dry faster than a regular bc.

Basically from what you just described, you need a light bc that packs small, dries quickly and has sufficient lift.

Unless you are really set on getting a BP/W, the passport is fine. Otherwise, jagfish or NetDoc's advice is on the money.

Being a warm water diver and I mostly travel to dive I really need a light setup that travels well. I would personally go for jagfish's advice although going that route would require that you get a sta as the Mach V wing requires it.

Cheers,

SangP

I took my DR Transplate with the aluminum BP and Oxycheq regular wing to Coz. Very light and packs easily, especially with the Oxy regular (not signature) wing.

As great as the Mach V is, I don't know that I would recommend it for the ultimate travel wing for warm water. There's no wing like it in the water but it just doesn't fold up small enough to merit that "ultimate travel wing" designation.

Personally, I would suggest one of the small Oxycheq Razor wings... like the 18# lift wing. I use an old Halcyon Pioneer 18# Batwing but they don't make those little wings anymore. (These were of excellent quality and can still be found in the gear for sale forum.)

As far as a plate is concerned, I think that an Al plate would be best. Add to that a simple Hog harness and maybe a lightweight STA and you would have an extremely light rig that would pack up about as small as anything.

For single tank tropical diving, what advantages does a backplate have over softpac bc's like the Transpac, IQ, O-Pac, etc. ?

I travel with a Zeagle, and SS backplate. Any BP/W should take less space than a BC and the weight is not an issue. If I was not using a 3mm suit, then I would go with aluminum.

My BC actually takes more space and is about the same weight with a plastic back (Mares limited) - Also the shape is easier to pack with a BP/W.

Which one is a very personal choice - any would work well.

I travel with a DR SS plate, Venture wing, and plain harness. Packs up very small.

Back
Top Bottom