Good Dry Glove options other than Waterproof Ultima?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sitting here getting over a second bout of the covid rather than diving as planned, I thought let‘s play the divers “what if” game, it like the deep fear of plastic clips but in case lets say in non elastic material like aluminum. If something (as highly unlikely as it is) we’re to fall against or possibly banged against something, how out of round can a KUBI be and still work?

Kubi can be a good option if you’re buying a new suit and have them installed then but if someone already has the QCS inner rings there are also great options, for me it’s the RoLock. I keep the gloves on when packing and transporting the suit, only locked part way, I don’t take the glove off until I’m ready to put the top of the suit on.

Strange. My Kubi's have done hundreds of dives in seawater and never been rinsed -- unless diving in fresh water. Unlike far more expensive torches that rot and corrode.

Kubi's just work. Seem to be the most popular glove system on the boats I dive off of.

Changing gloves is trivially easy and done within a minute. Can even change your drysuit seals in a couple of minutes -- no fiddle nor faff.

Other rings are available but some of those don't work very well.
I don't understand your point? I'm saying those 3 work. Pros and cons to each. I'd love to try a set of Kubis but I'm cheap so Rolock it is.

The point of dry gloves is to stay dry. In that regard all 3 work brilliantly, just have to figure out the pros and cons and decide for yourself.

I keep the gloves on when packing and transporting the suit, only locked part way, I don’t take the glove off until I’m ready to put the top of the suit on.

I've started doing this too.. seems to help keep debris out of the seal and less maintenance

Sorry to hear about your covid, hope you feel better!

I've started doing this too.. seems to help keep debris out of the seal and less maintenance

Sorry to hear about your covid, hope you feel better!
It was one of the first things I noticed and liked about the RoLock, snap the glove on with the waterproof and you’ll play hell with getting the glove off, RoLock is less bulky too, KUBI will be less bulky too since the is an inherent strength of metal.

+1 for Kubi's

I have at least 130 dives with "just" plastic rings and have never had a leak that wasn't my fault.
I believe the only user error that would cause a leak with Kubi is to not put your give system on. A single press seats the right and you're done.
I'd love to try a set of Kubis but I'm cheap so Rolock it is.
If having a suit made that is the time to get Kubi's. My compete system was $230. $110 for the suit side and $120 for the glove side of the system. I've got friends that paid more than that for just glove side systems.

+1 for Kubi's

I believe the only user error that would cause a leak with Kubi is to not put your give system on. A single press seats the right and you're done.

If having a suit made that is the time to get Kubi's. My compete system was $230. $110 for the suit side and $120 for the glove side of the system. I've got friends that paid more than that for just glove side systems.
My only leaks with any system have been small fibers stuck in the face of the seal. It's happened maybe 3 times. And it's never wet, more like a little damp

I managed to get the laundry instructions tag for my inner glove stuck in the seal when diving during the weekend. Was on the "far side" of the arm that's not visible to me when diving... It has since been removed.

:facepalm:

Another related question...

What do you use for the seal break on your drygloves? (To allow air from your suit in/out of the dryglove)

I use a 10cm/4" piece of 2mm/ 1/16" string that's NOT heat sealed (e.g. frayed) at each end (if it's sealed it's bloody uncomfortable as the nylon dagger digs into your skin, frayed is comfy). At either end of the string I have a figure-of-eight knot.
==8========================8==

This gets stuffed under the cuff (the 'inner' knot helps to push it in), the 'outer' knot keeps it outside of the cuff. Theory is if you shred the glove, you can pull it off and grab the seal string knot and pull it out, thus sealing your arm.

Literally any piece of string will do. I've found that slightly thicker than cave line is best. Could even use a piece of bungee.

Another related question...

What do you use for the seal break on your drygloves? (To allow air from your suit in/out of the dryglove)

I use a 10cm/4" piece of 2mm/ 1/16" string that's NOT heat sealed (e.g. frayed) at each end (if it's sealed it's bloody uncomfortable as the nylon dagger digs into your skin, frayed is comfy). At either end of the string I have a figure-of-eight knot.
==8========================8==

This gets stuffed under the cuff (the 'inner' knot helps to push it in), the 'outer' knot keeps it outside of the cuff. Theory is if you shred the glove, you can pull it off and grab the seal string knot and pull it out, thus sealing your arm.

Literally any piece of string will do. I've found that slightly thicker than cave line is best. Could even use a piece of bungee.
I trim my seals so they are borderline to loose and usually pull a bit of the base or the thumb tab under the seal.

I cut my seals back to the suit ring, so essentially I'm diving without seals. It's easier to get the suit on and off, and the only leaks I've had were from a hole in the glove. Fortunately, that's only happened once in the past few years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom