Good Dry Glove options other than Waterproof Ultima?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Resilience, insulation, dexterity. Pick any two.

The G17K gloves (black outside, white inside) are the standard ones included with Kubis and other glove rings. These have good dexterity but need to be checked by holding the ring and inflating the glove and listening for leaks before every dive.

The thick textured gloves remove most of your feeling and thus dexterity. But they’re warmer and more resistant to penetration or tearing.

I've heard of one bad outcome from what seemed like a minor suit leak (I can't remember the location of the leak). All I know is being cold for any reason is a totally different ballgame for people doing huge runtime 80m+ dives compared to my little no-deco 30-35m bimbles where I could go from having an issue to being in the wheelhouse in 10-15 minutes or so. And that changes the maths on whether keeping the seals is worth it or not.
I dive with wet gloves so no dog in this fight, but I do have a seaskin with SiTech rings so I'm always thinking about upgrading to one of those compatible systems.

I am (or at least was) of the same mindset. I absolutely agree that having a catastrophic suit failure in freezing cold water with an extended deco commitment would be zero fun. But I don't think that should stop me from having way more warmth on the 99.999% of dives in the .0001% chance that that failure could be from the gloves. On the contrary, warmer hands I believe would actually be safer (better circulation, better able to feel what tf I'm actually touching, lol).

Of the few accounts of people that I've talked to that had a catastrophic failure in that situation they have said it was more annoying than life threatening. They have stated they'll still dive without seals.

I know this goes against the grain a little, but to me it's a lot like the isolation valve. On paper it makes perfect sense. Irl it doesn't.

And who knows, I'm always subject to change my perception as I grow.

Just for reference I dive Refrigiware wool liners, showa 720's, in 39-42f water and 60-80 min run times with light deco (10-15 min or so).

My full glove tear was on an awful dive with lousy visibility at 45m/150ft in a current in cold water 7C/44F. I caught the G17K Marigold glove on the wreck and it tore a 5cm/2 inch slash from the palm into a finger.

Stupidly I’d put a thumb loop around my thumb which was leaking into my suit. Had to remove the glove and get the loop over my thumb which was difficult due to the other hand being in a glove. Eventually managed to do that and stop the leak. Replaced the shredded glove as there’s some insulation despite the slash. Had a sopping wet arm and could feel it on my chest.

Ended the dive and started the ascent and ran the 25 mins of deco. Was cold but not dangerously so. Glad to get out of the soggy dive kit and have a cup of tea.

Had I chosen to dive without cuff seals my suit would have been completely flooded. Aside from hypothermia, this would have affected the decompression as my body constricted blood flow to the limbs, risking a bend. In other words a significant risk to my life.

As it was, the partial flood was annoying but not serious.

With wrist seals, I’ve the option of removing a glove underwater for whatever reason. Of course it would flood the glove, but not the suit.

Appreciate the account. Aren't Merigolds like paper thin though? Like taking a knife to a gun fight?

I've had a hole in a glove twice. I can't count the number of suit leaks I've had. I'll stick with no seals for the ease of use.

I've had a hole in a glove twice. I can't count the number of suit leaks I've had. I'll stick with no seals for the ease of use.
The pros outweigh the cons by a long shot (to me).

I've gotten a few pin holes, they're annoying. I pinch them with my fingers and make my way back to the boat.

I wear the same gloves as you (I think) I just can't imagine anything being able to tear them wide open without deliberate force.

I prefer the G17K gloves which are the "standard" weight gloves supplied by Kubi. These are pretty resilient but be careful as they will be breached on sharp objects. There's a lot of feeling, for example boltsnaps and line laying. Buy them as a box of 10 for next to nothing; turn them inside out for the white hand, or leave them as black if you hate people seeing your hand signals.

The thick heavyweight textured gloves are good for winter and considerably warmer. However, it's hard to feel with your fingers, e.g. clips, dumps, anything that's not muscle memory. Yes, they work, but they need more care and patience; would hate to use them for laying line!

Resilience, insulation, dexterity. Pick any two.

The G17K gloves (black outside, white inside) are the standard ones included with Kubis and other glove rings. These have good dexterity but need to be checked by holding the ring and inflating the glove and listening for leaks before every dive.

The thick textured gloves remove most of your feeling and thus dexterity. But they’re warmer and more resistant to penetration or tearing.

I have never felt any issues with dexterity with my Showa 720 gloves, not even when using thick gloves underneath, they are durable as hell.
If you'd rather use thinner gloves for extra dexterity that sounds like a gear solution to a skills problem.

Practice makes perfect.

I have never felt any issues with dexterity with my Showa 720 gloves, not even when using thick gloves underneath, they are durable as hell.
If you'd rather use thinner gloves for extra dexterity that sounds like a gear solution to a skills problem.

Practice makes perfect.
Absolutely.

The Showa "Smurf" gloves need special techniques to put on to a Kubi glove ring as the inside is a textured material. Haven't used them for diving yet. I think they're between the thick black textured gloves and the thinner ones.

Have used them for caving; very good for that.

Will try them on the new Santi suit. Going for its maiden dive in a crappy lake tomorrow; will tell it that the dive sites will improve :cool:

Yeah, I really like my 720's. I am rough with them and there's been a few holes here and there. I actually just picked up a pair of Showa 3416.. supposed to be pretty heavy duty cut resistant

The Rolok seal protection bands work well for gripping the rings while donning and doffing

The 720s are different than the Smurf gloves. They are nitrile rather than PVC and are more cut-resistant. I've worn them with two pairs of glove liners in cold water, but usually, one set of 4th Element liners is good enough.

Back
Top Bottom