Good BP/W for travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The choice of aluminum (or plastic) vs steel plate should be made based on how much weight you need for the exposure suit you'll be using, not so much on ease of travel, IMO. For me, I'm neutral in sea water with my steel plate, AL80, and a 3mm shorty; perfect for tropical dive trips. Unless you'll be overweighted with your set up using a steel plate, the advantage of having your weight on your back sandwiched between your lungs and the wing is pretty significant.

Just got back from a long weekend at Cayman. Traveled with a small carry on duffle and a back pack. Reg bag and SS back plate went in the back pack along with swim suit, a couple of tee shirts and toiletries. Full foot fins, rolled up 30 lb wing, mask, shorty wet suit, colthes and misc other things went in the duffle. Cusoms was a breeze at both ends with no waiting for checked baggage to arrive. Nearly ideal for travel. SS plate weight is not an issue to carry in the back pack (AL saves 3 lbs or so) and it eliminates weight belt/pocket hassles when diving with a light wet suit.

I bought the Aeris Reefriuder, like it a lot. About 6.5 lbs weight, packs decently for travel.

Look at Halcyon Eclipse with Alu backplate. Very light, ultra compact, but good amount of lift.
www.halcyon.net
A.

Lots of great suggestions! Thanks so much, everyone!
I understand the normal advantages of a SS backplate.
But for me, when traveling at least, every pound counts. As bad as the new 50 lb. limit is on most airlines, that's not the problem. I love to dive in Thailand and the Philippines and other places in SE Asia. Getting to say, Bangkok or Manila, I am allowed 50 lbs. BUT, the small domestic flights from there to a dive spot usually allow me 15 kilos! Anything over that is charged extra, or even sent on a later flight.
So with that as my target, the difference between a SS backplate and an aluminum or composite (or even non-bp rear inflate) is significant. Yes, I will have to wear more weight in my BC or on a belt, but I don't have to travel with that weight!
Flying to Cozumel, or Bonaire, or somewhere that I don't have to take a smaller plane, weight is not as critical, but for many of my trips, every little bit counts.

Thanks again all for all of the great advice!
Thomjinx,

off to SE Asia in 9 days! Wooohoooo!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom